1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Trainer for the day

Discussion in 'SeaWorld/Discovery Cove/Aquatica' started by Clarkkent, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Clarkkent

Clarkkent Imagineer

Hello all
    Having booked a surprise holiday for the 'other half' I'm tempted to throw in some extra surprises along the way.
    Is the 'trainer for the day' package worth the (hefty) price you pay?
    Thanks!
    :dance:
  2. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

I've been tempted by this many times but have had the same thoughts. You do get two dolphin interactions instead of one with the normal swim. I got a reply from an email I sent DC about the Trainer for the Day and what it involved.....I have to go and pop something in the oven for tea then I'll look to see if I still have it.
  3. Isafari

ok...here is the response I got.....

Dear Diane,

Thank you for contacting Discovery Cove so we may assist as you plan your adventure!

The Trainer for a Day program begins as early as 8:00 am and ends sometime around 4:00 pm. As you know, it takes you behind the scenes and provides you with a hands-on experience with many of the animals here at our park. During your program, you have time to roam on your own, as well as when the experience ends, for our park remains open until 5:30 pm.

You have plenty of time to enjoy all our activities, not just with your trainer, but also on your own.

We recommend that you make your reservation at least three months in advance to ensure that you get your preferred date, particularly in peak periods, such as school holidays. In fact, I would suggest that you make a booking as soon as you know the date that you would like to visit, since Discovery Cove has a limited attendance and there is a high demand for reservations during the summer months. You may make a reservation online, or by calling our Reservations center at 1-877-4-DISCOVERY.

8:00-8:30 Check-in, pick up swim gear, and secure personal belongs in a locker
    8:45-9:00 Discovery Cove Animal Trainer Talk.
    9:00-9:15 Meet and Greet with Aviculture Staff
    9:15-9:45 Meet and Greet with Small Mammal Staff
    9:50-10:25 Bird Interaction and Feeding in Aviary
    10:35-11:40 Dolphin Interaction Program
    11:45-12:45 Lunch
    1:00-2:20 Meet with the Discovery Cove Aquarium Staff
    2:25-3:35 Begin Dolphin back area tour
    3:35-4:30 Meet with Animal Trainers for an enhanced dolphin interaction

I hope this information has been helpful. If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact us once again.

We look forward to your visit!

Best Regards,
    Janet Maza
    Guest Relations
    Discovery Cove
  4. Clarkkent

Clarkkent Imagineer

That's brilliant - many thanks for that. Does look like a great day doesn't it?

Ok - better start saving.... :shemademe:
  5. Isafari

:lol: I was sorely tempted to book for December but what put me off was you get a 14 day pass for BG or SW and we already have annual passes.
    I need to wait until they run out to get the full benefit.
  6. Clarkkent

Clarkkent Imagineer

I'm not worried about BG or SW to be honest. We've yet to go to Aquatica which looks like fun.

And let's face it - how often do you get the chance to swim with a dolphin?:wiggle:

Be good to hear from someone though who's done the day - is it worth it? :unsure:
  7. Isafari

We've been to DC for the day including dolphin swim, four times now as the price was right including the SW/BG ticket as we visit those two parks often. Then, once you think about your breakfast/lunch/dinner/all snacks and drinks, the price isn't too bad.

In the Trainer for the Day, the second dolphin interaction includes deep water interaction where you have a dolphin behind you on each foot - they then push you along (members who've seen the dolphin shows at SW will know what I mean)
    Also photo ops with two dolphins such as a double kiss!

Don't forget the memories you can bring home in the form of photos and DVD. My fave photo from DC....

Print_oloi17.jpg
  8. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Have you checked that there isn't an AP discount for it :unsure: A few years back when we had passes they had some very good discounts for a lot of their interactions.
  9. Isafari

It was $30 when I was thinking of booking.
  10. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

I've heard a few people say that it would be great to do IF they had done Discovery Cove before, but that they wished they could spend an extra day as a 'regular' guest so they could enjoy it at their own leisure. I can imagine it would be very tiring and it might not seem so 'special' seeing backstage if you haven't properly explored 'on stage' yet! :unsure:

The regular Dolphin Swim day is FANTASTIC. One of the best days of my life! I absolutely loved it. The new 'seaventure' package is one of my favourite memories of my whole 3 months working at Disney.
  11. Clarkkent

Clarkkent Imagineer

That's a great tip thanks.. I did see the clip of the sea venture thing which looks like great fun!!
  12. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

Just done the regular dolphin swim today! We rented a cabana and had a fab time, the new grand reef is amazing!
  13. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

Make the most of the photopass people around DC because youth get all the photos on a cd as part of the package so it's better vale for money if you're not just getting dolphin pictures :)
  14. chief

chief Earning my ears

that sounds speacial, think i would prefer that to trainer for a day, but thats just me:tongue:
  15. Clarkkent

Clarkkent Imagineer

So looks like the feedback is really go for the normal dolphin encounter and do the extra bits rather than doing trainer for the day?:unsure: