1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

upper class virgin - best seats?

Discussion in 'Transportation & Travel' started by keith, Jun 26, 2013.

1. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Im quite a way from our 90 day booking window but I want to be prepared!

In december we're going upper class from manchester. I ASSUME it'll be a 747

Any tips as to the best seats to book?

The last few times in UC we haven't really done much and we've tended to have one seat in front, one behind. I must say that turning round and trying to look over the "pod" to talk to the other person is quite tiring. I know there's the little seat for people to visit :lol:

So, what UC seats do you prefer and why?

2. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

We always have 9A and 9K, they are opposite and so you can see the person you are travelling with and make funny faces to one another :lol:

We actually prefer to be opposite rather than one behind the other, for the same reason you said, one of us - normally me - gets a sore neck peering over the top :lol:

The reason we go for these are you have your own overhead locker and it is in the middle, so it isn't too close to the bar, so if you have people that sit there you aren't distubed by them.

We usually eat together, Chris comes over to me and sits in the little chair.

I know Terry and Sue like 6A and 6K as they are right at the front and close together, so they can actually talk to each other. I would find it too claustrophobic as all you have in front of you is the nose cone. You also don't have your own overhead locker, seats 7A & K are the same, so you have to share with seat 8 or they cabin crew put you hand luggage in a wardrobe.

Seat A is a great seat to see KSC when you come ashore :D

I was worried we wouldn't get our seats because of the 90 day window, but I checked online at 12.30am and was able to erserve the outbound seats then. I can reserve the inbound next week.

3. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Serious Forum Regular

We would love to travel first class but it would cost us an extra £3,000!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

4. keith

I've always thought the same Jeff and of course, some people do pay that I guess!

...but I think MOST people flying upper class on hols are using airmiles, discounts, upgrades and so on.

I was quite amazed when I asked about the different ways to get an upper class upgrade. In the end our upper class december flights are costing us the same as PE flights cost us in May.

5. Wendy

I use Flying Club miles, there is no way I could afford to pay for the seats. I'm almost out of miles now, so this will probably be our last year for a while :( until we can save up some more.

6. keith

I think the thing that can be surprising is how miles can be collected... buy everything on virgin credit card rather than debit card and pay it off each month, there's the virgin shop thing which pops up whenever I go to a site that will give me virgin airmiles for buying from there and so on.

Then there are double miles offers on at times and so on.

Heck, I'm not an expert on it but I can see how with some care, the miles can rack up quite quickly

7. Wendy

:yes: I use any method possible to get extra miles, I even shop at Tesco now :lol: and buy Chris' shirts from Charles Tyrwhitt as there is usually a bonus of 8 miles to the £1.

If there's a way to earn miles, I will find it :lol:

I must admit I do sit on the plane saying "Noooo" when they suggest the credit card, reward seats are hard enough to get as it is :lol:

8. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

i got 4 'free' World traveller plus flights with BA last time we all went and that mounted up quite quickly- same way as Keith - you can even pay your council tax by cc now

9. robertcraig

robertcraig Serious Forum Regular

Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    If i win the lottery thats for me

10. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

There's a bad seat in First Class ?? :unsure:

11. arkvilla

arkvilla Addicted to Mickey

I've never flown upper class (I live in hope of a free upgrade :lol:)

We're using our airmiles to fly to Orlando in end of April though (Economy) and it's cost is £428 for the both of us in taxes so that a bargain.

Our Avios is paying for our car hire for the 2 week strip so they really do add up and can save you lots of money :yes:

Sandra

12. keith

Well I don't know that's there's a bad seat but amongst the good seats, clearly some will be better placed than others :D

13. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

I don't fly anywhere near as often as I used to and I don't have any credit cards that grant me air miles. So I rarely get an upgrade any more. In 2007 when we flew to the UK we paid PE on BA and they upgraded us to World Traveler. First time I had ever seen those facing seats like that. I was looking straight into the engine as it fired up. I have managed to snag a couple of first class upgrades on flights to or from Arizona when I have had to be out there on business but there has been a small cost to them. But believe me the cost was worth it. The last time I paid for FC tickets Donna and I went out to Disneyland for their 50th and we flew FC on Delta. I got a really good deal on them.

14. piglet

piglet Serious Forum Regular

:lol:We booked the very front seats on our way back last year simply because we had my grandson who was then 6 and we wanted to be close together. We're going UC on the way out next year and I haven't yet decided which seats to go for. Don't want to be too near the bar but having said that I've been UC twice now and never had anyone at the bar. Don't ask me how I managed to save as much as I did but I checked the prices every day and suddenly 5 came up that I could afford so I quickly checked with everyone else and they just said BOOK IT! so I did. I couldn't even use my miles for it just bit the dust and cut back on eating:lol::lol:

15. Wendy

I've never seen any good offers that I could afford and trust me I keep looking :lol:

The front seats are definitely better if you have children with you :yes:

We have had people sit at the bar, on our first ever UC flight, we flew from Manchester and there was a man and his partner on the flight who decided to get drunk, they were sat at the bar and very loud, Chris and I were in seats 10 that time and I hated it. I even complained to the cabin crew that they should stop serving them, sadly they didn't and then when he was sick over the poor lady in the last seat close to the rest room, they eventually stopped them drinking.

Last year, a man bought a lady up to sit at the bar with him, she was in PE I think, they were drinking champagne and the cabin crew took no notice until the supervisor came in and then they moved her and said she shouldn't be there :lol:

Hence my reason for sitting in row 9 :lol:

16. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Serious Forum Regular

Do NOT get the seats right next to the toilet as the constant flushing throughout the night will disturb you, and don't get seats near the bar area, as some people do like to drink up at the bar until quite late and the fluorescent lights make it too bright to sleep, although they do dampen them down when everyone finally clears off, IF you're lucky. I quite fancy the cone seats next time because there is no one walking past you and it's quite private and dark for when you want to sleep. I would choose those ones.

17. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

I wish I could afford upper class! We did premium once! :lol:

18. Esmeralda

Yes I had it... right by the toilets and bar area :(

19. Esmeralda

Oddly enough the free upgrade from PE to First Class was much nicer than the Upper Class experience we paid for! The freebie one the crew were more dedicated, the one we paid for they hardly ever came round, both flights were the night time ones. Natalie was so happy and taken with joy at our freebie upgrade that she stayed awake the whole flight as she didn't want to miss a thing lol.

20. keith

hmmmm yes I must admit I'm starting to think as close to the cone as possible may well be the best bet