1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Trip to the Alhambra Palace, Spain

Discussion in 'Non Disney Trips and Travels' started by Deb, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Deb

Deb Serious Forum Regular

I realised that I hadn't posted any report on our visit to the Alhambra Palace on our holiday to Spain, so thought I had better get on with it! This will however be less of a trip report and more of a photographic report!

We had booked tickets for this visit before leaving the UK as it is almost impossible to get in unless you do. For those of you who don't know about this place in Granada, the Alhambra is one of the world's most beautiful collection of buildings and gardens, and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    "The palace was constructed as both a fortress and royal residence for the sultans. From the mid-1200s onwards the Moorish Nasrid Dynasty set about establishing a citadel and palace the like of which the world had never seen before. On the hilltop site of an existing 10th century Arab fortress, the sultans brought together their empire's greatest minds and most talented craftsmen to fashion an exotic array of exquisitely decorated palaces and courtyards within the walls of a castle designed to withstand the Christian armies. The Alhambra is composed of three parts: the royal palace (Nasrid Palace), the Generalife gardens, and the Alcazabar fortress."

We left our villa at about 6:45am and were at the Alhambra by the opening time of 8am. Our tickets allowed us access to the place until 2pm, but we had to be at the Nasrid Palace at 8:30 for our half-hour visit or we would not be allowed in. Of course, we were dressed for the gorgeous sunny weather we'd been having, not taking into account that we were now in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada, with thick snow on the mountains overlooking us! It did however get warm by 10:00!

Although most of the mosaics and paintings are faded now, it's easy to imagine the beauty it must once have had. It was hard to get great photos as the place was so full of people, but I hope they give a flavour of the place.

First, here are photos of the Nasrid Palace, where the Sultan held court.

Attached Files:

2. Deb

Here are some of the ceilings and the carvings:

Attached Files:

3. Deb

Some of the Alcazabar, the military building, and the views from there. The final one is the view of Granada from the main watchtower.

Attached Files:

4. Deb

And these are of the gardens of the Generalife, which was basically their chill-out area. They were said to be representative of the Koranic description of Paradise.

Attached Files:

5. mumof2

mumof2 Serious Forum Regular

oh my gosh, absolutely stunning pictures Deb - really, really beautiful :yes:

:hug2:

6. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

wow, so stunning! i love how the colors all work so beautifully together.

7. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

Wow! :thud:

8. Disneybumble

Disneybumble The Secret is in the Sauce.

Very moorish:tongue:

9. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

I agree....it's a stunning place. Great photos Deb :yes:

10. Deb

:ROFL: