Toy Story Mania now Fastpass + only ride

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World and Disney Springs' started by DisneyFreak, Oct 8, 2014.

1. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak New Member

Accounting Manager
    At least for the next three days. If you don't have a fastpass + you are out of luck.

"Visitors to Disney's Hollywood Studios over the next few days must make reservations with FastPass+ to ride Toy Story Mania.

Walt Disney World is running a test through Thursday the requires FastPass+ to board the popular ride. The theme park tried a similar experiment recently for a meet-and-greet with Anna and Elsa of "Frozen" at the Magic Kingdom.

Disney is handing out additional FastPasses at Hollywood Studios to meet demand, spokeswoman Marilyn Waters said. She would not disclose numbers."

For the rest of the story.......
    http://touch.orlandosentinel.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-81601211/

2. Tink

Tink Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Soooo, if you visit you can't get a FP unless you have a band? :unsure:

3. Oreo

Oreo Active Member

You can get a fastpass with the normal tickets too I believe.

Only problem is if you buy your ticket on the day will there be any left?

4. Tink

Ah. That's what happened to us. Not a good situation.

5. Isafari

Isafari Well-Known Member

Am I right in saying that this is the same for BOG for lunchtime....FP+ only.
    I think if you are willing to stand in line for three hours (and it has been this long at Xmas) you should be able to ride Toy Story!

6. Johnie

Johnie Active Member

Vocational Counselor
    You are correct Isafari. The difference is that there is no end date for BOG. TSM is supposed to be just this week. We shall see.

7. Dawn

Dawn New Member

So a family of four pays $400 for tickets to get into a park and can't ride one of the feature attractions because all the FPs have already gone?

8. Britchick

Britchick Well-Known Member

I really really don't like the way this is going!

9. Tink

That's exactly right, Dawn. A group of 7 of us, actually. We were on day passes this past summer. :( Not only were the fast passes gone, but given the short fast pass lines, many were going unused. Unless you were willing to take hours out of your day to stand on line, you weren't going to be able to do many of the attractions (this was at the MK).

10. Oreo

Oreo Active Member

It's bascially forcing people to plan and purchase tickets ahead in order for you to be able to ride attractions.

Why can't they have just moved the old fastpass system to the bands and leave it alone.

I said before I went that the spontinatiy has been removed from the parks and I stand by that.

What they're actually doing is making the one day tickets useless so that people are put off buying them.

11. Tink

That does seem to be it in a nutshell, Oreo. I know when we went this past summer, it was because family was here and they truly wanted us to go with them. We've not renewed our APs, so it was day tickets for us. It was 8 of us, not seven as I said before. We spent the majority of the day dealing with the FP situation. Standing on line for far too long to obtain a fast pass, only to be told they were all gone when we got to our turn. Ugh. Then we were given alternative Fast Passes at times and locations that had us rushing from one side of the park to the other for the remainder of the very hot, muggy summer day. The little one in the group (now 8) said, "It's not fun any more, is it?" That broke my heart for more than one reason, but to have a child that young realize that things had changed so much.

The WDW corporation has moved past the time when the local people have the value they once did. When WDW opened it was not a huge success and there were perks provided to locals (Floridians) to boost sales, attendance, etc. For years, the Florida guests made a real difference in the corporate bottom line. Then, WDW grew and grew and grew and now the Floridians are no longer needed, so any perk that enticed them to come and support the park is now gone. Sad for the locals, but no big deal for the corporation, eh? :shrug:

Can you stand more "I remember when?" We moved to the Central FL area in 2001. We never intended to live here, but family responsibility drew Herself to have to relocate from our SW Florida home (we loved it there) to the greater Orlando area.

Nearly every Friday evening, we'd head to the boardwalk, park and walk to the boardwalk. We were AP holders so parking fees were not the issue. We simply liked the walking route. We'd stroll the boardwalk, and get a drink from the Screen Door shop. I think a little bottle of wine was $4, and a single bottle of beer was $2 or so. Significantly less than the prices in the parks. We'd then enter the WS through the IG, and walk the WS, poking here and poking there. We'd either snack at the counter services for dinner, or during our walk we would decide to have dinner at a full service restaurant. We'd then walk up to the restaurant of choice, and almost always be seated within 30 minutes. If our dinner were at a restaurant in the WS, we'd walk a bit after dinner. If it were at one of the full service restaurants at one of the hotels (we were huge fans of Cape May, and often ate there) we'd walk the circle again.

We'd close the evening by being on the boardwalk, having a nightcap, and taking in the little acts that they used to have. Some were funny, some were nearly unbearably corny, some were wonderful music. We'd sometimes catch the fireworks. We'd then head to our (then) apartment after a fun, but relaxing evening.

Then things changed, somewhat slowly, but mostly with a rough jolt that changed our Friday enjoyment of the WS. It became harder to park at the boardwalk. OK, got that. It's for paying guests. No problem. However, the car park was almost always sparsely used, so there was no real reason to stop local visitors, especially when we used the lower parking lot across the street. Plus, we truly were visiting the boardwalk as part of our evening and spending money there.

Then, the prices were raised in the little store to be the same as those in the park. So, a small bottle of beer became the same price as a draft Guinness or Bass... no contest.

Then, the Disney dining plan came into being and there were no more walk ups, or at least so few and so sporadically available, we rarely were able to obtain seating at full service restaurants.

We changed our routine to park in the EPCOT lot, as we were "supposed" to, but that took a portion of the evening away, the relaxing on the boardwalk, etc.

We slowly stopped going over time, during that first year of major changes and things have never been the same again.

We miss our Fridays still. I miss the way things used to be, the fact that you could go for a few hours and spend a few dollars and feel as though you'd actually had a micro-mini vacation.

Ah well. I age. Things change. :shrug:

12. Tink

I should have added my thoughts on the money aspect.

So, WDW corporation lost a few bucks on us probably, conservatively $50 or so per week. Plus, the Annual Pass fee, which as I've said, we didn't renew this year for the first time in nearly 15 years. Parking fees were never an issue for us, so they don't count.

We've even stopped using our DVC for now. I've banked all the 2014 points into 2015. We used to stay over for the FWF always, and then periodically throughout the year. We liked to do a weekend at Vero Beach. We liked to stay for the Flower and Garden show sometimes, that sort of thing. All those little stays saw us spending some money, and saw us using our DVC points on the point expensive weekends, so DVC got more for their money than if we'd been more concerned with point value instead of with our own preferences.

Anyway, clearly not an amount to affect the coffers of the big corporation, eh?

13. Oreo

Oreo Active Member

But not always for the better. They have alienated the locals.

Really sad to hear that and I hope that someone from Disney reads that but I highy doubt it.

We had fastpasses for tower of terror during our trip and one side of the tower was broken so only one side was operational. The wait time stated 150 mins.

We walked to where the fastpass and regular lines met and we were being shouted at and abused by people in the regular line.

I bit back and stated that fastpasses were available to all and you all had the choice whether to book them or not (which is what the CM was trying to say in a nicer way).

They were upset as the fastpass queue took priority over the regular line. They had not moved for about an hour and were becoming very upset at the situation. A situation that Disney themselves have caused.

I of course was a little selfish in my comments as looking back maybe not all those people in line had the ability to book fastpasses or if they did they were not available.

Disney have created a monster here.

I of course spend thousands to travel every few years and for that I expect certain things, like regular buses or short queues (especially when I go in September to avoid queues).

But then on the other side you have locals and also people who travel within USA who spend money also who have different needs and maybe not wanting to plan 60 or 180 days in advance.

There you have a fraction between two groups already, and when something like a breakdown happens guests start to take it out on each other.

When Disney created the dining plan they saw that they could almost predict how full their resturants were going to be up to 180 days in advance. They were able to put the correct amount of staff and it probably saves them money.

It's the same principle with fastpass. They know which rides are going to be used and by who.

They don't want the day guests messing with their figures.

14. Oreo

Oreo Active Member

But they already have the bulk of your money via DVC. They're not too fussed about the other bits you mention.

In fact it would benifit them if you didn't use your DVC as they will then have your money anyway plus they can use the space you don't use and charge people like me the extra to stop at a DVC resort without being a DVC member.

It's all about the money sadly. :(

15. Tink

I think all the preplanning works for the corporation. They know exactly how many are coming to dinner, how many will be on Splash Mountain, etc. It doesn't work for even the most organized traveler. One of the benefits of a park hopper/ap is that if the park of the day is overrun (tour group, conventioneers, some other unforeseen thing) you could hop to another park and with minimal adjustment get on with your merry day.

Now, with all the required preplanning (because if you don't, you won't be riding much, and will not be dining at full service) you are essentially stuck.

I know WDW is still a wonderful place to visit, and I still use it as the standard for luxury (hotels) etc. but that does not change the fact that it has changed markedly over the past few years.

With regard to hotel standards, when we stayed at the Millennium Bostonian in Boston in September, I was soooo disappointed! It was billed as a luxury hotel and our one splurge of the holiday.

My comment when we were there? "Disney could teach these people a thing or two about luxury." And they could. :yes:

16. Britchick

Britchick Well-Known Member

What about the people who have no idea though? I would imagine they wouldn't want to go back!

17. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou Makuakane Administrator

It would seem so, it's not good IMHO I think there are going to be more and more feature attractions moved to FP+ only over the coming months.

It stinks, it really does :sigh: :( to me they are only interested in Guests staying on site and as a gesture of good will Florida and Annual Passholders.

18. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak New Member

Accounting Manager
    Hopefully the testing does not go well. I know that if this starts to become the norm my visits will become few and far between. It's already been two years since visiting the parks. We are planning on purchasing FRAPs for our December trip ($1,032) since we are going back again in April and probably at least one more time during the year but we may be rethinking that plan.

19. Tink

Resident passes, DF? Do you mean the ones with the black out dates, or the full pass with the 10% reduction in cost? :unsure:

20. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak New Member

Accounting Manager
    Not the seasonal pass Tink. The blackout dates start right in the middle of our trip. Not the Premium pass either. It's the standard resident annual pass.