1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Totally new to scrapbooking! What to do?

Discussion in 'Arts, Crafts & Scrapbooking' started by Deb, May 7, 2009.

1. Deb

Deb Serious Forum Regular

I am always impressed by the scrapbooking pages I see here, and am really interested in getting started. I want to start a Memory Book for me and OH (including stuff from the holiday we've just come back from - it was his idea as much as mine which is lovely, though I don't see him getting involved!), and then maybe go from there?

I have had a look at the links in the sticky thread and had a bit of a read about things, but as I am a genuine newbie to this I would appreciate some pointers from those of you who are experienced! I know some of the links have lists of what you need to start but to be honest I don't even know what some of them are for, or why :embarassed: Where do I start? What are the very basics I need? What would be very good "nice to haves?". Shall I just go to Hobbycraft and have a browse? Afriend of mine has an online craft supplies business and things look lovely on the internet but I think at first I'll need to actually see things for real to get a feel for it.

Sorry to be so vague, but as they say "you don't know what you don't know"! :)

Thanks all :hug2:
  2. *Bambi-Belle*

*Bambi-Belle* Imagineer

I think you need a wee trip to a craft shop lol. :yes:Maybe you can start with a kit. There are plenty to choose from on the net.

To be honest though for a first go you don't need too much stuff. I think a precious photo and recording the memories/journaling is just as important as the crafty bits.

BritChick is the expert on here she will be along soon to give you tons excellent advice.:thumbsup:
  3. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

First advice...grab someone else's CC. It's an expensive hobby.

I think the first three must have's are:
    1. paper (I prefer 12x12, as you get more on the page)
    2. some sort of scrapbook adhesive to attach photos to said paper
    3. stickers and the more the better in my opinion

I would definitely take a look around the craft shop.

Oh, also, I prefer the memory books that I can add sections to instead of the ones that are set at a certain amount pages.

Have fun with it!
  4. daveann

daveann Addicted to Mickey

deb pm me your address will forward you some bits and pieces someone did it to me when i 1st asked so it is nice to carry on the passing along...... i have loads of disney bits just havent had time lately
  5. Deb

Thanks for your replies :hug2:

Bambi and Ducky, I'm going to go to a Caftshop next week and have a look and see what sorts of things are available :thumbsup: Ducky, I have grabbed OH CC on your advice and told him you made me do it:D Thanks for the list, it's a real help.

daveann, that is so so kind of you, thank you so much! :hug2:

I'm really looking forward to getting started :thumbsup:
  6. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

Deb, i'm packing to go away for the weekend right now but when i get back will send you some links!
  7. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

good luck with the scrapbooking deb

one thing you have to post photos of your work ok :D
  8. Deb

Well, I haven't had time to sit down and start my scrapbooking since Daveann sent me my lovely box of goodies (thanks again by the way! :hug2: ) but it's ok as I knew I wouldn't be able to. I didn't want to rush at it when I didn't have enough time. I've been picking up a few bits and pieces everytime I've been shopping - a couple of little stampers here, a tiny set of pattern hole punchers there, a couple of albums at a knock down price from The Works store here, as well as more stickers, papers, a little craft knife etc. I've been printing out a few photos that I knew I wanted to scrap around.

Anyway, Mr Deb is out this evening and thought I was all set to go and do my first page. But I've just discovered that apparently I need card to put the stuff on, that the paper that comes with the album isn't thick enough to use as a base :unsure: I didn't even think of that. So now I have to wait till tomorrow when I will pick up a handful of cards in a few different colours. But I really wanted to get started :cry2:

I bought a scrapbooking mag, and it uses terms I don't understand being so very new to this. When it talks about "matting" something what does it mean? Dies it just mean to stick onto something? :unsure: See, I really am a baby at this :D
  9. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

Matting and layering is where you cut card (or paper) slightly larger than the photo you want to use, stick the photo on top and then you have a frame around the edge, you can experiment with different colours and numbers of layers :)

It helps to make the photo stand out of the page :yes:
  10. Deb

Ah, I see! Thanks Lisaw! :thumbsup:

It's really interesting to come to this so blind. You know even a lot of the "simple step by step" things use jargon or assume a basic knowledge. I'm really looking forward to the creative bit, it's just the actual practicalities of doing it that I need educating on!!