1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Vermont!

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Beccaberry, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

Cast of Characters:

[​IMG]

Jon - soulmate, confidant, and best friend...likes good food, good wine and me...what more could I want? :D

[​IMG]

Me - Rebecca, Anne, Becca...whatever...I know who I am :wink:

About an hour and a half into the ride, just outside of Massachusetts, Jon starts staring at me and grinning. I ignore him for a bit as, apparently, this is a new little game we play. It seems as though this man does not have a single, solitary word to say to me until I pick up my library book. Suddenly I become the most interesting person in the entire universe and he wants to play twenty questions. Usually I multitask, chatting and reading at the same time, but this morning I’m feeling coy, so I pretend not to notice him.

After about five minutes, he clear his throat.

I look up from book. “Yes, dear?”

Big grin.

“Am I ignoring you sweetheart?”

Big silly grin.

“Do you want me to entertain you while you drive.”

Starts laughing and looks in the back seat.

I follow his gaze and then look back at him coyly, “I’m pretty sure *that’s* not going to happen, love. We’re on our way to Vermont.”

More laughter. Looks in the back seat again.

Once again I follow his gaze, “I don’t see anything, hon.”

More laughter.

Now I'm just bored. Scowl.

He clears his throat. “Um. Remember when you asked me if I wanted you to put my clothes in the suitcase?”

“Yes. You said no you wanted to hang them in the back seat.” Big scowl.

“Can I change my answer?”

He’s forgotten his clothes. Still there, on the doorknob, pressed and neatly hanging.

Lovely.

Random Road Shots:

I take these because it drives Jon bonkers...and as he's gone and forgotten his clothes, I figure he deserves it. I love to lean as far out of the car as I can and snap pictures from the roof of the car...I sometimes wonder if he's more worried about me or the camera...but then I come to my senses....it's the camera of course!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First stop, Healdville, Vermont and Crowley Cheese. Crowley Cheese is the oldest continually operated cheese producer in the United States, and the only remaining original Vermont Cheese. All of their cheese is made entirely by hand, in small quantities, and then aged to perfection…just the way it was made over 100 years ago. It’s been feautured on the TV show, Dirty Jobs, and is *fascinating* to watch in action. We stop by and chat with the cheesemaker, who recognizes us from our visit in February and offers to give us the “unoffical” tour. We were allowed into a couple of the back rooms where they were waxing the cheese and then upstairs to visit the “ice box” where the store the cheese while it ages. We sample (and sample) until we’ve had our fill and then purchase a few bars of cheese to take along on the road with us….if you’re ever there, I highly recomment the muffaletta cheese and the extra sharp cheddar.

[​IMG]

More to come....

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  2. Beccaberry

We travel down the road a bit more to Bridgewater Corners, Vermont and the home of Long Trail Brewery. We chat about our plans for the weekend and Jon wonders out loud where our favorite barkeep, John, we’ll send us for dinner that night. John tends bar at The Inn of the Six Mountains, and we’ve come to rely on him to give us the best advice on all things Vermont…especially Killington. He always knows where to eat, where to party and he’s always standing there in his pastal colored polo shirt, with its popped collar, and a smile and drink…a transplant to Vermont from Boston, he’s made the transition without a hitch. After a bit, we arrive at Long Trail.

[​IMG]

Jon is quite the fan of Long Trail’s brews and they have the best wings….they’re called Yaki Wings…and they are INDEED “finger lickin’ good”. On the way in, we notice there is an article about the wine fest in the weekly paper, so we take a copy to peruse while we’re sitting at the bar. Jon orders a sampler, six of their most popular beers served in a muffin tin, and I have white wine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We order some wings and play the trivia game at the bar. After a bit, Jon picks up the paper and starts flipping through the pages. He picks up his beer from the counter, takes a long drink, folds the paper back up and lays it carefully on the counter and then sighs. I look up from my trivia game, “What’s wrong?” Jon sighs again, and I know something is wrong. “You need to read the paper.” he says. I pick it up and flip through a few pages and immediately see what he’s referring to. On July 5th, 2008 John O’Donnell passed away from a massive heart attack suffered while on the golf course, doing what he loved best. At 58, he was still incredibly young. The paper goes on to say there will be a memorial service on the golf course on July 21, 2008. It was an odd feeling seeing his picture smiling back at us in the paper. For all it’s spacious mountains, Kilington is really just a small town at heart and its' people are fiercely loyal to one another; they are a family. While we weren’t an immediate part of that family, we came to know John well and like him greatly. We order another round and toast his memory, then strike back out on the road and head towards Killington and The Inn of the Six Mountains.

More to come...

3. Beccaberry

We reached The Inn of the Six Mountains around three and we’re able to check in immediately. Ed, the General Manager, had upgraded us to a balcony room with a lovely view, and we seek him out immediately to thank him. We met Ed a few years back after we spent a bit too long in the bar and ended up playing “adult” trivia with he and his girlfriend until 2 am. Apprently, it’s the first time the Inn has ever been ranked #1 in the nation on the NTN network. LOL. Since then we’ve stayed in touch and this trip we were happy to hear that he’s finally proposed to his lovely girlfriend Beth and that they will be getting married on NYE this year!

