1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

using my mobile in the US

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by disney1sttimer, Jul 13, 2008.

1. disney1sttimer

disney1sttimer Earning my ears

Hi,

We're trying to work out whether to use our mobiles in disney or whether to try and buy phone cards or a pay as you go mobile over there. Anyone any ideas and if its better to buy over there, where is best?
  2. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

If your phone is unlocked, there is a site for you to buy american Payg sim cards, if you get two of them then you could get cheap calls to each other? Or do you mean to call back to england?
  3. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

We bought PAYG phones last year and they were so much cheaper than using our UK mobiles. I phoned the UK for something like 50 cents a minute it was silly money.

We will definitely be using them again this year it was so nice to be able to keep in touch with home and friends in the US.
  4. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Where from Wendy??
  5. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

We bought ours in Walmart, the phone cost something silly like $9.99 and it came with $5 of credit or it might have been $19.99 with $10 credit, I can't remember, Chris will know when he gets home.

When we were in the Mall of Millenia Chris was talking to someone in the shop and they said that they are excellent value.

I've had a look and it was an at&t GO phone - the phone is just a really cheap Motorola but it did the job. Looking at the leaflet international text messages are 25 cents to send and 15 cents to receive. Calls to other at&t numbers were free.

I'm just going to put the card into my old Nokia this year as my phone is unlocked - the Moto phone drove me crazy :lol:

Some of the phones don't have separate sim cards so you are stuck with the phone it comes with, I think that might be TRAC I'm not sure though, sorry.
  6. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

that sounds brilliant Wendy... I am considering taking my old mobile to spain with me... does anyone have the link to the site where you can buy a foreign simcard?