1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Universal - Rumours

Discussion in 'Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure News & Rumo' started by Oreo, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

Listening to a podcast yesterday and caught a guest on one of them by the name of Jim Hill. I’ve read a lot of his stuff and he seems to know his stuff.</SPAN>

He was saying there are various rumours within Universal and thought I’d share them to see what you guys think.</SPAN>

Toon Lagoon is to be replaced with a new land themed to the Lord of the rings. </SPAN>

ET in Universal Studios is set to close and be re-themed into a Smurfs attraction. </SPAN>

Disaster is to have a major re-theme also but didn’t go into the detail of what was going there. </SPAN>

He also believes that Universal Studios third park will be sooner rather than later. </SPAN>

I think these are some interesting developments and it keeps things fresh.</SPAN>

He also said that Disney were concerned with the level of international visitors who were going to Universal rather than Disney and that is why we are seeing lots of Free Dining offers. </SPAN>

I wonder if we will see a response from Disney in terms of new areas/attractions.</SPAN>
  2. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Interesting that Disney would balance free dining with the lure of new attractions and exciting developments at US/IOA. Hmmmm...
  3. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

Doesn't surprise me one bit.

Still waiting a proper response for Harry Potter.

He made a good point about how Universal are fairly quick with there developments whereas Disney like to take their time.

I'll be honest I am considering staying off property for a night at Universal next year. It's becoming a very big draw!
  4. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I think it would be a good thing to do, since it's interesting to you. I/we are not US/IOA fans, but the little guy is doing the "Harry Potter" dance so we may end up visiting there again, at some point.

I don't have any real complaint about US, it's just not our vibe, if that makes any sense?
  5. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Hold tight, just moving this over to News and Rumors :D
  6. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

As a stroppy teenager I hated Universal. All I wanted to do was go to Disney. I didn't like the rides at Universal and I'm not a huge coaster nut. So Disney was about my level.

As i've got older I have grown to like Universal to the point now where I am happy to spend three days away from Disney to visit.

I really feel that they are leaving Disney behind at the moment.

Sorry that's my fault. Apologies! :)
  7. Wendy

No need to say sorry, I do it all the time but I move it before anyone realises :lol:
  8. Faythstar

Faythstar Imagineer

Yay to the new park; I would be very interested to see what they do with that.
    It would be sad to see Toon Lagoon go, because I love the theming, it's very cute, but there really isn't anything we ride there. It's more of a walkthrough area for us.
    The thing I REALLY disagree with is changing E.T. to Smurfs. I mean, REALLY? I can't believe they even got clearance to make a second Smurfs movie, let alone that they would take the second most iconic Universal attraction (the first one being Jaws, which is already gone) and replace it with something only marginally liked/successful just so they can say they have an "all-new attraction" is pretty sad.
  9. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

It was interesting listen. It was on the Dis after dark podcast.

Jim Hill reckoned that they needed something to appeal to the international audience and looking at the figures the film has made nearly $564m worldwide so it's quite a valuble film for Universal to use.

Aparently the queue area will remain very much the same, however it'll be the ride that changes a little. Although the main layout will remain the same I believe.
  10. robertcraig

robertcraig Serious Forum Regular

Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    I also heard universal had purchased land near WET AND WILD
  11. Suebeattie

Suebeattie Addicted to Mickey

The last few days I've been looking at what there is to do at universal and now we have little man with I was looking at what there is for him. Apart from a few rides in dr suess in IoA and the curious George water playground in US there is really nothing else for him.
    Because of this I'm looking at trying to squeeze both parks into one day.
    I hope that this 3rd park has a few more younger children rides or they introduce some baby/toddler friendly rides in to the parks already there

:wiggle:
  12. robertcraig

robertcraig Serious Forum Regular

Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    I THINK UNIVERSAL IS MORE FOR OLDER CHILDREN
  13. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

SMURFS???!!!!! :nono:
  14. Wendy

As you won't be going on lots of rides, I think it's possible to do both parks in one day :yes:
  15. Faythstar

Faythstar Imagineer

I KNOW! I totally agree. BOO, Smurfs! (Or at least the new Smurf movies. Who can boo the Smurf-Smurfs? Honestly.)
  16. Tishypops

Tishypops Addicted to Mickey

We have really struggled with this decision this time. Last time we were there we had a great time and spent hours at the curious George water area. This time my DDs love so many of the films but I have a big concern that the rides will either be too big (hulk and dragon challenge) or too intense. It leaves just a handful of rides so it is hard to justify too much time here. I think we are going to hold off in deciding how much time we want to spend until we are actually there as I can book tickets through my agent site up to the day before I need them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk