1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Vancouver

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Tink, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

We could have ordered them at Joe Fortes but went with the oysters and halibut instead. Herself LOVES scallops so I was a bit surprised she chose Oysters Rockefeller, but you never know what you might be in the mood for.

The texture is what kept me from trying them, Wendy. Well, the texture I imagined, but that isn't the case at all. The texture of the oyster fresh from the shell is quite firm!

I always said that I was going to try raw oysters in Galway, but I gave in and tried them here instead. As Herself said, "Well, you are still in a foreign country." :D True!
  2. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

Fabulous photos Tink, thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

Vancouver is a city that I would love to visit someday. The closest I`ve been was when I was on a business trip to Edmonton several years ago and I managed to grab a few days in the Rockies in the Banff area. Truly magificent scenery, and I was told at the time that Vancouver was reminiscent of England in the Victorian times and so pretty.

Enjoy the rest of your trip and please keep us posted. :wave:
  3. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

Vancouver is near the top of my to visit list. It looks so fresh and clean. Hopefully i'll be able to go soon and we can rent a sea plane :thumbsup:
  4. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

What a wonderful trip! Thank you for the pictures.

I have to say I'm shocked you are posting photos...not your normal m.o. :D.
  5. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Vancouver looks absolutely gorgeous. I drool over what you have eaten so far, the lunch, the oysters, etc. I assume you are headed out on an Alaskan cruise?

Thanks for sharing these beautiful pictures.
  6. Sam

Sam Imagineer

Thank you for the photos. Vancouver looks amazing, what a beautiful city.

Loving the oysters too.
  7. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

Le sigh, Le sigh...

That is all :)

Looks like you're having the MOST amazing time already!!
  8. Tinkfan

Tinkfan Earning my ears

:hug2:Thanks Sis for sharing. it truly is an amazing city. Did you get to see more of the Olympic site? You are much braver than me for eating those oysters!!!! Love to read of your travels
  9. Deb

Deb Serious Forum Regular

Love the photos! Thanks for posting them. The seafood sounds delicious! Hope you're loving the next bit of your trip :yes:
  10. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Better known as "That Guy"

Great great photos Tink. We loved Vancouver too. Great port to start your Alaskan cruise. Northbound is better than Southbound in my opinion. You work your way up the waterway and each day gets more spectacular finishing with the glacier visits. If you think Vancouver has a lot of seaplanes....wait till you hit Ketchikan...!!
  11. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

How can it be that we've returned already? :unsure:

We did have a wonderful time. :yes: Alaska is incredible. Without "starting something" or giving offense to anyone, Texas can go pound salt for being "the biggest" or having "the biggest" everything! :eek: Alaska is truly majestic and we've only seen the lower southern portion!

Ketchikan did have the market cornered on sea planes, eh? :mental: Little "port" after little "port!" We ordered fresh seafood in Ketchikan from a Navy SEAL. :D (Well, former SEAL) and some in Juneau. We had the most delicious and wonderful King Crab in Juneau, too. Skagway saw us having more halibut, and more crab and oysters! We can't get enough. Although I will say no oyster yet compares to the Kammamotos.

We've tons of photos, and it will be awhile before I can sort through them. I'll post a few so you can get a feel for the beauty that is Alaska.

We did have a few iffy spots and most likely won't (never say never, eh) cruise with HAL again. Not too pleased with Olivia this time either, but meh we made our own good time.

The weather was beyond beautiful. Sunny and warm! (Well, for Alaska warm). The fiord was frozen over once we got about 1/4 of the way to the glacier so we had to turn around. We did see the Sumdum (yep, that's what it's called) glacier though, so not all was lost. Whales, and porpoises, and orcas, and seals, and eagles, and this really cool looking blue and black woodpecker type bird...

Cannot believe we have to go to work tomorrow. Unfortunately, we are still on Alaska time (four hours behind our east coast time) so expect to be pretty miserable tomorrow.

Thank you all for reading this far!
  12. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

But, but, but...I want to know moooooooore !!

Can't wait to see the photos. You must be exhausted though, so feel free to take a ten minute nap before you get started ;-)
  13. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Better known as "That Guy"

So glad you had a great time. Alaska is in a word stunning. I guess I forgot it was an Olivia cruise. I would expect a prominant cruise like to have a lot of events in place for a themed cruise. How was the food? I have heard that HAL has some of the best.

We did a Carnival cruise to AK. Food was ok...nothing to write home (or in the forum) about.:tongue: We did get a captain on his "last cruise" before retiring to some South Pacific island with his new bride. He was about 55 - 60 I would suppose. Because it was his last cruise we got freakishly close to the College (Harvard) Glaciers. Lots of calving to the point where the waves rocked our boat. Well long story short, on another Carnival cruise to Souther Caribbean, that same Italian captain had un retired..:tongue: Apparently the marriage didn't take.
  14. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

Thanks for that mini trip report Tink....can`t wait to see the photos. :wiggle:
  15. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Really looking forward to pictures Tink. I would LOVE to do Alaska sometime.