1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

United & US Airways to charge for luggage

Discussion in 'Transportation & Travel' started by MickeyMouse, Jun 13, 2008.

1. MickeyMouse

MickeyMouse Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Full Article at http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/06/13/business/bags.php
    Source: Herald Tribune

For weeks, American Airlines stood alone in facing the ire of passengers over its decision to begin charging $15 to check the first bag. But it now has some company.
    United Airlines said Thursday it would put the charge into effect Friday, two days earlier than American. The $15 fee, for passengers flying on leisure fares booked in advance, is on top of a $25 fee for checking a second suitcase that airlines began charging recently.
    And US Airways said Thursday that it, too, was matching the $15 fee but would not put it into effect until July 9. Elite members of its frequent-flier program are exempt, but US Airways said its charge would apply to flights to and from Canada, Latin America and the Caribbean, meaning its program was broader than its rivals'.
    Airlines are attributing new fees and surcharges to high fuel prices, up 91.5 percent from this time last year, according to the International Air Transport Association.
  2. UKTim

UKTim Earning my ears

:eek: EVERYTHING is extra now isnt it !

We fly BA which is still pretty good and all included, drinks and so on but I can see everyone charging for bags soon :(
  3. Andy _B

Andy _B Earning my ears

I have heard that the charges for luggage applied by the Airlines based in the States are not yet to apply to tranatlantic flights and their connecting flights.
  4. Jodie

Jodie Addicted to Mickey

I don't mind paying for what you use so long as other prices come down, the actual seat price been the same then baggage on top is unfair

:)

Jodie