1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Tipping...

Discussion in 'General' started by Isafari, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

Thinking of booking a private photo shoot with a Disney photographer....would we tip him/her?

Tracy/Teresa, did you tip?

2. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

That's an excellent question. I would like to know as well!

3. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I would think not. They would come under the heading of artist, or professional (like a chef) to me and I'd not think it appropriate to tip them.

4. Dizneyblonde

Dizneyblonde Secret's Birthday Fairy!

I didn't tip and I don't think Tracy did.

5. Isafari

Thanks guys. Sometimes I'm never sure and don't want to insult anyone by tipping or not tipping!!

6. Tink

Tipping is a miserable practice.

Tipping should only be done for:
    servers (as their wage depends upon their tips)
    taxi drivers (although I don't really know how their wage structure works)
    Porters/bell hops - those people who handle your luggage
    hairdressers
    mani/pedicurists
    massage treatments

Those sorts of things. Don't try to tip the person who helps with your groceries at Publix as tipping them is not allowed.

Housekeeping is paid a fair wage and tipping is NOT required regardless of what you may have been told, or think. :)

On board ship, the tipping structure is very different, but is explained per cruise line as they differ slightly between ships.

Disney park CMs should not be tipped. They are supposed to refuse if it is offered.

7. Isafari

Thanks Tink, that's a great help and will stop any embarrassing moments in the future :yes:

8. Tink

Never let anyone embarrass you over a tip. :( :hug2: Glorified begging, that's what it is (with the exception of servers, as I said before).

9. piglet

piglet Serious Forum Regular

Tink have you ever been given the rough end of somebody's tongue when you don't tip as much as they expect? Frightened the life out of me and I now tend to over-tip just in case I get another mouthful :hide::hide:

10. Tink

No, I can't say as I have, but I've had a server behave poorly thereafter. (Nothing verbal, but defintely action wise).

If someone were to speak to me poorly after a tip, for any reason regarding the tip, I would immediately call for a manager and demand the tip back.

If it were a cabbie, I would tell him to return my tip money immediately or I would phone the police and report him for theft.

I will not be held hostage by beggars who make more for a living than do I! :nono:

Again, servers get paid less than $3 per hour and are expected to make their real wage on tips. I find that system stupid and ridiculous and would much prefer paying more for my meal (keep in mind that more would be a relative term as I do tip, so therefore the money I spent would not necessarily be more) as printed on the menu and be done with it.

Friends of mine once had a server THROW THE MONEY back at them when they incorrectly calculated the tip. They were horrified more that she thought they'd tip so little. I told them to return and speak with the manager and report the server, which they did. They were given vouchers for a free meal, but never did use them. Who would?

As you can see, tipping is a very sore subject with me! :spring: :sorry:

11. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

That's exactly it. When I go to Orlando, much as I love it, even though I'm hardly a shrinking violet :lol:, I do feel at the mercy of a very well practised tip scam.

Everyone seems so thoroughly experienced at getting the maximum tip and making guests feel uncomfortable.

Tip the "normal amount" and we rarely get any thanks, normally it's a look something like "is that all, hmmmm!" so people end up thinking they should overtip to avoid it but then you find that even overtipping slightly doesn't avoid "the look".

In fact rarely do I ever feel that the person is genuinely appreciative of the gratuity.

We try hard now to just accept the practice as "the way it's done" and not worry about if we've tipped well or not because we ended up tipping 15-20 and constantly thinking that they werent happy with it anyway.

12. tb2830

tb2830 Addicted to Mickey

no diane i didnt tip for the photo sessions (does that make me mean ) :donald:

13. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

I think the US could learn a lot from the Europeans on restaurant pricing and tipping. In almost every country I visited in Europe the tip and tax are included in the prices shown in the menu. I think this would alleviate a lot of problems.

Of course sit down dining at Disney is already extremely pricey and putting tax and tip on top of those prices is going to make it even more pricey but at least we wouldn't have to worry about how much to sort out for tips.

14. keith

agreed John.

I think the tipping situation has moved from a genuine reward for service rendered, to an expected bonus for the job, however poorly done. So in that way, it's now failing its original remit and we may as well just move to having an all-inclusive figure with no expectation of more (that would be the most important change).

In a way I see the Disney tables in wonderland card as that. I buy it up front, It gives me 20% back on every meal which I just leave as the tip.

15. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

We've done the private photopass thing a couple of times and did not leave a tip.

I hate the whole practice of tipping so I tend to overtip most of the time to compensate for that. I always get at least a thanks from people even if they haven't seen the tip. I have never had anyone yell at me. I would have a fit if they did. That is beyond rude!

16. keith

When we were leaving the polynesian on our wedding trip, we were being helped into the towncar by the driver when a really pushy luggage services guy ran up to him and was "quietly and aggressively whisper yelling" in his ear (if that makes any sense). It got quite heated and he forced the driver to drop our stuff, then proceeded to start putting the rest of it in the towncar himself.

Well the driver looked really upset and quite scared to be honest, he was shaking as he opened the door for us. I said "what was said? I'll go and complain?" he said no sir please dont, I won't be allowed back here if you do.

Anyway, it was a hot day and he wanted us in the car with the AC on so he shut the door and when the bell hop guy saw that, he really started shouting at the driver, finger in his face etc. I got out just in time to see the bell hop, obviously angry at being done out of a tip, throw the wedding dress half in the trunk and shut the lid on it (it only ripped the bag not the dress in the end, not that I knew at the time).

Well I had a few carefully chosen words with the bell hop :lol:, then his manager, then the duty manager of the hotel but you could just see that the attitude was all to support the guy after the tips rather than "some random driver".

The poor driver was so shaky that he had to stop twice on the way to the airport and he kept calling his boss to see if Disney had complained about him :( I gave him a letter to give to his office explaining he'd been the perfect driver and to call me if any problems but grrrrrrrr the whole tipping thing, I'm SO over it.

17. Johnie

That is horrible!

Oh wait, I have had people be nasty about tips....cabbies. Both time it was a cab driver and I was leaving a tip but their stupid machine was saying I wasn't. argh.

18. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

Is that the time we were together? I remember that!

19. Johnie

Yes, that was the second time it happened.

We have since learned Auntie Tink's Take No Prisoners cabbie lessons :yes:

20. Tink

I don't see how adding 20% to the current cost of a meal, plus tax would make anything more expensive. It's the amount that we are spending now, and it would relieve us all from having to do the tip dance, or tug of war as it may be.

I know that there are some people who do not tip 20% and that the IRS only taxes the servers on an expected 10% (but they must report the additional amount) so there is leeway there between the 10 and 20% to add it to the cost of a meal.

Pay it in the stated price, or leave it as an unappreciated tip, either way, I'm spending money. :shrug: