1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Upgraded flight options and opinions please?

Discussion in 'Transportation & Travel' started by Jax1970, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Jax1970

Jax1970 Imagineer

DH and I are definitely going to fly Upper/Business in Mar 2010 (6th-26th). We live near to Manchester, and will be holidaying with the Mouse. That being said, we are looking to book the most luxurious flights that we can afford, as this will probably be the one and only time we fly this way.

So, please could you give me your opinions on the best way to make this journey. Would LHR-MIA on the new UC Virgin config be the best? How about MAN-MCO via Philly on US Airways envoy class? Or just plain old MAN-MCO with VA UC? Are there any better options? Maybe BA?

Opinions, and even better, images of the cabin, very gratefully received.

Thanks!

2. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

We have flown UC several times with Virgin, thanks to our Flying Club miles! :lol:
    Personally I wouldn`t pay to fly UC unless I got a good deal on the fare, especially on the outward bound leg as PE is more than adequate. The return journey is a different matter since you can stretch out on your own bed for a good nights sleep.
    That said, if you can afford it then go for it!

The only thing to bear in mind with Virgin UC though is that if you or your partner is a nervous flyer then remember that you don`t sit next to one another as in a conventional cabin. Instead, you have your own "pod" along the side of the aircraft angled towards the cabin with your back to the windows. If the nervous one is behind you then he/she won`t be able to see you at all.

3. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

I would definitely book something that would fly me into Orlando. You don't want to make that long flight into Miami and then have to make the 4-5 hour drive to Orlando and repeat it going back. I have never flown either Virgin or US Airways in business/first class but have flown BA in both business and first and must say I am totally impressed.

4. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

i prefer BA too, Club is very nice and you can get some great deals at the moment.

5. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

What Slowhand said... I have just been extremely lucky enough to have been up graded to Upper Class on Virgins African Queen this last monday. Premium Economy is very comfy now and is perfectly acceptable for the outward bound flight, but like Slowhand said... the night flight back is rather wonderful in Upper Class, not so cramped and you get to lie down for a sleep with a nice soft pillow and quilt and pyjamas provided.

6. Jax1970

Jax1970 Imagineer

Thanks guys.

This is a once in a lifetime UC trip for DH and I. When I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2002 we didn't think I'd live to see 40, but this trip is our all out celebration of reaching that special age. So, as you can imagine we want it to be really special.

I think we're going to stick with the MAN-MCO UC flights with Virgin. I quite like the idea of flying down to London and flying for LHR-MIA outbound, but it means less time at WDW!

I've had some quotes, but am now looking for your advice as to how to get the absolute best price available. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Jackie

7. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

Yep the quotes make your eyes water don't they..... Premium Economy out and UC back is the only way I reckon the prices will look somewhat better unless you have some airmiles.

8. Jax1970

Jax1970 Imagineer

We have approx 90k Virgin miles between us, and I'm due a companion flight voucher and an upgrade one too I think from the VA Amex, but there aren't any reward seats showing for our dates currently. There is reward availability going out on 5th, but nothing for a week either side of our return dates. Do you think they might not have loaded these dates in yet? (Says she, very hopefully)

Jackie

9. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

No idea hopefully Slowhand or someone else can help you.

10. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

I`d certainly give VA a call.
    So long as you are a bit flexible with your dates I`ve always found them to be very helpful. I normally say to them "I wan`t to fly out around [such and such a date] and to return around [such and such a date], and see what they come up with.
    You will stand a better chance of using your FC miles if you can steer clear of busy times like school holidays etc.
    Sometimes they also come up with a good Miles plus money deal.
    It`s definitely worth a call.

11. Jax1970

Jax1970 Imagineer

I'll let you know how I get on. Otherwise, I'm determined we're flying UC, so will just have to bite the bullet and pay up!