1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Universal restaurants and nightlife?

Discussion in 'Restaurants, Dining, Dining Plans' started by MonorailMick, May 1, 2010.

1. MonorailMick

MonorailMick Earning my ears

Ive read on here about pleasure island and there not being much to do there. Someone suggested universal citywalk?

Is there a list of restaurants and other things to do there? Do you think it's worth a cab journey from Disney

2. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

We have a Citywalk section right HERE :yes:

3. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Goes to show how little *I* know, I didnt know we had such a great section on it :lol:

I've only been once and just went to the cinema but it looks like with less happening at Downtown Disney, this may be worth a visit!

4. Kate

Kate Serious Forum Regular

Ive only ever walked through city walk, im far too tired at the end of the day to do anything in the evening! :lol:

5. BUTTERHEAD1

BUTTERHEAD1 Addicted to Mickey

I stayed at Royal Pacific 2 years ago and it is connected to CityWalk. We would go to Citywalk and stop by Margaritaville or Pat O'Briens and have a few drinks and do some shopping but never went to any of the clubs.

6. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

If you take a cab from Disney do so from the Market Place end of DTD. Tell the cabbie to go along Hotel Plaza Blvd, to a LEFT at the intersection of 535 and an immediate RIGHT onto Palm Parkway that becomes Turkey Lake Rd. Follow Turkey Lake to the back entrance of Universal. It's less expensive (shorter distance) than doing the I4 to Kirkman Rd route.

7. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

will a cabbie take your instructions tink if you tell them which way to go?

8. Tink

If they didn't I'd get out of the cab! :nono: I'd ask beforehand if I were worried about it.

It's one of the benefits of "maps" on my Droid (and a comparable feature on the iPhone). I can bring up my destination and watch as we go along. I've done that in other cities when traveling for work. The cabbies don't like it at all, but I'm very clear that it is "completely unacceptable" to expect me to trust a stranger in a profession known for taking advantage of visitors. That generally sets the tone, but I really don't care. I'm over being overcharged due to unfamiliarity with a given area.

Ugh. I'm sounding like a real grump this day between tipping and cabbies, aren't I! :lol: :sorry:

9. ukwdwnut

good for you tink, i dont suppose many people would do that, i know i wouldnt have the front to...do they charge by the mile or time your in the cab?

when i was first diagnosed, i had to travel up to london under my own steam, it nearly killed me doing all that walking, i got into a black cab and he charged us £40 for what seemed just a few miles, it just seemed like he was going the long way round

10. Tink

Both. By the mile, and the meter is going if you are stuck in traffic (supposedly at a different rate).

It's not so much front Mick, as it is being tired of having been taken advantage of. :sigh:

Perhaps I'm hyper sensitive to it, but I interpret some of the stunts as "oh, look a dumb woman traveling alone." :shrug: Not sure if that's fair, or if it's just, "oh, look a dumb tourist traveling alone :D " but I'm over it, eh?

I make sure it's understood exactly what I want, how much I'll pay, ect. prior to getting into a cab.

I've had them try and change it up at arrival to the destination and have flat out refused to pay the "up charge." "YOU SAID IT WOULD BE XXXXX. That is what I am paying. Do you want it or not?" In those cases, of course there is NEVER a tip.

11. ukwdwnut

tink i didnt mean having the front as being how i think you read it, i mean having oh i cant explain what i mean lol. i know what you mean about not wanting to be constantly ripped off and your not being hyper sensitive about it either

12. Tink

I wasn't offended by your comment, Mick. I took "having the front" to mean something along the lines of having the temerity? Not sure if that's exact, but something along that context. :yes:

13. ukwdwnut

you got it tink :) :hug2: