1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Tipping

Discussion in 'General' started by Isafari, Jul 9, 2008.

1. SleepinCatz

SleepinCatz Fluffeh Disney Fan

it seems to me that these servers are not being properly trained. My trainer taught me that the customers comfort was #1...some ppl don't like someone hovering around...others want you right at thier elbow. You learn how to read your csrs...then treat them with respect and curtesy. We were taught to NEVER ask if they want change, to bring them what was owed to them and Never hint at a possible tip. I had days where I would have 10 tables and only make about $2 in tips, but I also had days where I made $200 on one table. NEVER once did I show disrespect to a customer for any reason! I am blessed in that I learned my trade and never sufferred the "penny" tip.

2. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I think that is very true, 'Catz. Lack of proper training is quite often the case. We see that with WDW too. Since they've reduced the length of training for their new CMs you can really see a difference in the quality of the service level.

I had a discussion with a Lowe's manager just the other day; suggesting that one of their employees needed more training.

3. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I wish everyone were like that!

The problem is that the whole tipping thing is a spiral of doom :mad: Can start with a nasty customer as easily as a nasty server but either way, they treat the next server/customer poorly because of the last experience and in return get treated badly themselves and before long every customer is prejudged as a poor tipper and every server prejudged as just out for the money :(

One of the servers who ringed the "Gratuity expected" bit was at Ruby Tuesdays at the florida mall. She'd had to take our order about three times because she was talking to her friend whilst asking us what we wanted. I asked if they had a bottle of a specific wine "dont know" :rolleyes008: well can you find out? so then we get the "uh-huh" treatment. Everything we say it just gets "uh huh" in a disinterested tone. She goes away, comes back and says "we dont have that wine but we have another red".... well what type is it? "red" any more information? <silence> can you perhaps bring the bottle so we can see it then? "no we're not allowed to bring it out unless you buy it". I mean come on? then end of the meal and having not seen her the whole meal, not even checked if everythings ok, she hovers waiting for the tip. GRRRRR

4. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

Tink, you were in Tarpon Springs and didn't swing by? I'm hurt, we could have had lunch, you were so close. ;):hug2:

Don't get me started on tipping. I hate tipping, especially my hairdresser, I'm already paying a bundle for service.

I think the US should just pay everyone a working/living wage and not expect people to survive on tips.

Why should we tip for a service we're already paying for???????? :rolleyes2:

5. Tink

Oh NO! You live near Tarpon Springs? :( Phooey.

You've sure had some wicked storms out there lately! :eek:

Yeah, Keith that's my favorite. A poor server, who then turns on the brilliance at the end of the meal. Seems as though there is some "training" out there that says if you are cheerful and smile brightly during the last thirty seconds of contact with your customer you'll get a big tip. Too bad I have a longer memory.

My neice (the one who is now an attorney) was a server for a long time while going to school. She was one of the wonderful ones, and I feel as though I have a good idea of how hard it is to be a server. However, that doesn't mean I'm going to expect shoddy service. :nono: Done with that. Too many places to take my money, you know? Especially now when business is clearly off for many of the restaurants. No way am I putting up with lousy service and then returning. :(

6. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

:eek3: Gosh.....I only wanted to know if I should be tipping the barman for pouring me a drink!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lol:

7. Tink

LOLOLOL! Well, you sure did get an earful, didn't you Isafari! :D Started quite a popular thread here, you did. :yes: :hug1:

8. SleepinCatz

SleepinCatz Fluffeh Disney Fan

We have "fired" alot of resturants here in Baton Rouge. You get 3 shots at us...on the third one if you fail you are fired!

9. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

I do admit that as a Brit I have forgotten but DH has soon picked it up and dealt with it. We forget because we don't have to do it here. So when we do genuinly forget it gives all Brits a bad name.

10. keith

been a great and useful thread though! :yes:

11. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

Just don't ask about reclining ;)

12. keith

:rofl:

13. cathydisneynut

cathydisneynut Imagineer

not going to ask....not going to ask....;)

14. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

*pokes* oh go on.... you know you want to...

15. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

I would certainly ask....but since I've no idea what it even means.....I might put my foot in my mouth....

16. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

Is that a dare!!!:lol:

17. cathydisneynut

cathydisneynut Imagineer

sounds like it!!:lol:

18. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

Have to admit, I'm with Tink when a server asks if I want my change. Of course I do! Good grief!

I gave a decent server at ESPN a lower tip last December because she asked that. I had planned on 25% since I don't drink alcohol and I know they make a lot of their tips on drinks. Went down to about 18%.

I hate doing it, but they really need to learn not to ask how I want to spend my money!

19. keith

Mind you, we talk about tipping, how bad is THIS one.

Went to a local restaurant, server we've known for MANY years and we tip him EXTREMELY well, like 40% every time.

So I take some clients out and DW is with us. Few hundred quid bill at the end.

I go round the corner to pay, and I hand him his tip. Right into his hand so he doesnt have to share it because he's pleaded with us on other occasions that since he waits on us, why should he split it with 10 other servers. (perhaps thats mean, I dont know but ok, I guess I saw his point)

So he says thanks and leaves. Later in the car DW says how come you didn't give him his tip when you paid? I said I did why? She said well he came round, and I said "have you seen Keith?" (as in has he taken care of your tip etc.) he says no, so she gave him ANOTHER tip and he didnt say a word.

I've tried to rationalise this.. perhaps he genuinely didnt understand, didnt want to embarass by saying "oh no it's ok thanks, your husband has taken care of it" or something but end of the day, I think he knew exactly what he was doing :(

20. cathydisneynut

cathydisneynut Imagineer

Thats just awful Keith! Are you tempted to go back and not tip at all?