1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

understanding tipping?

Discussion in 'General' started by eeyoreguy, Aug 1, 2008.

1. eeyoreguy

eeyoreguy Earning my ears

Sorry, I ve read all the posts about tipping but Im still not sure.

ok $1 a drink at the bar? sounds a lot, 10% at buffets? 18% everywhere else unless very bad or very good?

What about small things like the people at the front call us a taxi and hold the door open when we get in?

it just seems like its easiest to offer a few dollars to everyone but were on a budget and it will add up :(

2. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

It does get out of hand. :(

Strictly speaking, tip the server, the barkeep, and the cab driver.

If someone carries your luggage for you, that's a tip. But common courtesy is not necessary to tip.

I hate tipping, can you tell! :eek:

3. MystikPiglit

MystikPiglit Peace, Love and Mickey Mouse

It does all seem quite daunting, doesn't it. Remember that it's all personal choice and if you are on a tight budget tip what you can afford. :p015:
    Just use the info as a general rule, not a hard and fast one. :thumbs_up:

Nope.

4. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I hate tipping with a passion. However, to compensate for the fact that I hate it, I tend to overtip :rolleyes008:

I tend to tip in the 20% range when at a restaurant. I don't typically go to buffets but I tip the same there.

Valets $1-2 when I pick up the car. I don't tip when dropping off

Bellmen- Usually $1 per bag

Bartenders- don't tend to order directly from the bar much but usually $1

5. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Tipping is a tough issue. Since I have an AP I also have the DDE card. This gets you a 20% discount in the restaurants and lounges but it also AUTOMATICALLY adds an 18% tip to your bill. I'll add more if the service warrants it, although recently my waiter would not let me add more as he said that the 18% was plenty. Never had a waiter refuse an additional tip like that. LOL

However as Johnie says, if I'm paying cash then the Bartender normally gets about $1.00 per drink. I don't pay to valet park (free on the DDE) so I tip on both ends, the fellow/gal who parks the car and the one who retrieves it. Bellhops generally get $1.00/bag but be careful if you use curbside check-in here in the US as a lot of airlines are actually charging for that these days and that DOES NOT include the tip for the person who checks you in.