1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Tom Sawyer's Island?

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World' started by Clare, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Clare

Clare Earning my ears

In all my visits I've never been to Tom Sawyer's Island so I'm thinking it's about time I made the effort for my next trip :brightidea:

What exactly is there to do on the Island or is it just really a place to get away from the crowds?

2. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

i've never done it before - i prefer rides myself:yes:

3. SleepinCatz

SleepinCatz Fluffeh Disney Fan

I used to run and play on that island as a kid. There is a snack bar -which opens seasonaly- with nice rocking chairs on it's covered porch. It's full of trails and surprises from the adventures of Tom Sawyer. I haven't been on it in years but I always see people of all ages on it.

4. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

According to reports, the snack bar has been closed for a while, but there are vending machines. And you can still sit on the porch and relax! :)

TSI is a Disney-designed "natural" habitat. Rock formations with "caves" and "tunnels" for exploring--nothing so deep you feel claustrophobic. Different types of bridges that cross ravines and gorges.

The CMs hide several paintbrushes (remember whitewashing the fence in the book?) each morning, and the family of the person who finds one receives a Fastpass to either Splash Mountain or BTMRR.

I haven't been there since my 1981 visit, as the terrain isn't kind to my left leg/ankle. But I grew up on TSI at Disneyland and absolutely loved it! :D

5. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Over the years, I've found that if the visitor's to TSI didn't know the story, they'd not get the allusions of the island. So, it helps if there is some frame of reference.

In comparison to many of the other attractions it can be seen as tame, but that is because you make of it what you will. The excitement factor is up to you.

Aunt Polly's has been closed for some time now. :( There are vending machines, but that's not quite the same thing as a slice of pie and ice cream, is it?

The rockers are nice for a break, and that is one of the benefits of the island. It's a place to get away from the chaos for a bit.

Well worth at least one visit, but you may not find yourself rushing back.

6. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

see when i go i want to chill out of the heat, i find that the transit authority does just that. I'm sure that the island is cool just never appealed to us

7. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I like the TTA too, Brit and try to ride it every time I'm in the MK.

The island is a bit different experience than the TTA. The drawback for me is the raft to and from. If I could access the island without having to wait for the raft, that would be different.

8. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

They took away the barrel bridge. :(

9. MystikPiglit

MystikPiglit Peace, Love and Mickey Mouse

We love it and visit every trip. Try to go very early or late when it might be emptier. It's lovely for a relaxing stroll around if there are few other people. :thumbsup:

10. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

I love it too. I loved it better when I could get a root beer float and sit on a rocking chair. Now I just have to make do with the chair though. And no barrel bridge.

If you've seen the parade that's a good time to go and have the place to yourself. :D

11. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

We went for the first time last time and the kids loved it - it feels very back to basics which is quite nice. I wouldn't queue a long time for the raft across but if the raft had spaces while we were passing I would go over again :yes:

12. Clare

Clare Earning my ears

Thanks everyone, I think purely for the fact I've never been I'll put it on my to do list :thumbsup:

13. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

Well! Boo, hiss! :( That's my version of profanity! ;)

I loved the barrel bridge! :(