Trip to Victoria & Albert, Grand Floridian, May 2014

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World Restaurants, Dining, Dining Plan' started by keith, Jun 1, 2014.

1. keith

keith Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Home Page:

Attached Files:

2. keith

Home Page:
    We sat down at about 9pm and were given our favourite table. V&A are very good at keeping records and know our preferences by now :yes: We met our own dedicated team of Victoria and Albert who would be serving us for the evening.

The harp player in the corner was playing some well known music in a harp style and really adds to the ambiance of the dining room.

A vast array of water is available from a special menu but we just went with the normal option. It used to be branded Evian, but now it's just in a brandless bottle but it's very definitely not normal florida water, so it's at least filtered in some way and tastes great.

I decided to have the wine pairings, which you can see listed below each option.

So, the Amuse-Bouche was salmon with a soy and saki sauce paired with a rather delicious Piper Heidsieck Cuvee. I rather gulped it down and they very kindly refilled it a couple of times. I would gladly have had the soy and saki sauce with everything it was so delicious.

For the next course, I had the Pintade which was a very appley dish. Not something I would normally try but I really dislike Octopus so :/ The apple went very well indeed with the Riesling which was not as sweet as other Rieslings and a deliciously fresh course overall.

The fish course was next and I couldn't resist going for the wild Turbot. Good Turbot is quite rare in my experience, but when prepared perfectly, as in this instance, it's an absolute delight. Not a fishy tasting fish, if that makes sense, it has a wonderful texture which when matched with a very faint lemon sauce was just fantastic. We also had the sablefish which is a cheaper fish and less delicate. It was tasty and the accompanying corn ragout worked well. The star of this course was without doubt the wild Turbot.

After that, I had the quail. I do enjoy game but quail is often overcooked. Thankfully that wasn't the case and the delicacy of the flavour came through without being overpowered by the rest of the dish. The wine was a wonderful Syrah Blend and one of those wines that was as much a treat for the nose as for the mouth. A perfect companion to the quail but carefully chosen not to drown out the taste, it enhanced the flavour wonderfully.

So... the main course.... what to have! Well DW chose the lamb which was nice but, as is the trend in so many places now, had a herb coating around the side. Although the lamb was perfect, it didn't need the herb which was a distraction from the taste of the pure lamb meat itself. I had to go for the True Japanese Kobe Beef which is a personal favourite. I wasn't disappointed. The beef was fully flavoured and melt in the mouth. I also sampled the australian kobe-beef style and was a little less impressed. Cheaper for sure but less melt in the mouth.

Cheese course for DW all of which were wonderfully taste. I especially liked the chedder but had to be the white chocolate gelato for me :) Although I'm not an ice cream fan, the gelato was superb.

Dessert.. as if there's room for anything else. The Tanzanian Chocolate Timbale is always a great choice :) and with the orange gelato, it's a little like a very luxurious melted terrys chocolate orange ;-)

We had tea to finish and found that they now had the same wonderful machine they used to make coffee, now available for tea :yes: it's wonderful to watch and a great end to the evening.

After selling the first newborn, mortgaging the house twice, donating some blood, we managed to pay the check ;-) and tables in wonderland came to the rescue for the 20% gratuity. Shame that after Auguest v&a will no longer be accepting it :( The bill for two including wine pairings, extras on the menu such as turbot, beef, caviar and some alcoholic specialties, was about $600 before gratuity.

We were presented with a red rose for the lady and a bag of freshly baked sweets as well as our personalised menus. They made sure our car was ready for us and asked when they'd see us again. All in all, a wonderful experience as usual :yes:

I'm always asked if it's worth the cost. Well, it's an extravagance for sure. Would I advise a first timer to skimp on disney/universal tickets to go to v&a? no, but if you've been a few times and you're a bit of a foodie, then V&A is simply superb.

For a special occasion, likewise, it's a wonderful option although, they consider every meal to be special so you won't see them playing happy birthday through the speakers or anything ;-) I know a couple to whom we recommended v&a were a bit upset that they weren't made a fuss of for their anniversary :/ They make a fuss of everyone so :/.

I often get people saying to me, I wouldn't like half the things on that menu and all I Can say, even though I know some won't believe it, is that I too am a picky eater. When you REALLY look at the options, you'll find there's something for everyone and they will mix and match things to some extent. The other thing is, when you have truly excellent ingredients prepared by a wonderful chef, things which you would hate elsewhere are delicious. I've discovered a lot of things at V&A which I would never have tried elsewhere but they looked so appealing. It's not a steakhouse, I love those too :), but it IS a wonderful dining experience.

So, if you win the lottery or have a few dollars left :), I highly recommend giving V&A a try.

3. Slowhand

Slowhand Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Retired
    Well that sure got my taste buds going !
    V & A`s truly is a fantastic experience isn`t it? Every now and then it is worth a bit of indulgence if you can afford it...after all what`s the point of being the wealthiest guy in the cemetary? :lol:

I really must re-visit there before too long.

4. uscwest

uscwest Well-Known Member

We haven't done V & in ages
    The menu looked great to me but to many fish choices for Donna. She probably would have asked for the vegetarian menu.

5. keith

Home Page:
    They're very good at letting you have two meat courses instead of the fish or you can even swap in a vegetarian course whenever you fancy as well

6. uscwest

uscwest Well-Known Member

Yep. She's done that several times. I would also have ordered the turbot.

7. Tink

Tink Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Lovely review, Keith. Thank you!

8. BUTTERHEAD1

BUTTERHEAD1 Active Member

Retired NYPD Detective
    I have been dying to eat at V&A but there is no way my wife would eat there. She is the pickiest of the pickiest. She is not the type of person to try something new and she likes the very basic of food. Steak and potato kind of lady. She doesn't eat any seafood, for her It's chicken,beef or pork and that's it. Maybe one of these days I will take my son with me as he is a bit of a foodie like his dad.

9. Tink

Tink Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Might be a nice celebration for his birthday, or excellent grades, or passing to the next level...