1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

travel agent or book diy?

Discussion in 'General' started by wishonastar, Sep 21, 2008.

1. wishonastar

wishonastar Imagineer

sorry if this has already been asked but Im new :shocked025: do most people prefer to use a travel agent or just book parts yourselves?

Can we get all the discounts that agents can or do they have special codes that we cant use?
  2. Tinker

Tinker Earning my ears

you can get discounts from mousesavers.com and book yourself using the code listed . I , myself use a TA . I don't have a lot of time nowadays with sick parents, work and what not . And don't forget with using a TA , say you book for next year and the room, only , AP, what will you discount isn't out yet as soon as it is released ... they will get it applied . I tell my TA which restaurants I'm interested in and what days and she does my ADR's Now, remember you must book exactly 180 days in advance to eat at the Castle . I have never had to worry about remembering as it is taken care of . So, its a matter of which you prefer .
    I will be booking my own trip for June as I'm trying to rent DVC points, which I just recently learned is a heck of a lot cheaper than booking a resort . You just need to find the correct dates . Who needs mousekeeping, I need savings . :lol:
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  3. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I have mostly done it myself. I have used a TA a couple of times. I really enjoy helping others plan their trips so I am just starting out as a TA.
  4. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

i always mainly do diy, i enjoy doing everything myself and mostly get a better deal
  5. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

It really depends on what works best for you.

A TA is terrific if you have limited time and/or are not good with details. You'll still need to track details, but not quite as much as you would with a good TA.

If you enjoy controlling everything yourself, DIY is the way to go.

I've done both, but prefer DIY most of the time. I'm a bit of a control freak! :D

However, if I'm visiting a country for the first time I probably would book through a TA who is familiar with that country. Ditto for a cruise. I think. :)