1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Trip Report Using UK cell phone in Florida

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by keith, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Tony G

Tony G Serious Forum Regular

Newer rumours (holy cow, I can see why this is called a 'mill'!) suggest the announcement will be made on 6th September, with a possible release as soon as 19th September.

...Not that I'm rumour-watching, or anything.

2. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I just wont know what to get :/ 4.7 seems still a little small though still one-handable... 5.5 is right up there with the latest but too large for my delicate girly hands :)

3. Tony G

For me, 4.7in is a good size (bear in mind, I'm coming from a 3.5in iPhone 4 screen).

A few of my friends have the Samsung Galaxy S3 or 4 and every time I watch them use their phones, they look like 11 year olds! Having said that, I saw one being used as a satnav with the same app that I use on my iPhone and I couldn't help but envy his extra screen real-estate.

I've been contemplating this for some time and I've come down on the side of the smaller one... Unless they bump the specs of the one with the larger screen. I keep my phones for a good long while, so if it ends up with the rumoured larger die CPU, I would go for that... 11-year-old hands be damned!

The real selling point of the 5.5in is if it can displace the need for a tablet altogether.

4. Tony G

Ooh, I just remembered this pic, which may be useful for you:

Left is the iPhone 5s, then the model of the 4.7in iPhone 6 and finally the model of the 5.5in iPhone 6.

iphone_5s_6_grass.jpg

5. keith

I just don't know :(

The iphone 5s is a perfect size for picking it up one handed, sending a text, blam done. Even the 4.7 may make it tough to reach that far but I suspect still doable.

This week I've been trialling two windows phones. a 5" and a 6"

The 5 is JUST above usable for me one handed but it does look nice. The 6" is completely unusable to me unless I hold it in one hand and use the other hand to point and click (yes yes ok stop the sniggering at the back! I see you!)

BUT as you say the 6" allows you to read web pages really well and it's POSSIBLY good enough to do as a tablet replacement as well as a phone.

I'm not at all sure I'll notice that much different between the 5s and a 4.7" 6 but I'm very sure the 5.5" one would feel like a whole new world... BUT it'd almost certainly be a two handed one and probably wont fit nicely into my shirt pocket.

Dunno. It's gonna be a hard decision for me this time around ESPECIALLY if the 4.7 comes out first and even more so if the 5.5 has better specs

6. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Serious Forum Regular

I'm really looking forward to the announcement. I had Samsung S4 and occasionally it is too big. I'm typing this while holding coffee :) I'm looking forward to third party keyboard esp swipe or something similar.

7. keith

yeah swipe is brilliant, and that does help with the size of the phone

8. Deafjeff

I agree and I'm also unsure which phone to get. Hopefully will have opportunity to have a play at Florida Mall :)

9. keith

yeah! be good to see them first I admit

10. Tony G

This is going to be a really difficult one. In the obligatory queues for it, everyone's going to be discussing which model they went for and I don't trust myself not to try and switch at the last moment!

I might have to resort to Blue Peter tactics and make myself a scale model and try using it... Oh Lord, that's sad. :embarassed:

11. keith

Ive had exactly the same thoughts :lol:

I hate the way Apple did it with the 5s :( no online preorders (as far as I remember) so the only way to get it was to queue for hours. People started queuing at Manchester at 10pm the previous day so a full 12hrs :( heck, I love my apple phones but 12 hrs in a queue??

I used to prefer to just order it online and have it arrive but I guess that doesn't give Apple the visuals on the news of people waiting in huge queues.

A guy in work just got an LG G3 which is 5.5" and it's BIG but not totally unmanageable. I dont think the 4.7 will give THAT much more than the 5s so at this moment, and I'll change my mind a hundred times, but right now, I'm thinking 5.5". Now, what if they say 4.7" in September and 5.5 not until November... hmmmm :/

12. Tony G

Hmmm... Interesting. I'm praying for online reordering, too. If not with Apple, then with Three.

OK, so how about a different perspective. Is there any feature that would make you not buy the new iPhone? For example, I'd be pretty disappointed if it didn't have NFC. I'm not sure if it would make me say no (considering my phone is so old now), but I know it would bug me.

13. keith

yeah last time we wandered around liverpool and manchester. Apple stores sold out of course, but 3, voda, o2, ee all had phones on contract.

In the end, a day or so after, carphone warehouse had them unlocked (lock to first network sim you put in). I phoned 3 who said they'd unlock it immediately if I bought one... so that's what I did and it's been perfect.

I can't imagine anything :( I'm such a fanboi that I can't immediately imagine what would put me off :lol:

I guess I'm looking forward to a bit of a different form factor, slimmer I kinda hope, better battery.

The main thing USE wise will be ios8 of course which I've already got so nothing really new there

I'd REALLY love them to do something sensible on the home screen. Widgets? tiles? SOMETHING. I know they won't and indeed havent on ios8 but I love some of the stuff on android where you can see updated weather/news etc on the home screen and even better on windows phones with the tiles

14. Tony G

LOL. I know what you mean about the fanboy bit. I've been using Macs since 1990 and it's a rare Apple product that I haven't lusted after!

I'd like them to make the Control Centre a little more useful. It's a great idea, but I don't just want to turn my Bluetooth on and off on the fly, I want to pair new devices (read: hire cars) quickly.

To briefly go back to the NFC thing, it has a few uses now, the most popular will likely be payments. I think this is a technology where developers will make it a 'killer app' - I can only imagine the cool things they can do with this facility - use it to unlock downloadable content, or for file sharing between phones, or as part of a home automation system... the list is endless.

Another little thing I'd like to see is QR code recognition in the camera app, so it would know a QR code, just as it knows a face and offers to scan it in a single click without the need for a third party app.

What I'd really like to see is another game-changer - a big addition like Siri was - it could even be a new sensor, or new connectivity but something really slick that makes us all wonder why they didn't think of it sooner... before we look at our bank balances, anyway.

15. Tony G

Have you seen this illustration?

fe665b3358ca1c31cd26a88694e6b58b_zps535156ee.jpg

16. keith

ahgrhjrghrhjrhgrhjrhgrhg LOL

17. Tony G

LOL!

...Sorry :embarassed:

18. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Chris has an old Samsung S2, he isn't one to change his phone very often. He likes the size of it and that's what has put him off the iphones. He is now waiting to see what the S6 is like compared to the iphone 6. Keith might make an Apple boy out of him yet :lol:

19. Tony G

So, the rumours strongly point to the new iPhones having NFC capability and perhaps Apple's own payment system (which I would welcome).

Perhaps more intriguing for Disney fans is the possibility of using your iPhone (or, dare I say it, your iWatch) as a magic band at WDW. It's really likely that it would work for payments, but wouldn't it be great if it could also do park admission?

Find out tomorrow...!

20. Deafjeff

Oooooohhh I like! I truly hope that apple payment does work in the UK