1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Question This DVC stuff :)

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by keith, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Really good and updated info, Mari. It used to be that there were no differences at all between the two forms of purchase other than Disney would finance if your credit was good. Some other minor bits, but nothing as significant as not being able to use the points in the same manner between the two.
  2. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

Quick question RE: resell DVC's

I thought I'd read somewhere that if you purchase a DVC property through a private party (a resale), you only receive the DVC rights for the number of years remaining on that contract. So for instance, if a contract was originally purchased as a 40 year contract, kept for 10 years and then resold - the person purchasing the resale would only have a 30 year DVC ownership.

Is that correct? Or, does the membership "reset"?
  3. Tink

I don't know, but I would hazard a guess that it does NOT reset. I would imagine you are buying what remains.
  4. Beccaberry

I don't find it much of a stretch to believe it could be true. If it is, it would definitely be another reason to consider buying through Disney - at least for us.
    Tink likes this.
  5. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

Thats true. Contracts for DVC last for 50 years, so, contracts for any of the first built DVC properties will expire sooner than the ones for BLT and GFV. The only one where this doesnt necessarily happen is OKW, but only for the contracts that were extended
  6. Beccaberry

Thanks, Mari! You're becoming quite the authority on all things DVC! You're a quick study! I'll be picking your brain A LOT in the upcoming months!
    Mari likes this.
  7. Tink

Thank you so much, Mari! It's good to have someone in the know for the new policies. Things have changed quite a bit. :yes:
    Mari likes this.
  8. Beccaberry

Have just spent over an hour on a DVC Resale site digging and researching (with a dash of dreaming thrown in for good measure)...this could be dangerous.

The prices aren't quite as bad as I thought they would be...
  9. Mari

Well, Im in no way an expert, but did have to dig around and ask a lot before purchasing! ;)

So Ill be more than happy to help wherever I can :)
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
    Beccaberry likes this.
  10. Mari

You enter a waitlist, and then when a contract of that type shows up, Disney buys it, and then sells it to you. The thing is, if you are picking a sold out resort, you will get a much better deal in the resale market than with Disney, and you can check out various companies and ask to be notified when something ismilar to waht you want shows up. It will be cheaper. Especially because with Disney you could be waitlisted for months.
    Beccaberry likes this.
  11. Beccaberry

So...talk to me a little about "use year" :confused:
  12. Tink

Well, from my "old info" perspective, use year is defined by the first month in which your points are renewed. For us it is February. Every February, we get our points placed in our account, minus any we borrowed the year before. We can reserve our home resort 11 months out from our use year month. Any other resort has to wait until 7 months out. Use year will also drive the time frame in which you have to bank any points you may want to bank. If you don't bank them by a certain date, you'll have to use them.

Hopefully, that gives you a feel for use year, but hopefully someone else who can better explain it, and fill in any blanks I've left will come along!
  13. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

So what happens when your contract is up? Do you get an option to extend or will they resell?
  14. Britchick

Also, if you buy resale can you use the points at disney land California and Paris? Thanks
  15. Mari

As Tink mentioned, its the month when your new points appear in your account. Since you can always borrow points from next year, it might not be a factor what your use year is.

The importance of use year really depends on the time of yearyou travel, mainly in case of a cancellation. If you travel during the first 8 months of your use year, if you ever were to cancel your trip, you would still have enough time in your use year to travel again or rent those points out and not lose them. However, say you have a December use yearand you regularly travel for Xmas, if you were to have to cancel your trip, you would only have until December 30th of that same year to use said points, so you would probably lose them.

The other thing about use year, depending on use year is your banking window. This is in case you will not travel 1 year and want to use those current year points for next year's holiday. I thought it would be complicated to remember, but the DVC website is super user friendly and it willlet you know your final banking date, what your 7month window is at any given day, and what your 11 month window is :)
  16. Mari

In theory you could book Villas at Grand Californian with your points. In practice it is apparently very difficult to do unless you own there because the resort is tiny. So most rooms are booked by 7months.

Paris, there is no DVC property there. I think you could use your points for a regular resort room, but Im not 100% sure on that!
    Britchick likes this.
  17. Beccaberry

Great information, Mari and Tink! Thank you!!! :hug2:
  18. Vikki

Vikki Serious Forum Regular

I'm wondering about this too. Once the contract is up, is that it? Everything goes?
  19. Beccaberry

From what my research has suggested and from what I've read, yes that's about right. Disney (and you) have fulfilled your contractual obligation and you part ways.

In the situation of OKW, they did offer an extension at one time (into 2057, I believe) but there has been no indication whatsoever that this is something they might offer at other DVC properties.

That's always been a sticking point for me with DVC...that feeling that I never actually OWN anything, I'm basically just renting it for 50 years (not entirely accurate, as it's still an investment; but you know what I mean). With any other timeshare I've ever considered, I actually own something in perpetuity.

Of course, I'm starting to get over that ;)
  20. Britchick

for me the length is fine, i will be into my 80s :jawdrop: when it ends. But would like the kids to benefit, although by then they'll be in their 50s!! :hide: