1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

to go to seaworld or not?

Discussion in 'SeaWorld/Discovery Cove/Aquatica' started by dumbo77, Oct 26, 2009.

1. dumbo77

dumbo77 Earning my ears

im not a huge fan of zoo's n the like and really dont like the idea of whales in captivity used for shows n the like in tiny little tanks. have read so much on seaworld ive got myself all confuzzeled now:unsure: so can you all please give me your honest opinion on seaworld n the shows they do? my kiddies would love to go on our next trip but im not sure i want them to see animals in captivity like this from what ive read:unsure: please could the kind people on here help me as ive never been to seaworld and am not sure what to expect (the kiddie winkles really want to go and i really dont want to dissappoint them)

thank you for any assistance

2. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I'm with you. I'm pretty hard on any type of park or zoo, or setting that holds animals captive. I'm particularly harsh about teaching animals to do behaviors other than their natural ones.

Now, having said all that, I did make it through Sea World ok. The park itself is pretty and easy to walk around. The shows are cute, and most do promote the positive benefits of what the trainers are doing with the animals/mammals.

Not going to tell you that you'll be one hundred percent pleased (Seth's Da really objected to some of it) but it's much better than Bush Gardens (in my sole opinion of course).

3. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

I too don`t like the thought of animals in zoos per see.
    Having said that the animal keepers at Seaworld think the world of their animals who are obviously contented in their environment as many of them have bred at Seaworld which is quite rare for certain animals held in captivity.

It`s well worth a visit IMHO. :thumbsup:

4. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

defo worth going :)

5. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

I'm not a fan of animals in captivity but man has been so selfish it's sometimes the only way to preserve them.

Anyway Sea World does it far better than any other place I've been to and we always pay a visit there. I reconcile my conscience by acknowledging the fact that Sea World do a tremendous amount of unseen work to help wildlife stay in the wild.

6. Disneybumble

Disneybumble The Secret is in the Sauce.

Agree with everybody. I to hate animals in small confined spaces. And at Sea world on the whole this isn't so. And the conservation work and teaching SW do is truly wonderful.

7. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

I think the manatees have had to be released, but Seaworld did save a few of them and they are pretty thin on the ground now :(

8. dumbo77

dumbo77 Earning my ears

thanks for the replies guys im now thinking im not gonna get upset whilst walking round, i really like this site everyone gives a totally honest nitty gritty answer which is just what i wanted.

thanks

9. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Helly does make a great point. They do much for rescues of manatees, and other sea mammals. :yes: So, going supports the good they do, even if some of it puts you off (and it will...but mostly you'll be ok). :hug2:

We are kind here, and honest. Honesty is kindness, yes? :yes: :hug2:

10. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

I don't agree with animals in captivity, however in seaworld I do think I'd much rather see them in captivity being bred for conservation than in another zoo.

They do fantastic conservation work and many of the behaviors they teach them to do, especially in the dolphin's case they do naturally. They however teach them to do it on command.

The training methods they use are not harsh and are all based on positive re-enforcement- the same way we train dogs to sit, rollover etc :yes:

Out of all the zoos and parks, this is the one I'm most comfortable with visiting. BG however, really, REALLY upsets me :sorry:

11. BigThunder

BigThunder a cool thingy

As many trips as we've made to WDW we still cannot make ourselves drift from the parks there to other theme parks. We just love our time on Disney property & even after so many visits, haven't grown tired of what they have to offer. I guess eventually we will check out Universal (again..did it once in 99..didn't leave anything there so i have no reason to go back) & Seaworld & whatnot.

12. Kate

Kate Serious Forum Regular

I really like Seaworld, its a park we visit 2 or 3 times on our holiday, we dont do many disney parks - Seaworld is definately a favourite and its the first park we go to

13. tabby

tabby Earning my ears

Mansfield in Nottinhamshire, England. In fact , Sh
    I always cry when i see manatees. i just fall inlove with them and think they are so wonderfull that i get overwhelmed x

14. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

I would much rather see animals, who are being treated well in captivity, there than out in the wild facing extinction due to indiscriminate slaughter.

15. Suebeattie

Suebeattie Addicted to Mickey

We've been to sea world a couple of times and enjoy it, you get to see animals you wouldn't normally see plus it would be good for your kiddies and I'm sure they will love it.
    One thing I will say, be prepared if you go up in the Sky tower. I was quite shocked at how big the park is but unfortunately how small some of the tanks seem, especially the whales one.
    I think I like the fact that places like sea world help save some of their animals when they are treated badly in other zoos.
    It will always be a park I will visit, not necesserially every time we visit Orlando though.
    :wiggle: