1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Upgrades with virgin?

Discussion in 'Transportation & Travel' started by luvthemansion, Apr 4, 2010.

1. luvthemansion

luvthemansion Imagineer

:wave: is it possible to still get upgrades from economy to premium economy on virgin and if so how? :unsure:

Theyre not showing up on our booking because we've used our miles to get the flights but other people have mentioned cheaper upgrades at the airport so I wondered if we could perhaps phone a bit earlier like the day before to try and get one?
  2. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

If it works like BA does then you won't be allowed to pay to upgrade as you've used miles to pay for the flight. You'll find it inthe terms and conditions. It may be worth asking at the airport though, you never know.
  3. arkvilla

arkvilla Addicted to Mickey

If you have enough airmiles you could call reservations and see if they can amend your trip and use the miles maybe.

My husband used his and flies Economy on the way out and PE on the way back using some of his airmiles.

Sandra
  4. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Virgin is a little different from BA (although BA will do it too if you're high enough on their frequent flyer programme and depending on who you talk to)

In general, if you call before your departure date, they'll tell you that they cant upgrade you from a miles+money flight without basically redoing it all again or charging you for a non-miles flight. It's usually thousands.

However, if it gets very close to the day of departure and they have plenty of space in PE and not much in economy, they'll start calling people and offering them very attractively priced upgrades.

Even if they don't, if there's space left on the day of departure, you will often see signs in the airport saying PE upgrades for £219 or something like that. Those upgrades are available even if you booked miles+money so avoids the problem that britchick mentioned about not being able to upgrade a miles+money flight. They can work out to be a very economical upgrade
  5. Britchick

What about if it's just a miles redemption flight? Will they consider it too?
  6. keith

It doesn't matter at all Brit. At the airport when they're trying to fill the seats, however you got your seat if you're willing to pay the usually rather cheap upgrade fee, they'll charge your card and print your new PE/UPPER tickets :yes:
  7. Britchick

Thanks! Wouldn't have tried it but will now! I managed to upgrade both ways last time for £50 per person!
  8. keith

oh well I must admit, other than rare free upgrades, I've never managed £50! so I think whatever you're doing, keep doing it :lol:
  9. Britchick

That was online Keith, kept checking always a different price and then that- it was a no brainer!