1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

To recline or not to recline, that's the question

Discussion in 'Transportation & Travel' started by Cinderella94, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Serious Forum Regular

Going to WDW in December I slowly reclined part way, after looking behind me first and when I was asleep the guy behind pulled himself up to get out of his seat and ripped half my hair out, waking me with a loud yelp :( I wasn't fully reclined and he was thin as a reed so he didn't need to pull half my hair out :(

2. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

I don't recline, simply out of preference rather than giving thought to the people behind me.

3. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Playing devil's advocate, it may not be a lack of empathy and caring on people's part. It could be that you reclining back into their personal space (of which there is hardly any on a flight) may be too much for them as well.

4. mainecoon lover

mainecoon lover Addicted to Mickey

I see what you are saying but i think the issue lies with

1- the airline companies for cramming people in like sardines
    2- that the individual needs to make sure they chose the correct class for them ie if they have very long legs then perhaps they should pay for extra legroom or PE.

This will always be a huge debate and has caused nothing but arguments else were. In the past when we have managed economy i have always made sure a family member is sat directly behind Beth and we all swap as not to cause grief for the other people. I would now never fly over an hour with Beth unless we were in UC. What i do not agree with though is airlines stopping the ability for seats to recline as this will stop those already limited in their everyday living to not be able to enjoy a holiday. We all need to stop and consider others in lives and not merrily go and not care about others. Beth would love to go back to WDW and we hope next year but with spiraling costs then its not looking very likely as we are looking at £3000 for just one person to fly UC let alone 3 of us and yes all 3 would have to fly UC.

I look forward to 2013 when new laws are brought in for airlines that do not provide the facilities for the likes of Beth to fly. This is an EU rule so unsure of USA.

5. Kate

Kate Serious Forum Regular

My husband is tall, we wouldnt be able to afford to fly PE :sorry:

6. mainecoon lover

I know what you are saying, just like us flying UC with Beth. This is why airlines need to rethink than cram in like sardines but at the end of the day its all down to profits. We only have one wage in this house due to me needing to be at home and this will never end unless i put Beth in residential or the worst happens. Why should your dh suffer and why should Beth not be able to go but there again in the end its down to individual and consideration. A no win argument

7. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

so so true :( I'm sure no one cares but society won't move forward an inch until we start caring about each other properly, realising that our lives are all intertwined and genuinely going out of our way to improve things for everyone.

I'm not trying to be a hopeless hippie or anything but who'd have thought that in the year 2011 someone who's a bit taller than average, has a disability or whatever should be worried about something as mainstream as flying because of something so DAFT as seats reclining and there not being enough space allocated to each person.

You can see why we haven't been contacted by aliens from another world can't you! they probably saw how we treat each other and thought whoa sod that :lol:

8. Kate

Kate Serious Forum Regular

They shouldnt charge so much for PE and def not UC - is it really worth all that extra money? Flying upper class would be the cost of another holiday!!

9. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

It's how the airlines make their money, if you think how much the air taxes and fuel costs then it doesn't leave that much for profit on an economy flight.

10. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

The US airlines that I typically fly don't even have extra legroom options.

I think the problem is the airlines cramming people in like sardines.

11. mainecoon lover

Dh would say yes but I really did not get to really experience it to be honest as to busy seeing to Beth. It was good as Beth was comfy which made a huge difference and I did not get of feeling like I had been pulled through a hedge backward. I was also not as tired in the evening. It was good to be served my meal when I wanted it and I still got a choice unlike being left with what ever is left in economy. The beds were not that comfy but better than economy of course.