1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

tipping again

Discussion in 'Restaurants, Dining, Dining Plans' started by goofygal, Oct 24, 2008.

1. goofygal

goofygal Imagineer

I know youve talked about it and ive read them all but Im still not totally clear

How much do we tip at a restaurant and how much at a buffer and how much at the bar

Im confused because Ive been told double the tax, 20% of the whole bill, 20% of the bill without tax, 15-20 with 25 if good

I've been told at a buffet it's 10% but then the card that comes with the bill says 15-20 or it did last time

I've been told $1 a bag for the people who bring the luggage but then other people say $2 or $10 minimum if it comes to less than that!

What about people outside the hotel who just open a taxi door for us? do I have to give them dollars? and if so, how do I tell them to just leave it I'd rather open the door formyself and save my money for the mall :lol:

See what I mean :( its all confusing

2. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

Gratuities really are confusing. There are no hard and fast rules, and your budget definitely has to be part of the equation.

Full service restaurants: Begin at 15% of total before tax for average service. Most WDW restaurants seem to expect 18% as a minimum. If service is good, we usually tip 20% (always before tax), occasionallly 25% if service is incredible or the server had to deal with a lot of special requests. Sales tax in the Orlando area is around 7%, which is where people get the "double the tax amount for the tip" equation.

Buffets: Depends on the service. If the server fills our glasses once and only has to remove dishes once, usually about 10%. Sorry--I'm doing all the work! If the server is attentive or has to remove dishes several times, 15%. We had one server at CP last year who was incredible--I don't remember the percentage, but we tipped over 20%. :lol: All amount are based on the total before tax.

Airport: If using Skycap services or curbside check-in, around $2 for larger/heavier bags, $1 for light/small bags. I'm usually lazy and just tip $5, rather than having a bunch of $1.

Resort: Bell Services or Luggage Services: You'll get a lot of different answers. If they have to store my luggage, I'll usually tip $1 per bag to the attendant who takes the bags and issues the claim checks, $2 per bag to the person who delivers them. If Luggage Services, where they just check and return bags (without delivering), usually $1 per bag when checking and $1 per bag when picking up. Again, I'm doing most of the work.

I really don't know the protocal for tipping those who hail taxis for you--particularly when the taxis are in a visible queue and it's obvious you're waiting for one. :rolleyes: I usually just tip $1 when solo and $2 if with others for the unneccesary service. You also have to tip the taxi driver when you reach your destination.

3. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

One thing I noticed on our recent trip which I`m sure was not there before, was that in many restaurants your bill comes with an 18% and 20% value already worked out for you.
    It`s not actually added onto your bill, but it`s there to help with the maths. [After a few glasses of wine it sure does help with the maths!] :lol:

4. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Tipping is a hateful thing, isn't it? :sigh;

Few hard and fast rules exist, and as you'll see most of them depend upon the category of service. Never include the tax amount when you calculate a tip. Base your tipping on the service you recieved, not on your emotional response to be blackmailed for additional money. I'm serious! I've had servers who were wretched, but turned on the high powered smile and personality when presenting the bill. Too little too late. I start at 15% and go upwards. If I feel I need to go downwards, then I speak with a manager. I use the 15% starting point at buffets, as well (WDW buffets anyway).

For other types of tipping (barkeeps for example) I use 10% of the total. A bartender gets paid at a higher level than a server, and the IRS automatically assumes a 10% tip on any wages, so I use that amount. I rarely tip more, unless I've had a special drink invented for me. (Hey! It's happened)! LOL.

Baggage? I tip $1 a bag, unless it's wicked heavy or fragile, then I may add more, depending. Taxi drivers are in the 10% league, too.

Hair dressers? 10% unless the person is the owner of the salon. I may not tip at all then, as Miss Manners says that is totally inappropriate. :D (Most owners do not share that opinion however).

Chamber maid service is a "depending on how I'm "paying" " matter. If I'm at a DVC resort on points, no additional amount is left for the chambermaid as my dues covers that. If I'm staying on dollars at any resort, then I tip according to the number of people (very rough estimate-I start at $1 per person) paying per day.

Hope that helps a bit. The only ones you really need to concern yourself with are the food servers and barkeeps as the IRS is automatically involved in their incomes. The rest are all up to you. Again, don't be blackmailed into tipping for something you did not get!

5. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

yeah which stops me from being like I was in Charleys, opening the bill every 10 seconds to check that I'd tipped properly so I didnt embarrass Sir Slowhand :lol:

Thing is, those totals often seem to be 18% of the whole bill rather than 18% before tax which I always thought was the correct calculation?

6. lexie

lexie Earning my ears

We find as we are such a large group ours is always added on the bill they put 15-18% but buffett places do not add it so i think it is more discretionary in that situation

7. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

Before tax is the correct calculation. You are tipping based on your selections, not tax added by the state, county and city. The tax is collected by the establishments on behalf of the various governments and transmitted to the taxing agencies.

Depending on the tax rate, 18% on the entire bill probably is roughly equivalent to 20% on purchases only. If you were the server/establishment, which would you prefer? :wink: BTW, I didn't do any calculations--it's a rough estimate! :lol:

8. pigletpete

pigletpete Imagineer

must say its the worst part of a disney holiday for me, they never seem happy with whatever we give even at 20%

9. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

That's the emotional blackmail that I'm warning against. Anything you give is more than they would have without it, so don't lose sight of that, ok?

Remembering that the IRS assumes a 10% tip on servers wages, anything above 10% will give them a bit extra in their pocket. Being a server in most restaurants (mass market buffets excluded) is quite lucrative.

My niece (who is now a triple degree lawyer :rolleyes: ) put herself through school as a server, and made more money at it than with her first position under her first degree.

It is not an easy job by any means, but it's not as low paying as the flat rate wages would imply.

10. MystikPiglit

MystikPiglit Peace, Love and Mickey Mouse

Thanks for that interesting fact. :)