1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Tiny planning question

Discussion in 'Transportation & Travel' started by Dawn, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

If I'm planning on doing online check in do I need to request seats now or do I do it when I do the check in thing?:unsure:
  2. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

Thing that really gets my goat about booking seats is we booked ours ages in advance - then confirmed a few weeks before and when we flew out and when we came back we couldn't even get on the floor we'd booked let alone the seats - the vacant desk clerk just said

'its all 1st come 1st served'

:unsure: so whats the point :unsure: - maybe I'm doing it wrong
  3. arkvilla

arkvilla Addicted to Mickey

We've chosen our seats online for our trip in July ( we did it the day we booked) but they do say they won't guarantee the seats...

We've only once not got the one's we booked online

Sandra
  4. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

Its happened to us every single time
  5. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

sighs and nods :(

Dawn, best way to do it is to book what you can get now yep. Then when you do online checkin, if there are seats available, the seat map will pop up and you'll get a chance to change them to any that are then available. (that's in theory, I've never once seen the seat map at online checkin time, but I'm assured that's because all the seats would have gone... despite them always saying they hold back a large percentage to allocate at checkin!).

So all you can do is try to book seats you can live with as soon as you can then keep checking to make sure you have them.

End of the day as Skywatcher says, you can still get bumped right up to you get on the plane with the most likely "bumping" taking place on the day of the flight.

My experience trying to fix things always matches Skywatchers. The attitude of the checkin folks seems to be "hey you're on the plane so what's your problem"?

We turned up at Manchester once, 3 hours early, to be told that the plane had been changed and there were less seats and as couple without kids we hadnt yet been allocated a seat. There was this strange silence as the checkin agent looked at me, I looked back wondering if that was it and we were supposed to smile say thanks and go home? In the end, not very happily, she phoned the behind the scenes people and got us some seats but what the heck?

Honestly airflight must be the only thing where they're allowed to sell more than they have and then utterly fail to deliver and you can't do a thing!
  6. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

I reckon that we must be among the lucky ones as we have always been given the seats we booked....touch wood! :lol:
  7. keith

You two are just too nice to get bumped :lol:
  8. MystikPiglit

MystikPiglit Peace, Love and Mickey Mouse

I book them online as soon as I'm able, then I check back regularly and when we do online check-in.
    Then we do twilight check-in and ask for the exit row seats instead, if they're available. :yes:
    We have also been lucky with being given our booked seat numbers.
  9. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

Now you are making me blush Keith. [Flattery will get you everywhere! :lol:]
  10. keith

:lol:
  11. Dawn

Hmmmm, it appears I don't have the right reference number to do this.
  12. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

same here :)
  13. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

you can get it from who you booked with dawn :yes:
  14. Dawn

S'ok going to wait until OLCI as then I can nick Skywatcher's seats. :evil:
  15. tb2830

tb2830 Addicted to Mickey

when you do online check in do you have to print off something and what then happens when you get to the airport ????
  16. Dawn

Well the way I've read it is you can check in online, snag some seats and print off your boarding passes. Then at the airport you breeze past all the plebs lining up and go to a special place where they take your bags and then whizz through security straight into duty free.

Of course someone will come along now and tell me that's completely wrong. :lol:

And I'm just talking Gatwick here.
  17. tb2830

tb2830 Addicted to Mickey

thanks dawn !!! so you cant do online check in for manchester ?????
  18. Dawn

Hmm according to VA website you can OLCI anywhere except Trinidad and Grenada.
  19. Dawn

Online Check In

Flights are opened for Online Check In from 24 hours to 2 hours prior to scheduled departure times.
    Click here to check-in online.
    Log on using name, booking reference, flight number and date of travel.
    Confirm your flight details.
    Add any additional passengers you wish to check in with you.
    Confirm, amend or add any details required for immigration purposes (you will need your passport to hand to complete this).
    A seat will be allocated to you but you can change this by selecting the 'seat map' button.
    An Email will be sent to the email address you provided to confirm you are checked in.
    Go to the airport. Due to enhanced security screening at the airport we recommend passengers to arrive at least 2 hours prior to scheduled departure. Passengers who have failed to drop their bags and collect their boarding documents 60 minutes prior to scheduled departure of their flight will not be able to travel.
    At the airport go straight to a Virgin Atlantic Bag Drop, including passengers with hand luggage only.
    At the bag drop passengers are required to show their passport, paper tickets or E-ticket to collect their boarding documents and check their bags in.
    At London Gatwick, Twilight check in can also be used for online check in bagdrop.

Q Where can we use Online check In?

All flights are available for Online Check In except flights from Tobago and Grenada.

Q Where will I find the Bag Drops?

These are located next to our regular Check In desks in the airport terminal and signed accordingly.
  20. keith

You sure can do OLCI at Manchester! indeed Manchester is all I know about since that's where we always fly from with Virgin nowadays.

In fact it changed some time ago.

It used to be that there were checkin desks for all the people who didnt do OLCI, then there was a PE desk, an UPPER desk and a special OLCI desk.

Now even though you checkin online and print boarding passes, you still have to go to the desk to finish it all off, check the bags and so on.

OLCI was wonderfully effective because you did indeed breeze past all the people who hadn't done it :D

However at Manchester now, there's one huge economy queue. If you've done OLCI you join the end of it, if you HAVENT done OLCI then you have to use special terminals to DO the checkin and THEN join the queue.

So the story is everyone at Manchester has to do OLCI now, it's just whether you do it at home or the airport and then you join the same large economy queue :(