Upper class on Virgin

Discussion in 'Transportation, Travel and Car Rental' started by Clarkkent, May 29, 2015.

1. Clarkkent

Clarkkent Well-Known Member

Sign Language Interpreter
    Hi everyone.

So, having been persuaded by an insistent Deafjeff, we have taken the plunge and upgraded our flight back home next year to Upper Class. (Jeff is now racing around the room doing a victory dance). :dalebounce:

I know a few of you have flown in Upper Class before. Any views, suggestions, best seats to grab?

Thanks all :)
    S
    x

2. Slowhand

Slowhand Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Retired
    Thanks to our Virgin Flying Club miles we have flown UC on our last 6 or 7 trips and it really has spoiled us from flying any other way. That said I doubt whether we would pay the high cost associated with UC, but if we can benefit from our FC miles then why not. ?
    We fly out of Manchester where Virgin operate using 747`s and our favourite seats are 6A & 6K as they are right at the front of the cabin so you can easily have a conversation with your partner....the Virgin crews refer to these as the "honeymoon seats". :yes: As you get further down the cabin the seats get gradually further apart as they are located by the windows and the rear two or so rows are separated by the bar area which can get a bit noisy at times if some of the passengers hang around here during the flight.

As you would expect, the on-board service is good and we have never been disappointed with the meals on offer bearing in mind that it is airline food after all!

One advantage when you land at MCO is that you are among the first passengers getting off the plane so this helps you to get in front of the queue at immigration.

Overall, I would recommend giving it a try. Is it worth the cost if you had to pay for the privilege?....probably not.

3. piglet

piglet Well-Known Member

clerical
    I have to agree with everything Slowhand has said. We had rows 6A&K and then the 2 rows back from them (there were 6 of us travelling at the time). The crew can't do enough for you, food is excellent. The only problem is that you sleep most of the way back and don't always get off the plane first as they let the PE off before us. Take it and enjoy and take lots of piccies

4. Clarkkent

Thanks guys. Appreciated.

Does anyone know if there is chauffeur service to MCO or is it just for London?

5. Slowhand

Slowhand Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Retired
    As far as I know they do offer a chauffer service although we`ve never used it.

6. Clarkkent

Do you mind me asking why you've never used it?

7. keith

keith Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Home Page:
    I agree with everything Slowhand & Piglet have said .....

although I must admit I HAVE had lousy UC service but hopefully it was an exception (or perhaps I'm just an awkward sod :lol: )

When we upgrade with miles, we normally get asked if we want the with-chauffeur or without and the "with" class of ticket is a lot more miles + tax money so we've never done it.

Personally I kinda regard virgin from Manchester as overrated. We don't get the nice lounge they have down south and we seem to get the crabby crews as well. I've always liked 747s but lets face it, theyre getting a bit tired even with the recent refurbs *BUT* online checkin works well, DTD checkin is great, there's no concern over free drinks/snacks in flight.

I'd fly in the cargo hold if it'd get me to orlando BUT in truth, premium economy is the very least I'd consider humane for a 9 hour flight. Economy is awful IMHO and MUCH worse than some of the charters like thomas cook/thomson.

UC takes you a level out with a much smaller cabin, much better food, usually better service and I know this is going to sound terrible but it can't be helped :/ the class of flyer in terms of the fellow flyers aligns more closely to my own expectations of behaviour. In other words, there's a kinda "feel" to the cabin.... away from the riff raff, no yelling or screaming, if someone bumps into you they'll likely apologise and perhaps strike up a nice conversation. An example, I was in economy and went to try and get a drink... waited ages because people constantly reaching past me or their screaming kidlet HAD to have xyz. In UC I moved to get up a fraction after a gentleman behind me did, he said what are you after, I'll grab it for you? I said oh thats very kind, a glass of orange if you can find any. Simultaneously a very small gesture and a very huge difference.

I can pretty much guarantee you'll love it :) but as sir Slowhand says, good luck going back to the other classes :(

8. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

Dazzling everyone with my sheer awesomness :D
    Be aware that they really rack up the heat on the overnight flight and in upper it is can be unbearably hot. It's lovely flying back upper as you can actually get some sleep and lying down too! Go for it :)

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

9. Clarkkent

Jeff wants to know: what's the sleep suit like? He gathers the recently trialled onesie has already finished and now it's back to the Ninja outfit?

10. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou Makuakane Staff Member Administrator

We love UC and wouldn't fly any other way now, even if it meant we could only go every other year.

The service you get in and out of Gatwick is very good, Manchester is not so good unfortunately.

The chauffer service is only for a 50 mile area so it wouldn't cover you to Wales unfortunately.

The sleep suit, well, it's a black thin sweat pant and top, it's nothing glamorous at all :lol: the top has a v neck but it is a high ve neck if that makes sense, I will see if I can find one. It comes in a black bag that has Sleepsuit written on it, so I guess it's a good souvenir to keep.

You don't get as much service as you do on the way out because most people go to sleep, but it's nice to be woken up with a glass of orange juice :smile:

Seat wise, Chris and I like seats 9A and K, they are in the middle, I find being in the tip of the plane a little claustrophobic and if you sit any further back you are too close to the bar. We prefer to be opposite each other rather than behind. The other nice thing with those seats is they have their own overhead lockers, 8A and K share theirs with 7 and 6.

11. Clarkkent

Top tips there thanks. I called Virgin today and asked how soon we could book the seats. As its 336 days in advance that takes us to the end of October this year. It's already in my diary to call them :)

12. piglet

piglet Well-Known Member

clerical
    Ours were black onesies, very sexy (?) and they didn't have my size so I had to have a large one (I'm a size 8) and every time I went to the loo I tripped over my trouser legs (very elegant). No you will never look elegant in them but hey, if you don't want to wear your usual clothes, just take a chance and PLEASE take piccies!!

13. Wendy

I only wear the top so I hope they don't go to onesies :lol:

14. Clarkkent

Thanks Keith. I have to agree that once you turn left on a plane, there's no going right anymore!
    We once heard someone say in one of the Gatwick private lounges that she much preferred being in a private lounge and flying PE because she didn't want to mingle (and I quote) "with the riff raff". We have since called Economy "riff raff class" in honour of this lady. So when you then mentioned being away from the riff raff I have to admit I laughed out loud. In Ikea. People stared.

We have flown PE ever since the first time we upgraded, although as you say I'd sit anywhere as long as it got me to WDW. Sit on the co-pilot's lap for 9 hours? Not a problem.
    I did have a bit of a grump-on when we flew back in PE last year though because the woman in front was holding a screaming 18 month old baby. For 6 hours. Cue a flurry of complaints to staff about how the parents weren't doing anything at all to try and calm the baby down (I can testify to the fact that she just let it scream rather than using soft, encouraging language). Jeff was at this point oblivious to the world, and for once in my life I actually wished I was Deaf for a short time.

Looking very much forward to going back out to WDW. Only 482 sleeps to go....

15. Clarkkent

Did you not take pictures of you in your over-sized onesie then? :)

We will take plenty of pics, don't you worry :)

16. Wendy

:lol: they won't know what's hit them :l:

17. Clarkkent

Do you think they'll get annoyed if I put my GoPro on a selfie-stick and get everyone to wave and cheer at the camera? :tiggertail::tiggertail:

18. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

Dazzling everyone with my sheer awesomness :D
    So you not going this September then?

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

19. Wendy

:laugh: Stephen, if you could get everyone to do that the photo will be brilliant. Unfortunately you can get some stuffy people on there :lol:

20. Wendy

What date are you flying home?