1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

To Disney and back in less than 48 hours

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by DisneyFreak, Sep 18, 2012.

1. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak Serious Forum Regular

See this space for an upcoming trip report. The wifeypooh is downloading photos now and when I return home from work this evening I will begin. There will also be a dinning review of Sanaa at AKL-KV.
  2. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Brilliant, looking forward to reading all about it :D
  3. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

Sounds good....I'll wait here...oh wait, I have to work. Dang. I'll be back then. :D
  4. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Looking forward to it.
  5. DisneyFreak

Sorry for the delay. Technical difficulty with the home internet. Service is coming out today and hopefully it will be fixed by the time I get home.
  6. DisneyFreak

To Disney and back in less than 48 hours (TR started)

Finally, the home internet issues are resolved so I can start the trip report.

A little background information....my wife's Aunt was visiting us for the first time and she has never been to WDW in her 62 years of life. So we borrowed some DVC points from my Mom for a one night stay at AKL-KV savannah view.

We left Ft Myers around 5:45 that Saturday morning. I love leaving this early (or earlier) since there is little to no traffic and the sun isn't beating down on us. We listened to park music all the way up. It's usually close to a 3 hr drive from Ft Myers. I generally don't take I75 to I4 since it goes too far west. I like the back roads through Arcadia, Avon Park and Lake Wales and pick up I4 from HWY 27. It's about the same time wise but less miles.

We pulled up to AKL-KV around 9:15. My wife went to check-in and have them hold our luggage & food until our room was ready. When my wife came back out to the truck she informed me the room was all set. We were in our room before 10am!!!

While we were thrilled to be in our room so early the savannah view was not much of a view. It went out maybe 50-60 yards and then there was a fence and dirt road. Also if you are a smoker (like my wife's Aunt) this is NOT the resort for you. There are only two designated smoking areas in the whole resort and both are extremely far away....as is the lobby. We were at the far north end of the resort two sections from the end. We solved the Aunt's smoking issue by getting her an electronic cigarette. I did love the underground parking though!

We did see a fair amount of animals from the room. The Disney cast member in the one photo was very nice. It was just about to rain and the Red River Hogs were not coming by their horn command so he had to go them. He informed that they should be coming along this way shortly. I guess at this time of year there is a walnut tree that drops it nuts and the Hogs would rather eat those than the food that was waiting for them back in their dry homes.

Attached Files:

7. DisneyFreak

After having a snack in the room, unpacking and waiting for the rain to pass we headed over to the Epcot resort area. We parked at Boardwalk and walked around and shopped there for a bit. We then headed over to Beach Club for a surprise. On the way over there was a wedding going on. They had Cinderella's carriage and quite a number of Disney characters at the event. It was a beautiful day for a wedding. I was just wondering where they were going to honeymoon.

Once we got to the Beach Club we tried to walk through Stormalong Bay. Man have they gotten strick with the access there. We, as fully clothed people, couldn't even walk in. You think they were protecting a military site. Anywho...we turned around and headed to Beaches N Cream for....you guessed it....The Kitchen Sink. We have always wanted to try and it and we just had never made it in all of our other trips. It was delicious and I think the Aunt was a bit embarrased about all the attention we received for ordering it. I though it was pretty easy to eat once you got through all the whip cream (which we removed).

Once we finished the Sink....well, not actually finished but we took some of the non ice cream portions to go, we walked the rest of the way around the lagoon past Yacht Club and the Swan & Dolphin and headed back to the room to view more animals and relax before dinner at Sanna.

Attached Files:

8. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Serious Forum Regular

Wow we could not find Beaches N Cream :-( the kitchen sink look amazing!

The room look so nice and such a perfect location!
  9. DisneyFreak

It can be tricky to find if you haven't been there before.
  10. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

For future reference, if you go to the Beach Club, go out like you were going to the pool but stay right next to the building, turn left and walk like you are going to EPCOT you will stumble upon it. If you are coming off of the boat launch walk up like you were going to enter the building, but don't. Turn right and follow it around.
  11. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Better known as "That Guy"

Great pictures DF! I especially love that one with the fog. Very nice.