1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

use a travel agent or book yourself?

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World' started by disneymom, Jul 5, 2009.

1. disneymom

disneymom Imagineer

Which do you prefer to do? we havent even had our next trip but I know I'll have to book another or I'll be so depressed when we get back

One thing, if we use an online travel agent and the company folds are we protected at all??

2. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

I think Johnie here is the Disney travel agent.. someone will be along soon to confirm and help you, I hear she gets really good deals.

3. pigletpete

pigletpete Imagineer

We've always used a travel agent because diy seems a bit scary. I think if you book a flight only yourself youre not covered if the airline goes broke unless you book with credit card

I think a good travel agent can save a lot of hassle

4. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

Well I was looking to book Xmas at Disney myself.... Val here the travel counsellor beat my prices by nearly three grand! She can get deals that we the public can't.

5. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

always booked VA thru a third party never got anywhere close booking them direct

6. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

The credit card advise is spot on... when TCD went bust we had booked it and paid by CC. We had our money refunded back into our account long before the ATOL refunds were given back. PLUS... ATOL do NOT cover your park tickets... whereas the CC covered the whole shebang. We were very happy I know you pay a fee to use the CC but it paid dividends for us in the end.

7. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

have never booked a flight or holiday through a TA, i do spend a lot of time finding the best deal though. I always put everything on a cc anyway as i'm collecting miles and it offers the protection. This year we are flying to Atlanta (3 ad and 1 child) in mid July for £1279 so I'm really pleased with that.

8. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

Wow Brit! That is a fantastic price.

9. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

i know!!! :lol:

10. princess-pink

princess-pink Earning my ears

I always book on the Virgin website, or BA depends who is cheapest, Virgin is better though. (£1400 for 4)
    We are lucky enough to have timeshare in spain which we exchange for luxury apartment in Florida, so that's dead easy. (£140 for 2 weeks exchange fee)
    Then book the hire car online with Hertz or Avis. (£180)
    Lastly shop around and buy tickets for the theme parks, (£1000) job done. (£2720)

What sort of price would it be for say a package for 4 people?

11. piglet

piglet Serious Forum Regular

I've always booked on the VA webside as well but this year when I'm going by myself by booking the flight with VA (using air miles) and the hotel through Disney UK I've saved myself a whole lot of money. I priced a holiday next year doing exactly the same thing but with 3 of us going and I'm still saving a load of money. Virgin charge single person allowance for one person and when 3 people are going you all have to pay for the room so to book it through Disney, you pay the price of the room and then divide by 3 (or however many are going). You also get preferred viewing at Wishes and Epcot so I'm really happy with that.:thumbsup:

12. sunsetlakes

sunsetlakes Earning my ears

We book independantly and enjoy the flexibility that gives us. To cover all the components of your holiday if you book this way you can buy a cheap insurance called "supplier failure cover" it starts from around £5 for your trip and can cover you for all parts of your holiday, ie: flights, villa, car hire, etc - so if any one of them fails you will be covered. Insurefor.com introduces Supplier Failure Cover will give you free quotes and details. :wave:

13. daveann

daveann Addicted to Mickey

this is our 1st one that i have booked seperate and we have saved a fair bit but it took ages of searching and pricing its not for the faint hearted i was getting so stressed but we got there in the end :)

14. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Well I have booked DIY plenty of times and I do enjoy the thrill of the hunt (for the greatest bargains). I have also used a TA in the past and that went well too.

Now, I am a TA and like helping other people find the best bargains as well. TA's don't charge anything for their services. We look out for the best deals for people and arrange all the little details. Some people just don't like being bothered with this or they don't even know where to start. It can be overwhelming especially with someplace like Orlando where there is so much holiday information.

15. Mandy

Mandy Earning my ears

We usually book by going to out local TA but this year we have booked through a TA via recommendation from another forum site and have had no problems at all with. :)

16. wishonastar

wishonastar Imagineer

We used to book with a high street agent then we found the internet :lol: and for the next visit will be booking with one of the people here.

There's something about seeing your travel agent every day and knowing they really know their subject. Easy to contact them and hopefully they'll be able to book our meal reservations without us phoning.

We did try DIY for the last one and missed out on some seriously large discounts that we just didnt know about :( which is why we'll be trying a TA this time around

17. premier travel

premier travel Forum Advertiser

If you book independendly ie thought the internet, car hire seperately, villa, hotel and flights if any portion goes bust you are not covered by ATOL, so say the accommodation co goes bust you can be left with no accommodation but as you have the flights it is up to you to sort out getting the money back if at all.

Majority of accommodation only suppliers are not abta bonded so no cover as the same for attraction ticket agents and car hire.

Earlier in the year a large American accommodation agent went bust and people have been charged on their credit cards for the accommodation as the hotels were not paid by the company, and this is months on.

There are a number of companies we would not use due to them being not abta covered or not acting as principal which is also another thing!

it is a mine field out there. The only way you are safe if booking seperately is use a credit card but then that does not cover you if the accommodation co goes bust as you will have to honour the payment to the hotel etc and you can find months later they will debit it from your card.

Also check your insurance for dynamic packaging cover

18. wishonastar

wishonastar Imagineer

Very interesting indeed everyone thank you.

Is there some way to know if someone on a forum is safe to book with??

19. wdwgrandma

wdwgrandma Addicted to Mickey

We've done both. Sometimes it's easier to let someone else handle the details. Other times we just do it ourselves - like our upcoming October trip to WDW. We booked almost all our ADRs online (had to call for House of Blues...), took advantage of a "bounce back" offer while we were at WDW in May, etc. I'll order Party for the Senses and Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party tickets when the time comes.

20. wdwgrandma

wdwgrandma Addicted to Mickey

If the company/person is a site sponsor, they should be safe to book with.