1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

'Tragedy' !!

Discussion in 'Just for Laughs and Games' started by Bigkitty266, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Bigkitty266

Bigkitty266 Earning my ears

Gordon Brown was visiting a primary school and he visited one of the classes.

They were in the middle of a discussion related to words and their meanings. The teacher asked Mr Brown if he would like to lead the discussion on the word 'tragedy'.

So the Prime Minister asked the class for an example of a 'tragedy'

A little boy stood up and offered, 'If my best friend who lives on a farm is playing in the field and a tractor runs him over and kills him, that would be a 'tragedy'.

'No', said Gordon - 'that would be an accident'.

A little girl raised her hand. 'If a school bus carrying 50 children drove over a cliff killing everyone inside, that would be a 'tragedy'.

'I'm afraid not' explained Gordon - 'that's what we would call a great loss'.

The room went silent, no other children volunteered. Gordon searched the room. 'Isn't there someone here who can give me an example of a 'tragedy'?

Finally at the back of the room little Johnny raised his hand

In a quiet voice he said. 'If a plane carrying you and Mr Darling was struck by a 'friendly fire' missile and the plane was blown to smithereens, that would be a 'tragedy'.

'Fantastic!' exclaimed Gordon. 'That's right, and can you tell me why that would be a tragedy?'

'Well' says little Johnny,'it has to be a tragedy, because it certainly wouldn't be a great loss and it probably wouldn't be a accident either!

:bounce:

2. mumof2

mumof2 Serious Forum Regular

:point: I've seen that before....it's funny! :yes: