1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Typical day at DLP?

Discussion in 'Disneyland Resort Paris' started by keith, Dec 21, 2010.

1. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

This may be a truly insanely stupid question but I've no real experience with DLP. The one time we went it was on a coach. We go there early morning, left early evening and had been up 24hrs previously.

We literally dashed around here and there and it was over before it begun!

No planning was done, no pondering, no time to watch things go by.

So what's your typical day at DLP? Do you do similar things to WDW? I have this feeling that even though there's the kingdom park and studios (+ downtown disney area) theyre all really small but I'm hoping I'm totally wrong!

I know from everyone I've ever spoken to that a sure fire way to feel hard done by is to try and have a WDW experience at DLP because they're different and need to be enjoyed in their own right.

Yet I'm struggling to understand what's to do, what's to see? What show can I have as my "tradition" that I do each and every time. Are the Disney hotels part of the experience? etc etc.

Everytime I try and book DLP, it seems to come out to a week in WDW pricing, so I have that to contend with as well, but 30mins by air and a short bus ride, it HAS to be a great place for a Disney feeling fix right?

Convvvvinnnnnnce me someone???

2. simonwebb74

simonwebb74 Earning my ears

Well for starters the Disneyland Park is bigger than the Magic Kingdom at WDW. We always give ourselves 2 whole days to wander around + 1 day to visit the Studios.

Downtown Disney has more of a Pleasure Island feel to it, we always wander around the shops and get something to eat in Annettes Diner. It also makes the walk to the parks more interesting assuming you are staying anywhere but the Disneyland Hotel.

The castle, in my opinion, is the most interesting of all the castles and dont forget to visit the dragon!

Also, the two arcades that run behind the shops either side of Main Street give an interesting alternative to walking down the street and a nice place to sit and get a coffee.

How about lunch at Walt's? Situated above the shops on Main Street try for a window table and watch the parade go by beneath you..

The rides are better the at the World, Thunder Mountain and Space Mountain both bigger and better, no Splash Mountain though.

The Studios has come on a lot in the last few years, with the Tower of Terror and the New Toon area there is now a lot more to do. The 2 must do shows though are Animagique and Cinemagique (Not sure on spelling!)

There is also the hot air balloon on the shores of Lake Disney, never been on it but wish I had.

As for the hotels, only stayed at Sequoia Lodge, but always enjoyed stopping for a drink next to the roaring fire after a day in the parks, (We have only ever gone in the winter though)

I'm sure I will think of more things to say about the place, I would go every year if I could. As you say, it isn't Disney World, so as long as you keep this in mind it really is a great place to get that Disney Fix.

3. keith

That's brilliant Simon! Just what I was hoping to hear! Amazed to hear that disneyland park is larger than MK which I thought was pretty large in itself!

Are the parks open late? I love MK late at night

4. simonwebb74

5. Lisa1976

Lisa1976 Addicted to Mickey

I think 2 - 3 days is plenty to visit both the main park and the studios.

Its nothing compared to WDW, but it does give you a little bit of a Disney fix to keep you going. You should never try to compare your WDW experience ato DLP experience.

I think the main park stays open until around 10pm in the warmer months, but im sure that the studios is 7pm most nights. I know when Simon and I were there at the end of Nov / Dec, both parks shut at 7pm, which is a shame as there isn't a huge amount to do in the Disney Village.

Hotels aren't too bad, we've stayed at Santa Fe, Cheynne, Sequia Lodge and all good, expensive but good.

The downsides are that its VERY expensive and the french are VERY rude. I dont think we've ever been and not had a run in with a french person at one point or another. Also some of the shows are just in French (a couple in the Studios) which kidna ruins it, but they are good and offer English time slots too on some of them.

Getting there is pretty easy, Eurostar direct is just under 3 hours which is great. We've also flown and driven, both of which are fine too. We much prefer the Eurostar as it takes you direct into the Disney Village, whereas flying you then have to faff about getting from the airport which is a good 45 minutes away. They do offer the VEA shuttle which is a little on the expensive side (just my opinion), just can also get the fast TGV train or the slower Metro.

Definately worth a visit Keith, even if you just go once and don't feel you want to go again. :)

6. keith

Great advice thanks :yes: :thumbsup:

Which hotel would you recommend?

7. Lisa1976

Lisa1976 Addicted to Mickey

Personally I would save money on the Hotel, I don't think its worth paying out to stay in the moderates or the fancy Disneyland Hotel.

We love the Cheyenne which has a Western Cowboy look to it. The themeing is great here and its also an easy walk if you get stuck and can't get a bus back from the Disney Village.

8. simonwebb74

Hotels..

If you can afford it stay at the Disneyland Hotel, right over the entrance to the park.

Otherwise the Moderates, Hotel New York, Sequoia Lodge or Newport Bay Hotel are all around the shores of Lake Disney which is just beyond Downtown Disney

The budgets, Hotel Cheyenne and Santa Fe are a bit further out although you can walk to the parks from any of them, or the buses run constantly.

If you cant afford the Disneyland Hotel, any of the moderates would be a great choice.

9. keith

Brilliant thanks folks :)

Any absolute must dos? It's like my first time at WDW knowing nothing about anything and trying to make sure to see the special things

10. Kate

Kate Serious Forum Regular

Im finding this all very interesting, we've often talked about going to DLP but just never done it because of the cost but it could be worth looking into!

11. keith

same for me!

I remember thinking as we ran around Disney Village back to the coach, feeling that special Disney feel but wishing we'd been able to spend longer to get to know the parks.

