1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Titanic attraction moving back to IDrive

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World News & Rumors' started by eeyoreguy, Sep 16, 2008.

1. eeyoreguy

eeyoreguy Earning my ears

The Orlando Sentinel reports that the Titanic attraction is to move back to Idrive

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/orl-titanic1008sep10,0,732365.story

The Titanic exhibit that sailed into Central Florida almost a decade ago is headed back to International Drive, with plans for a $2 million investment to modernize and expand the attraction.

Titanic -- The Experience, which introduces visitors to the world of the ill-fated ocean liner, will end its temporary run in the Orlando Science Center on Oct. 12. It will move to a 20,000-square-foot location at 7324 International Drive, a mile north of the now-demolished Mercado shopping-and-dining complex where the attraction had spent the first eight years of its existence.

"It was always the goal to go back to I-Drive and back to the tourist district," said David Christensen, a spokesman for Worldwide Licensing & Merchandising Inc., which owns the Titanic attraction. "It's a permanent location. We have a 25-year lease."

Titanic Ship of Dreams opened on International Drive in 1999. A bitter landlord-tenant dispute left the attraction homeless in August 2007, and it moved into the Orlando Science Center to avoid putting the memorabilia in storage.

By contract, the exhibit was required to stay at the government-supported science center until January 2009 -- but in May, the center sued Titanic's owners, accusing them of threatening to remove the exhibit early. The center won a court injunction, but the two parties said Tuesday they have reached a "mutually agreed upon decision" to let the exhibit leave now

2. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

That's great. We went to this in 2002. It was very emotional for me. I look forward to seeing it again.

3. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

:yes: Me too. Thanks for keeping us up to date Eeyoreguy :)

4. Claire

Claire She lost the crayons!

We visited this just this past Aug and I have to say it didn't seem as good as the time we visited at the Mercado. More due to the guide we had than the displays. There was no icy cold deck where we had to separate from our menfolk this time either.