[​IMG]

After we checked in we headed over to the “LookOut” for some happy hour goodness. The wings at the LookOut are quite yummy and their signature drink, The Goombah Splash, is quite…refreshing. We wander back over to the Inn and notice that the bar there is open for business, with Brian, the Director of Sales, tending bar. We sit down and chat with him for a bit and we’re pleased to find him an INCREDIBLY lovely man (who makes a *mean* dirty martini). We linger in the bar; making small talk with the other patrons...One couple, Amy and Emily, are also attending the wine festival the next day…for the first time, so we have loads of fun chatting to them about what to expect. The other couple at the bar, Teresa and Bert , become fast friends of ours as well. Bert knew Brian from a previous trip, and so after the bar at the Inn closed, we all decided to head over to Moguls, across the street, to shoot pool and have a few drinks with bartender Brian. About two a.m. we decided to call it a night…

4. Beccaberry

The next morning we head up to the base of the mountain for the Wine Tasting at the Peak...before going up, we stop at the deli and buy a couple of sandwiches...then away we go!

Obligatory head shot on the Gondola, in case we crash and they need to identify me by my camera...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looking down...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then we stop. For twenty minutes we just sort of....dangle....there. Apparently a storm is rolling in and lightening is prohibiting the gondola from running. Um. I don't like to dangle. It is now that Jon shares perhaps the most romantic thought he's ever had with me...

"If the cable snaps and we crash towards Earth, I'll throw myself under you so that I take the brunt of the fall. Now, you'll probably still die, but at least you'll look good at the funeral."

Thank you dear. I shall cherish this moment forever.

Thank G*D we finally start moving again...before the cable snapped.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The storm rolling in....

[​IMG]

5. mumof2

mumof2 Serious Forum Regular

:lol: the perfect gentleman! :lol:

i really enjoyed reading that, thank you!

your pictures are fab ~ i wish i was there!

6. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

He forgot his clothes??!!!

:laugh:

7. kazzaqld

kazzaqld Addicted to Mickey

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Yeah Dawn, notice how that only got a mention in the first page - enquiring minds want to know!

8. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

Well yeah, I didn't like to say anything...

9. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

Vermont looks beautiful, just how I imagine it to look. :)

Love the romantic comment :lol:

10. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Sigh such a beautiful part of the world, wish I was there

GREAT Trip report :) :yes:

11. Grammiepo

Grammiepo Daisy Inspector

If that was a trip report. WoW, no follow up, here.

12. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

OK, I guess I have a minor problem with this stopping the cable car. Wouldn't it make more sense to not allow any more folks on but to run it to the top and get those that are on OFF. I certainly would NOT want to be hanging out there in a thunderstorm.

13. keith

yeah agreed!!!! :yes:

14. keith

jeez! if it starts falling you simply open the top or climb out the window, wait until it's close to the ground and just step off! I've seen it work loads of times for Whiley Coyote and Road Runner so it MUST be true! :gy:

15. Beccaberry

LOL!! There's more, there's more!! After the weekend with the girls, I started falling asleep at the computer and finally had to stop...

I'll post more later today....

Actually they did STOP letting people on, the problem was, apparently (from what my wee mind could gather) the gondola runs on electricity, which they could not use due to the lightening...so what we were waiting on was for them to start up the back up generator (which apparently runs on diesel) and get those of us ON there DOWN...that took about twenty minutes...so we dangled...it did allow for some nice make-out time though :wink:

16. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

When you told me you were stuck in a gondola, I had this vision of you being in a boat in the water......not dangling by a string in the sky! OMG I would have worried myself silly!!

17. SleepinCatz

SleepinCatz Fluffeh Disney Fan

LOL atleast Jon scored brownie points with his declaration on the gondola lol

18. Beccaberry

Yes. Yes he did.

Do you? Do you really? :laugh:

So I VERY calmly say, what do you want to do? His first answer is unacceptable, so I'll just skip that one...

We decided we’ll just buy something new for him to wear. Now girls, this is where I’m going to lose you, I just know it. Do you know that for 2 hours we went to FOUR different Kohl’s department stores so that he could find the EXACT same outfit he’d picked out from home. Now mind you, this was NOT a cocktail dress that he searched for for weeks; it was a pair of work casual shorts and a polo shirt! And we went to FOUR different stores until we found the SAME outfit. No color deviation, nothing. Exact. So now we have two of the EXACT same outfits at home. Does this sound redunt to anyone but me? But I indulge him, because he’s cute…and he really *does* look lovely in blue.

19. Dorothy

Dorothy Smiley Herder

Honey, your man looks cute in just about anything :D

20. Beccaberry

LOL. I swear I can see him blushing from here. He'll print that out and tack it to the refrigerator now, you know that don't you?