I just know I have to remember it's not wdw and enjoy it for itself. That'll be the hard part for me I think. It would really help if I could find some great show or something that is only at DLP which I could look forward to every time

12. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

This is a great thread Keith. :thumbsup:
    I`m in exactly the same situation as you although in fact I`ve never been to DLP at all.
    I`m interested in reading the responses you get.

13. Claire

Claire She lost the crayons!

Love, love, love DLP!

14. simonwebb74

Since The Legend of the Lion King show ended there aren't really any must do shows as such.

I think both parks are more about the rides and attractions rather than shows, although again this does depend on the time of the year. There are some great shows on at Christmas time for instance..

I have always found that you can wander around doing nothing a lot easier than at WDW, this is probably a combination of the temperature and also the fact that you can walk between the 2 parks so you find yourself coming and going to see the things you want to see.

15. rottie155

rottie155 Earning my ears

Hello everyone, this is my first post on here so I just want to say a quick 'hi' before I reply to Keith's post!

With regards to DLP - I have been visiting the resort for well over a decade now and every single time I have a completely unique and magical trip! I usually spend between 4 to 6 days at the resort and have stayed in Disneyland Hotel, Newport Bay Club Hotel, Sequoia Lodge Hotel and Hotel Cheyenne.

I really recommend the Disneyland Hotel if budget permits ~ but a personal favourite is definately the Sequoia Lodge. It has a beautiful wilderness theme to it and it just makes the evenings that much relaxing after a long day in the park (especially cocktails in the Redwood Bar next to the cosy log fire!)

With regards to shows there is always something going on at DLP!! Definately make time to visit the Disney Studios to watch the Moteur, Action Stunt Show wich runs twice a day and is a live action show with cars, motorbikes, fire, explosions and heaps of fantastic stunts! One of the best shows I've seen!

Theme Park wise - Disneyland Paris is huge with lots of detail throughout the parks (moreso with Magic Kingdom than Disney Studios) and you will need a good couple of days to truely experience it all. Touching on a previous post - Le Chateau de la belle au bois dormant (Sleeping Beauty's Castle) is the most stunning of all the Disney Parks purely because of it's location in Europe. Disney knew that European's have all seen castles before and therefore they had to build something quite spectacular and unique in order to impress. What I love is that you are able to walk inside it, around the walls and upstairs in the castle - also down below and see the dragon in the cave (something the other Disney parks lack).

The rides are much newer and modern in DLP too - as mentioned previously Space Mountain : Mission 2 is much more thrilling than its American counterpart - it features 360degree turns, loop-the-loops, corkscrews and hairspin turns.

The DLP "Pirates of the Caribbean" Ride was the actual one that the movie was based on too due to its spectacular design and theming - in fact, it's American counterparts have redesigned their entrances and queues to try and be more like the one in DLP for that reason... you will notice that DLP has not added Captain Jack Sparrow into the attraction as they would like to keep it unique...

Phantom Manor is also a much more darker and interesting adaptation to its American sister "Haunted Mansion". Again, worth a good look!

There is so much to see and do at DLP and I am more than happy to help people with their holidays there as I really adore the entire resort. The hotels are beautifully themed and there is so much to see and do even once the park gates close of an evening with the bars, restaurants, nightclub and evening shows...

I have visited WDW and DLP - and I agree with people when they say you cannot compare the two, and it's true, you really can't. Think of them as two totally different holidays with different things to see and do... Just bare in mind, you are in Europe and not America - therefore people will be of a European Attitude (hustle and bustle... typical city behaviour) and not the usual all-American "have a great day" that you have come to love and expect from people in WDW... With that in mind, adapt yourself, enjoy yourself and remember - it's Disney!!

16. Kate

Kate Serious Forum Regular

I hope you dont mind me asking (those of you that have been) but if you are going to DLP how much do you think it all costs you? Travel, hotel and park tickets - id be reeeeally interested to know - thank you!

17. keith

ooo great questions!!!

Rottie, thanks so much! I'll have a good read of everything you say and do some research!

I'm feeling quite excited reading this thread !

18. Crazycatlady

Crazycatlady Harambe!

Chris and I have been to DLP loads of times, pre and post kids. Always have an amazing time. We even did a day trip once:yes: totally crazy, just so Thomas could go on his favourite ride Pirates of the Caribbean when he was 2:thumbsup:

The price is always hard to swallow when comparing it to an equivalent WDW holiday but a necessary evil if you need a quick fix without 2 weeks off work and 9 hours on a plane.

We have gradually worked our way up from hotel Santa fe , sequoia, Newport bay and the Disneyland hotel. The latter is stunning, truly magical, especially if you splash out even more on castle club which gives you your own check in desk upstairs, a lift directly to the gates (with a cool magic card to activate the lift), rooms with views down main street and ...............the golden fastpass:yes:

We are going back in February and trying out the hotel new York as it also offers state rooms with the same fast pass but costing a few hundred less:
    Will let you now how it compares.

19. keith

really good points yep :yes: a short break would be much easier to manage sometimes

ooo yes please! are there nice restaurants in the hotels like WDW?

20. Crazycatlady

Crazycatlady Harambe!

The castle at DLP has always been our best:yes: especially the dragon

Space mountain is awesome, and POTC and BTM are definitely better.

The outside and inside of IASW are also better.

Downsides as already mentioned are French manners, smoking, queue jumpers (particularly around characters), smelly toilets and the weather: