1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure ONE DAY ONLY

Discussion in 'Universal/Islands of Adventure' started by Beccaberry, May 30, 2013.

1. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

*sneaks in and looks around* Hmmmmm...never been here before....

Ahem. So, as some of you may know, the girl is going on a cruise in July. Their first port of call is Orlando and they have chosen US/IOA as their destination for the day.

As this family believes me to be the smartest person they know when it comes to all things Disney (mostly because they haven't met you lot) they automagically think I ALSO know everything about Florida in general, including US/IOA. We, of course, know all of that is pure rubbish. So. Please help me look less dumb?

A few questions I've come up with so far:
    • Can they realistically go to both parks in a single day? (Keeping in mind they arrive no earlier than noon and MUST be back on the ship for a 9:30PM departure)
    • Should they buy the Express Pass to make the most of the day?
    • If they HAVE to choose a single park to go to, which should they choose?
    • What are your "not to be missed" rides at each park?

That should get us started. :)

2. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Okay, lets see,

Can they realistically go to both parks in a single day? (Keeping in mind they arrive no earlier than noon and MUST be back on the ship for a 9:30PM departure)

It will be hard going to do everything in both parks, it's possible if they just look around and only go on a few rides.

Should they buy the Express Pass to make the most of the day?

I've heard good and bad things about the Pass, I've never used it, but then we go at a quiet time of the year. People that I know that have used it say that it is not as good as Disney's Fastpass.

If they HAVE to choose a single park to go to, which should they choose?

Islands of Adventure, there are more coasters for them to ride and once they have ridden them, they could possibly pop into US for a quick look around, just to say they've been in there.

What are your "not to be missed" rides at each park?

I'm not really a ride person, my type of rides are ET in Universal, things like that. I don't think I have been on anything in Islands of Adventure, but if they are coaster addicts, they will love it.

Not much help and I :lol:

3. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

We love Universal Studios but mainly just have a walk around Islands of Adventure as we don't go in much for the big rides. IoA would be better for rides.
    We love US for the Blues Brothers, Beetlejuice and parade.

We have used the express pass as it gets you into the shows first too. The advantage it has over the Disney Fastpass is that it can be used at any time on the specific day, you don't just have an hour window to use it and you don't have to wait to get another Fastpass either, you can go straight from one attraction to another. The downside is you do have to pay for it and the price varies on park capacity.

Not to be missed rides, I would say Mummy, Back to the Future, Minions and the new Transformer ride at US. At IoA, The Hulk, and Spiderman.

4. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

No longer there :(

It is possible to do all in one day. However, it all depends on crowd levels and how much they want to look in detail at each attraction.

If they can squeeze another half day in somewhere I think that would help.

Their version of fastpass is great but remember that those who stop in Universal hotels get it for free!

The main ride in Harry Potter is fantastic along with, Spiderman. I enjoy the water rides too as they're a lot of fun. No such a big fan of the rollercoasters so cannot comment on those.

5. Tishypops

Tishypops Addicted to Mickey

Hmmmm what time of year are they going and do they Like coasters? Also what time would they have to leave to get back for a 9:30 dept? I would think they are going to have around 6 hours in the park?

If they were to have any chance I would say express pass is a must! They would have to do run from one ride to the next and not really stop between. IOA has more coasters but US has more rides.
    Personally I think they would be in that much of a rush they will not be able to enjoy their time if they try to get in both.
    If they are leaving very soon I would say do IOA due to there being so much construction in US for Harry potter and Simpsons, if it was a little later in the year I would say if the are coaster people do IOA if they are not US is so much fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

I know - and I don't understand how I was typing Men In Black for Back to the Future to appear in black and white!!!!:lol: I'm blonde :surrender:

7. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

In the middle of summer? No, they won't be able to do both parks unless they have an express pass.

Thrill seeking teens should go to IOA if you are going to pick just one. I would think you could do the highlights at 1 park without express pass.

8. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

Thanks for all the advice everyone, they have decided on IoA, as suggested - I think. They've been vacillating back and forth all week though...so who knows! Do you purchase an express pass for a "specific" park or do you just buy it and take it to whichever park you go to?