1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Tusker House - AK

Discussion in 'Restaurants, Dining, Dining Plans' started by gwennie81, May 13, 2011.

1. gwennie81

gwennie81 Earning my ears

I ate at the Tusker House a couple weekends ago. I HIGHLY recommend it! Here are some tips & observations to make your experience a little more enjoyable.

#1. To check in for your reservation, you go around the bar behind the first check-in point/building. For some reason, the actual check-in for the restaurant is tucked away and there are 2 "dummy" cast members at two other podiums. I don't know why they were there, but it made us technically "late" because one of the CM's said we couldn't check in until 11:30 (the time of our rez). However, we kept seeing people go around behind so mom followed them and checked us in. We were given a pager (which turned out to be broken) and were finally seated 30 minutes after our actual rez. This was the worst part of the whole experience. I didn't mind so much but my grandma, aunt, and great aunt who we were with, were getting cranky and hungry.

#2. RUDY! Rudy was our waiter and he was super-sweet and attentive. The 3 older ladies were all driving scooters (that's a story for another time...) Grandma and Bev were able to leave theirs outside but Aunt Ruth rode hers in. Then it was the kind that didn't have the swivel-seat so she sat in a regular chair. A CM came and moved her scooter just outside the door, then another CM ~15 minutes later came back and said it couldn't be parked there and she moved it up to where it was supposed to be parked in the first place. Anyway...

#3. Excellent food. I'm sure there's a link to the menu in this forum somewhere. The food is served buffet-style with cold foods, hot foods, a carving station, and a dessert station in the middle. The food was on the exotic side but so tasty and accessible to the american pallate. Except Aunt Ruth who took a glob of mashed taters to find they were too garlicky. Then she was paranoid that EVERYTHING had garlic in it. HAHA!

They have plantains, samosas, tablouleh, hummus, veggies, chicken, pork tenderloin, roast beef, potatoes, salads, breads...the list goes on. Something for everyone.

#4. There is a kid's-sized buffet station that has chicken nuggets, green beans, and some other "kid friendly" foods in case they do not care for middle eastern/african/asian flavors.

#5. Non-alcoholic beverages come with your meal (soda, tea, coffee). Try the coffee. It was delicious! I think I drank the entire pot. They do also offer alcoholic beverages. There was a drink menu on the table.

#6. The CM's were so friendly! Our waiter, as I stated, was the bomb. My mom talked to the sous chef, Ricky Blaggrove, for a few minutes and he gave her his card so she could email complements to the chef. LOL!

#7. The gratuity suggestion was printed on the check but we left a little more than 20% :yes:

Aunt Bev & Mom
    IMG02267-20110501-1240.jpg

2. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

Sounds like a place to try! Thanks for the tips/review. To be honest, I don't think I have eaten at all in AK. :unsure:

3. Shellyamc

Shellyamc Serious Forum Regular

I was so happy to hear this. I have seen mixed reviews on this place. We have it booked for a character breakfast as our main meal for that day because there are not many ts places we would all eat dinner. :thumbsup:

4. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Thank you for the info :hug2:

It sounds like you had a great time and what a lovely photo of you mum and aunt, thank you for sharing :)

5. gwennie81

gwennie81 Earning my ears

One of my friend's sisters-in-law is a CM and waits tables there. She said the food was really good. Otherwise I wouldn't have gone.

I don't know about the breakfast. I would assume that the majority of it is standard Disney breakfast food (waffles, bacon, eggs, etc.) but they may have some of the exotic items on it as well?

The characters are only at breakfast. Lunch and dinner are standard. Also, I want to say it was ~$20 per person for lunch (including non-alcoholic beverages). I'm guessing the price probably goes up for dinner.

6. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Adults: Lunch $20.99/Dinner $28.99
    Children: Lunch $11.99/Dinner $13.99 prices go up during peak times.