1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Question This DVC stuff :)

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by keith, Jan 12, 2014.

1. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

ok well 1 night in december 2014, non-discounted rack rate, BLT mid week, studio, theme park view = $550 ish (crazy price)

so 3 nights would be about 1500ish (probably going up as years go on)

so assuming it would take 3*19 points to stay there, 60 ish points at okw say about $4500

So basically it'd pay for itself inside about 3-4 yrs
  2. Lisa1976

Lisa1976 Addicted to Mickey

No brainier then Keith :)

Take the plunge, you won't be sorry!!
  3. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I think I kinda like the dabbling idea. I could easily think of a few K for 50/60 points whereas 10k/20k just feels such a lot
  4. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

The longer you wait to buy in, the more it will cost and the longer it will take to break even or pull ahead. You can certainly look at resale, but those rules between DVC and resale have changed in recent years, so check on that first and carefully. Used to be there was no difference what so ever.

As stated, points use depends upon time of year, location, type of accommodation within location… If there is a DVC along with the resort, you cannot use your points to stay in the hotel proper. We use points to stay at BC DVC villas, but if we want to stay in the hotel area, we need to use cash.

BUY WHERE YOU WANT TO STAY. Cannot stress that enough. In previous years, that was not such an issue, but it is now. I can be very difficult to book a villa 7 months out (which is the standard for non-home resorts). It's tricky now even with the DVC home resort window, depending upon when you want to go and the accommodation size. Booking a grand villa at OKW (our home resort) for Christmas is a down right challenge, and our use year begins in February!

I used to think that DVC was perfect for all repeat visitors. I no longer do. If you stay offsite in a house/villa for a reasonable cost, that is an excellent value.

If you are a repeat visitor and only stay on site, I still think DVC is a good value, depending upon when you like to go and what accommodations you use.

As always, DVC is more of a hedge against increasing costs in upcoming years than anything else. We keep ours (although I've pushed Herself to sell it in recent years) because we still like to stay onsite for special things. We may look into using our points for other types of non-WDW holidays. Not sure yet.
    keith likes this.
  5. Lisa1976

If you go every year I personally think it makes sense. You do get some benefits too, discounts at restaurants, the cheaper APs. Events like MNSSHP and MVMCP too

I think you may also get discounted room rates but not sure.
  6. Tink

Regarding the DVC member site, I have NEVER been able to successfully establish a log in!! I have called and had them on the phone with me, and it still doesn't work. Drives me insane. Ugh.

Oh, and about buying less than 150 points at a property, check into that carefully. It used to be a problem to book, etc. The rules and policies have changed so much since we purchased, I've not kept up on them, but would recommend you know exactly what they are before moving ahead.
  7. Lisa1976

I think we'll have to agree to disagree Tink :)

Never had problems with our small points amount and always found the members site really helpful, but then there will always be good and bad about everything. What one person loves about it the other doesn't. Would be boring if we're all the same :)

I'm just giving my knowledge about how we've used it, found it over the years we've owned :)
  8. Tink

Oh, I think it's great to have your input, especially since my information on purchasing is OLD! :D The site problems? No one can account for that. I know that most people have excellent results there. I think there is a permanent gremlin attached to my DVC member account. :D
  9. Vikki

Vikki Serious Forum Regular

I'd love to consider this, but would want to buy into somewhere like OKW. Is this only possible on resale nowadays?
  10. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

With the new DVC at the Poly, and the way our family is likely to change over the next ten years, I become more and more interested in the idea of this...

Moreover, Jon is becoming more interested as well. I'm not sure if that's because he's really interested, or just resigned to the knowledge that we're not going to grow tired of it ;)
    Mari likes this.
  11. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

The building a DVC resort at the Polynesian is the only thing that has ever piqued my interest into buying DVC. That being said, I still think the annual dues are ridiculous especially in comparison to other timeshares
  12. Tink

I don't know how you would do it, but I do know that I've had several people tell me they told Disney that they would only buy XXXXX (for you OKW) and they wanted x number of points. Disney manages to come up with it. Not sure how they do it, perhaps right of first refusal plays into it. All that to say, if you want OKW talk with Disney and see what they can do.
  13. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

I keep going round and round in circles with this and a villa. Although I do want to go to WDW and can envisage once a year in the future it will be at non peak times. It's never the accommodation costs that would stop me going as you can stay somewhere for £500 a week if you need, the same price as dues. It's the flight costs which are obviously cheaper off peak- usually half the price. We would also like to go somewhere else on holiday once a year so I think the villa is out as if we bought one we'd probably have to have every holiday there to justify. The cost of the villa can be quite reasonable, it's all the fees, bills on top and potential hassle from guests. I would really like to think I had a bit of the DVC magic though :lol:
  14. Vikki

That's interesting. I think OKW would be best for us to be honest because it's the cheapest in terms of points and since we go in the summer it'd be the best value. Flights are a killer though. I really want to do it, but it's just the initial outlay that seems so expensive. Even though I know it'd be worthwhile in the long run.......
  15. Tink

We truly love OKW.
  16. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

Vikki do it now if you can, i so wish we had when ours were that age :)
  17. Vikki

I would do it in a heartbeat, I just need to convince DH. We've used free dining in the past and I know he won't even consider it until that goes away. Don't mention about how its not really 'free' though, I've been through all of that with him :-D
    I think the most likely time to buy in will be around our 2016 trip. I'd like to do the whole DVC tour thing..... also, Ava starts school next September 2015, so I'm thinking that DVC would be a great thing to use all those nursery savings on :wink:
  18. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Sounds like a plan to me Vikki.
  19. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

I think you can only buy Grand Floridian or Aulani if you buy directly from Disney. It you buy resale, then youve got your choice of resorts and use years :)

Buying direct I think at the moment its $155 per point a Grand Floridian, but maybe its stil $150... The advantages are that you become a DVC member almost immediatly, you get your member number, contract, points, DVC member card (which gives you 10% discount at all Disney shops, including Disney Store anywhere in the US). The disadvantages are the price, and that the resort choices are limited, unless you dontmind being on a waitlist for the resort you want.

When you buy resale, you get a much better deal cost wise, but it will take a few months to close the deal, and its a back and forth negotiation, and i the end, at the last stage, Disney can choose to buy the contract from the seller and you have to start the process all over again. However, you can get almost any resort you want, and you can negotiate even a better price than the one posted.

the difference apart from price and time? If you buy direct you can use your points to book everything and anything DVC has to offer, although its not really wise cost wise, you can do it. When you buy resale, you are limited to using your points at DVC properties, which in the end, its the best use of points cost wise, so it might not make a difference for you to have or not have that option. Apart from that, there are no differences in ownership once you are an owner.

As for booking, you can book 11 months out at your home resort. This advantage really comes in handy during busy seasons, like booking The Beach Club Villas during Food & Wine, or Wilderness Lodge during Xmas. If you want to stay at a resort you dont own at, you have to wait until 7months out. It might not make a difference dependeing on the time of the year you visit or if you are flexible on your accomodation needs. However, if you want to buy DVC to have a specific view or type of accomodation, you cant be 100% sure you will get it every single time.

So... I think there are 2 camps of DVC owners... the "buy where its cheaper" camp and the "buy where you want to stay" camp :)
    Beccaberry and Wendy like this.
  20. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Great explanation Mari :)