1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Help to stay on disney or in villa?

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by pigletpete, Sep 5, 2013.

1. pigletpete

pigletpete Imagineer

Yep its time for that again

we've always stayed onsite and enjoyed the buses but friends back from a villa said what a wonderful time they'd had and with Disney prices going up it seems like it may be better

what are the pros and cons?

2. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

I`m in both camps here as we own a villa "over there" but we also love spending time at our favourite resort [the GF] whenever we go....thanks to our DVC points. :thumbsup:
    To me the best part about staying in the villa is that we can dine a darn sight cheaper off site and the food quality is equally as good.
    You also are obviously under no pressure to vacate your room for the cleaners :lol: , and it`s great to just relax for a while away from the hustle and bustle of WDW.
    On the other hand, there`s nothing like being in the heart of the "Magic" for a few days.
    We tend to spend 4/5 days at the GF on most trips so that we can do all of the Disney "stuff" and the remainder of the time is spent either at the villa or seeing more of Florida.

3. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

As much fun as it is to stay onsite (and we are DVC members, so that's what we do) I can only imagine it's much more cost effective to stay in a villa with plenty of room, and a pool, and more than one bathroom. Especially if there is a number of people going with you.

4. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

I'm a villa convert - love the space and freedom and the economics of doing this.

I do get a bit of jealousy though when I see those Disney buses and hanker for a few days in the heart of it all. Maybe a split stay is the way to go.

5. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I prefer to stay off site. The accommodations are larger, more bathrooms and usually cheaper. Then I get Disney jealousy and stay onsite. We hardly ever take advantage of EMH so it's just a waste for us.

6. susanm

susanm Imagineer

when I am on vacation i dont like to cook, or do laundry, so i usually stay onsite, usually at a value resort. i like the food courts decent and not to expensive food, and take time to eat in the parks (so i can sit and chill ou t for a while). i guess it depends on the person and your schedule.. i like to be at the parks for the early morning hours..not as crowded. then leave for the afternoon to cool of and relax then go back in the evening. good luck deciding

7. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Serious Forum Regular

Love doing both but the Villa will win out now for me because of the freedom of eating when I want and what I want plus the pool..... I do love a quiet private pool.

But gotta love those Disney buses. One day we'll do a split stay. If someone had only done villa and not stayed on site I would recommend to stay on site at least once.

8. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

the million dollar question

I like being immersed in the disney hotels but i also like my freedom in a villa. I really can't decide really! DH prefers a villa though as he likes his space and is not as keen as me on WDW.

9. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

We ALWAYS stayed onsite, have done nearly all the hotels, and never thought we'd change until we tried a villa. Since then we've completely changed our minds and now can't wait to stay back at the villa! it really feels like "coming home" and though we do some short split stays onsite, to be honest, we find ourselves wanting to be back at the villa.

It was hard to imagine that we used to spend three weeks in a tiny hotel room once we'd experienced the villa!

10. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

I`ve gotta agree with you on that one Keith. ;)
    Having said that we usually HAVE to spend a few days at the GF which is also like home from home to us, although now I guess our DVC points will have to fund the accommodation in the new DVC building.

keith likes this.
  11. robertcraig

robertcraig Serious Forum Regular

Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    I have stayed at a villa and on site there are advantages to both. The villa gives you freedom but you have to drive everywhere. On site means you can use the transport and if you have a drink there is no worry

12. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Definitely a villa for me, I love the space, the convenience, a pool to myself, freedom, being able to sit by the pool with a cup of tea and toast for breakfast.

I could never cope being in one room for 3 weeks, it would drive me stir crazy.

I have stayed onsite once at the Poly, I'm glad I did it but I wouldn't rush to go back to a Disney hotel, I need some normality rather than Disney all the time :lol:

13. robertcraig

robertcraig Serious Forum Regular

Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    When I went with my wife loved the villa .went to Publix every morning for fresh crusty bread and cold meat for lunch. But now that I am on my own preferr to stay in resorts

14. keith

yeah I can see that Robert that makes a lot of sense :yes: If I was there on my own, I'd want to be in the middle of Disney and a bus ride away from anything

15. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I cannot even imagine being in a hotel room for 3 weeks!

16. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

I think the key deciding factor (for me at least) is length of stay. For shorter 7-10 day visits, I'd opt for the "Disney Magic" of the onsite resorts every time. Anything longer than that, and I'd definitely consider a villa :)

17. piglet

piglet Serious Forum Regular

I went by myself a few years ago and stayed on site. I think for me it's a no-brainer 'cos I don't drive and don't want to rely on hotel buses. We went to a hotel near DTD about 3 years ago and I absolutely hated it. There were no decent restaurants in the hotel (although there are now) and I love the friendliness of the CM's at the on site hotels. OK I know they're paid to be nice but I'm a sucker for someone being friendly to me

18. keith

you're absolutely right. That's one of the reasons I pay to go to Disney and whether it's artificial or not, it's a feel good factor.

19. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

I much prefer to stay on site. We stayed in a villa on our first two trips but I prefer to be in my little bubble in the middle of it all. We spend so little time in our room that a villa stay is a complete waste for us. My room is not important as long as its clean and comfortable but the resort and theming is to me. I really think it depends on how much time you spend 'at home' during your holiday.

20. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

The problem we now have after staying in a villa in Florida is that wherever we go now, we can't face staying together in 1 room. And villa holidays in other countries are relatively quite a bit more expensive than villa holidays in Florida. Trying to price up a week in Cyprus and it's...well a bit gairy.