1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Vancouver

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Tink, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

As you can tell by my countdown timer, we are on holiday. We've spent a few days in Vancouver, BC prior to setting sail on our cruise (we embark today). We are in love with this incredible city, the beautiful Canadian people, the food, the sea port, all of it. Here are a few shots that Herself has taken. I hope you enjoy them. She has loads more, but I thought these were fairly representative of what we've seen. There are no food shots as we'd keep forgetting to take them before we started eating. :sorry:

This is a shot of the Public Market on Granville Island. We spent a lovely half day there wandering around. We purchased lunch which consisted of dried and cured meat, cheese, baguette, olives... one of our favorite ways to eat. Oh, and dark chocolate salty caramels for dessert. :D

FreshMarket.jpg

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  2. Tink

The marinas are some of the cleanest we've ever seen. No stink of dead and dying fish. No garbage floating. They keep them very clean as are all the boats and schooners, yachts, etc.

Attached Files:

3. Tink

There are many, many boats and yachts for sale. We thought we just might be able to afford this one! :D (It's so us, don't you think)? Redboat.jpg

4. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

YAYAYAYA loving the pics :D

5. Tink

This shot is taken from the seawall in Vancouver. The city is, of course a port city and a magnificent one at that. The day was beautiful, but a touch hazy. The downtown commerce area is populated with tall skyscrapers of metal and glass. Taken as a whole, it's almost a bit overwhelming. Very futuristic. There is a bit of "old" here and there, but for the most part, the business area of Vancouver is high tech and very modern looking.

Cityharbor.jpg

6. Tink

This is a reflection of a building within the building. The exterior glass of most of the downtown buildings is highly reflective. Couldn't resist playing with a shot or two.

DbleBldg.jpg

7. Tink

You'll remember Vancouver was the host of the Winter Olympics 2010? This is the Olympic Torch. The mountains in the background were fabulous for we "flatlanders."

Olympictorch.jpg

8. Tink

We spent much time by the sea. This (fat, gray) gull was dining on starfish. One of the gulls swallowed one whole. It was a frightening sight to see! Was convinced it would choke to death, but it managed to survive.

Gull.jpg

9. Tink

The Vancouver Harbor has a seaplane terminal. We watched as seaplane after seaplane took off and landed. I loved the gas station in the middle of the harbor!
    HarborGas.jpg

10. Tink

So there are a few shots of this beautiful city. We are loving it. Could easily, EASILY live here. The place is clean, the traffic although heavy is well controlled and there is not a heavy handed police presence. We watched a film being shot (three days in a row) in an area of downtown. It's "Metallica." (Yes, the band). Amazing stuff and equipment like you wouldn't believe! Prices are high, but not for a city. The only thing we never found was a proper grocery store! :lol: Little convenience stores here and there, but nothing that shows us where the city dwellers buy their food. And yes, it's an urban city with a heavy residential faction.

Oh, another thing we noticed is that there are very few old people around. :unsure: Unlike, NYC where you see them coming and going about their daily business, Vancouver seems quite young, and full of beautifully dressed young professionals. Men wear suits and women wear heels! :eek: There is a young element that wears irreverent, shock factor clothing, but nothing seriously untoward (more along the lines of "just fun"). We did see two women who were noticeable for their ermmmmm... lack of properly fitting clothing. :D Herself wondered if they were working girls. They could have been, but even so, they were fairly classy (without gobs of makeup, ect). It was just the barely there clothing that caused them to "stick out" and be noticeably different from the rest of the people surrounding them.

Was very happy to see very few jeans and almost no t-shirts in this city! YAYAYAYAYAYAY! I get so sick of jeans and t-shirts. :sigh:

Not sure when I'll get a chance to upload more photos as we will be without wifi for the majority of the remainder of our holiday.

Take care, and "see you all real soon!"

11. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Serious Forum Regular

Sighs...... I need THAT holiday............

12. Tink

Time for a couple of more uploads (whew! They take a LONG time to upload!!)... Here is a shot of a seaplane preparing for take off. Apparently, we are fascinated by all things sea or air related. :D

Seaplanetakeoff.jpg

13. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Beautiful photos, Tink! Thanks! :thumbsup:

Canada always impresses me also. On the trips I've made up there, the whole place seems so clean and neat in comparison with US cities.

Hope you have a marvelous cruise. I'd really love to do an Alaskan cruise sometime. (Although I'd do it on Disney).

Tom :)macwave:... DCL bigot. :sail:)

14. Tink

Would you care to learn to sail? Fly? Row? That's what these folks are doing on a gloriously beautiful Saturday. Learning to row...

Rowing.jpg

15. Tink

This lonely little tomato plant was growing in a tiny crack in the pavement on the heavily trafficked walkway by the cruise ship terminals. We'll suppose it got there courtesy of a gull... wonder if it will ever bear fruit?

Tomatoplant.jpg

16. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

It looks really nice and the photos are very good :D

Chris has family in Canada, but he has no wish to visit :unsure: I'd go in a heartbeat but he's just not interested and as we know from cruises, when he's made up his mind .....................:lol:

17. Tink

This is the oyster bar at Joe Fortes the single best place for seafood in Vancouver (well, that is our opinion of course, but it's shared by many)! We had our very first raw oysters there. We are now devotees for life! Don't ask me what possessed me to order them, but once I committed, I was going to eat them! At the first beautiful taste, I told Herself we were in serious trouble (they are NOT inexpensive). She got brave and tried one too, and voila! Oyster lovers born! We've always loved them cooked, mind.

OysterBar.jpg

18. Tink

There wasn't enough room to get a proper shot, and Herself won't be happy that I posted this one, but I wanted you to see the beautiful Kammamoto oysters that we had. They are quite small, and very deep shelled which holds all the lovely liquor. They are crisp and not at all "raw" feeling in your mouth. We preferred them with the mignonette sauce (which we had had before with Oysters Rockefeller) over any of the other two (a soy based sauce, and the cocktail/horseradish sauce mix).

Kummamoto.jpg

19. Tink

Tom, that is so true. The city is so very clean! I don't really know how they do it as you don't see street sweepers, ect. You do see any number of people collecting plastic drink bottles (and glass ones too) for the deposits. That helps, I'm sure.

Wendy, where in Canada? I really only know the east coast, but as you can see have fallen in love with the west coast now too! (It really is quite like the east coast). :yes:

It's changed my mind completely about the "dark and forbidding" Pacific Ocean. I was an Atlantic snob. :D

20. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

I couldn't eat raw oysters, it's just the thought of it :lol: I'm glad you enjoyed them though. Sea food is always so much nicer when it comes straight from the quay to the restaurant :yes:

Have you had scallops :unsure: I know how much you like them and I just wondered if they were good as well.