1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

UPDATED: Disney Reveal More Information on My Magic+, FastPass+ and new MagicBand

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World News & Rumors' started by Wendy, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Walt Disney Parks and Resorts continue to push the boundaries of creativity and innovation to deliver the best possible experience for their guests. In doing this they are always looking for ways to take what they do and make it even better.

For the last few years Disnet have spent a considerable amount of time and resources to create a more immersive, more seamless and more personal experience for each and every guest who spends time at Disney.

Tom Staggs recently released some relevant information about the work that will take the entire Disney guest experience to the next level.

"Some of these initiatives are more apparent and can already be seen by our guests – like our interactive queues at Walt Disney World Resort and the Enchanted Art on our cruise ships – while others are more behind-the-scenes and are focused on “how” visitors plan, access and enjoy their experiences with us. Over the next several months, we’ll be rolling out a collection of tools at the Walt Disney World Resort called MyMagic+ that will give guests more opportunities to customize and personalize their entire visit.

haunted-mansion.jpg

Like most people who visit Walt Disney World Resort, my family and I have our “must-do” attractions, and as the father of three boys, those attractions often end with the word “mountain.” Now, rather than dashing as a group, or even splitting up to gather FastPasses, imagine booking guaranteed ride times for your favorite shows and attractions even before setting foot in the park. With MyMagic+, guests will be able to do that and more, enabling them to spend more time together and creating an experience that’s better for everyone.

A major component of MyMagic+ is the new My Disney Experience website and mobile app, which gives guests planning their trip the latest information on all Walt Disney World Resort has to offer.

animal-kingdom.jpg

We know that some people like to plan every aspect of their Disney vacation in advance while others like to plan very little, letting their day unfold spontaneously. No matter where guests fall in that spectrum, My Disney Experience gives them the flexibility to plan as much or as little as they’d like to create the exact Disney experience they want. They can book dining and other experiences and reserve times for their favorite attractions, shows and more through an enhanced FastPass system, FastPass+. Once they arrive, they can use their smart phones to spontaneously change their plans in the moment, exploring our parks at their own pace and getting the most out of their visit.

Linking the entire MyMagic+ experience together is an innovative piece of technology we developed called the MagicBand. Worn on the wrist, it will serve as a guest’s room key, theme park ticket, access to FastPass+ selections, PhotoPass card and optional payment account all rolled into one. We’ve began testing certain aspects of MyMagic+ in Florida last month and the early reactions we’ve gotten have been fantastic.

wrist-band.jpg

This collection of tools is another step forward in the ongoing evolution of our guest experience, giving us even more ways to help friends and family create the unforgettable Disney memories that they want most. We’ll be testing, adjusting and adding features to MyMagic+ and My Disney Experience over time and will continue to make improvements based on our guests’ feedback. We look forward to sharing more with you in the months ahead!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  2. Vikki

Vikki Serious Forum Regular

Re: Disney Reveal More Information on My Magic+, FastPass+ and new MagicBand

I wonder if this wristband will be one you can take on and off or one of those horrible ones like they have at all inclusive resorts.

3. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

oo I've not seen those Vikki? they sound bad :/ what are they like?

4. Wendy

It seems more and more information is surfacing as the day goes on.

In response to worried Florida Residents and Annual Pass Holders, Tom Staggs has said that Disney's Annual Passholders are very important to Disney and they will take extra care to provide access to all the features and benefits of MyMagic+ including the MagicBand and FastPass+.

Guests staying at Walt Disney World Resort hotels, Florida Residents Passholders and Annual Passholders will receive a band, so will guests who purchase a photography package. The MagicBand will function as room key, park ticket, FastPass+ and credit card.

Initially the MagicBand will only be available to select Walt Disney World Resort hotel guests and guests who purchase a photography package.

Guests who stay at non-Disney hotels will receive a ticket with features such as, touch to enter the park, touch to redeem FastPass+ and touch to pay, the will also be able pre-register to purchase a MagicBand.

MyMagic+ will allow users of a new Web site and app — called My Disney Experience — to preselect three FastPasses before they leave home for rides or V.I.P. seating for parades, fireworks and character meet and greets.

It has been confirmed that the Disney FastPass+ service will be included with theme park admission, so this is good news as it sounds like it will be available to everyone.

Guests will not be forced to use the MagicBand system, and you will be able to decide how much information you want to share. An online options menu will offer various controls: Do you want park employees to know your name? Do you want Disney to send you special offers when you get home? What about during your stay?

My opinion is that as the data will also be used to make waiting areas for rides more interesting, Guests will provide as much information as Disney require to make their holiday time as magical as possible. An example of this is that Under the Sea in the New Fantasyland, features a robotic version of Scuttle the sea gull from “The Little Mermaid” that will be able to chitchat with MagicBand wearers. Who is going to miss the chance of being able to chat with Scuttle.

It is understood that Disney plans to introduce collectible sets of MagicBand accessories and charms.

5. Wendy

Here is a photo Vikki, it looks to me as if it has a popper so it can be taken off.

magic-band.jpg

6. Vikki

Great. That does look good. I wonder if people without a park ticket will get one? Ava will only be 2 next year. Would be a bit awkward if Ben had one and she didn't ;)

7. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I hate the wrist band thing :-( I don't even like to wear the papery wrist bands they give at MVMCP and MNSSHP

8. keith

Must admit, I don't like wearing those either

9. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

i really like the idea of the wrist band and the potential, i can understand how people wouldn't though that aren't into technology. Disney knows everything about me anyway as i tend to use my room card to charge everything to

10. keith

If it's going to help personalise the experience and make it better for me, rather than just charge me more money ;-) then I'm up for it but there better be some real uplift in quality of service if I'm to wear that and give up my privacy so they know where I go etc

11. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

it looks like we may all be losing the choice soon if things like this take off..... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20957587

i know that home carers locally have devices with this in. Lozzy do you have a device? they're looking at them for ID devices too for lone worker security for NHS community workers

12. Vikki

I wonder if you'll be able to choose the band or the KTTW card so you can have either. Obviously you wouldn't be able to do as much with the card but I hope they don't get rid of it entirely.

13. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I try not to be a conspiracy theorist lol but this is all a little too Big Brother for me

14. Wendy

I agree with you Johnie :yes:

15. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

It has some interesting features, but wearing a PLASTIC wrist band in 100degree heat doesnt sound so much fun!

Plus I can see my 3 yo taking it off, pulling on it and biting :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk