1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Victoria & Albert

Discussion in 'General' started by Deafjeff, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Serious Forum Regular

Hi,

Just wondering if the above restaurant is any good?

If you had a choice between the above or Brown Derby which one would you go to?

Jeff

2. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

oh gosh Jeff, they're nowhere near in the same category.

V&A is a very elegant, several course menu and your table has its own servers and wine waiter. It's about $125 each not including tax/tip and it'll take you a good few hours to work through.

Brown Derby is pretty standard park fare albeit the best quality restaurant at hollywood studios. It's "OK", bit expensive for what you get, but the best bet at the studios for sure.

3. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Serious Forum Regular

Thanks!

We just realised that V&A is not included in the dining plan so will give it a miss this time round.

4. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

No, Victoria and Albert's will not be in the dining plan. It's the one restaurant where the dress code is enforced, men have to wear a jacket and tie.

The menu changes with the availability of luxury items, so you don't really know what your option will be before you get there. They also have a chef's table option which is more costly than the main dining room.

It is Disney's premiere restaurant and really does have no comparison on property.

We've never been because we simply don't have that much faith in Disney dining! :sorry: We've had incredible meals at other restaurants and are not afraid to pay a premium price for excellence but just don't trust the whole Disney as gourmet chef, thing.

We're impossible. I know. :(

5. keith

we'd agreed not to go back this time since we did a wonderful but even more expensive christmas day V&A meal, but just talking about it here makes me want to book for May :unsure:

Tink, you really must try it one day because I'd love to hear your opinion on it. For me, the service has always been a bit cliche, never quite reaching that "just right" level of attentiveness without bothersome. They're doing better at not acting their Disney roles these days though which is a distinct improvement! The food however has always been just simply superb and nothing short of that. I say all this as the most fussy eater in the world!

6. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

We've never been, I was thinking about it for next year, but I will be looking at other restaurants as well recommended by our Tink.

7. Tink

I seem to have some sort of block when it comes to V & A's. No one enjoys a haute cuisine meal more than we. For some reason, I just don't see Disney delivering on that.

But one day, curiosity will get the better of me and we'll go. I think if I were to actually plan to go for something special, I'd try for the Chef's table...

I'm just nervous about running into selections of things that we'd never eat, like sweetbreads or other organ meat. Makes me queasy just to think of it.

To date, Josiah Citron is our ultimate chef for the most incredible meal ever... and counting. :D

8. keith

Is there somewhere else in Orlando of that kind of quality we should be trying Tink?

9. Wendy

You've got Keith's attention now Tink :lol:

10. Tink

Norman's, The Venetian (Room), some say Le Coq au Vin... http://www.lecoqauvinrestaurant.com/pdfs/dinner.pdf

Josiah is in Santa Monica, CA just so I don't confuse the issue about Orlando.

Fine dining is a challenge in Orlando, as with many tourist areas. Too much focus on vacuuming out pockets and not enough focus on the return customer.

11. Wendy

Is this somewhere we could go :unsure:

12. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Tink, Donna is a relatively picky eater. No game, seafood of any sort, no veal etc. Chef Hunnel and his staff will work with you to ensure you have a wonderful experience.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

13. Tink

Oh, I know John. :yes:

Wendy, they are very lovely places, and quite pricey. You and Chris may like to do one for a special celebration! (Anniversary, that sort of thing).

14. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

Tink I think you just hit the nail on the head as to why I've never been able to commit! After the disappointment of the California Grill i didn't want to pay that much to be disapointed. It's not about the cost it's about disappointment really. Now I know a superb place in the Isle of Skye that I'd pay a lot more for LOL

15. keith

My most often used phrase these days seems to be "can be variable" but I'd truly say that V&A food wise has always been nothing short of superb.

As I say, I've found the service a little cutesy at times, although it's much better now.

It's nothing like the california grill, much as I like CG, it's another level altogether :yes:

16. keith

17. BUTTERHEAD1

BUTTERHEAD1 Addicted to Mickey

V&A is one of the few things that I have always wanted to experience but never have. My wife is not an adventurous diner and won't eat anything outside of her comfort zone which is Steak and Chicken. We have been married almost 18 years and this year I was able to get her to eat a shrimp. I would hate to spend 400 dollars to watch her not eat.

18. keith

All I can say is that before I went I had exactly the same fear.

I'm very unadventurous in food sadly. I don't eat vegetables at all, never have (not proud of it, just the way it is ) I won't do squidgy things like oysters etc.

Despite all that, I was delighted the first time I went there. They worked with me, very low key and nicely, to slightly tune what was offered on each course to be something I'd like.

Now, that first time therefore, there was a lot more chicken/steak, sauce on the side than there would normally be but that's fine.

Over the subsequent trips, although I've still swapped things around, I've come to understand the pleasure in experiencing the combination of subtle tastes as planned by a great chef. Now, I still often swap out a fish course for another of the meat course options (so I end up with two meat course options and no fish), but I now do try more of the sauces as they intended and I worry less about the bits that come with the courses if that makes sense, I'll try them now.

I wouldn't want to encourage anyone to spend loads of money if they really don't like the look of it and last time I posted photos, it prompted absolute horror at the portion sizes from some folks :lol: but I do think it's a shame not to try it because if you give them the chance, they really do try extremely hard to make sure the experience is enjoyed even by fussy eaters like me.

19. Deb

Deb Serious Forum Regular

Despite this upcoming trip now being on a budget. we are keeping our reservation at V&A. It is going to be my birthday present and meal as neither of us wanted to cancel. I have a few fussy food things - I am allergic to chilli in any form, don't eat fish (though eat shellfish) or offal, don't like many vegetables, but this is never an issue. The service is incredible, yet totally unstuffy, and we ask for the same servers each time. Jack and Sherry are a married couple, and always have a good old chat with us as well as simply doing waitery-type things. They really do know their food and wine too, not just what they need to know for their work. As for the portion sizes being small? Well, if they were any larger then we couldn't eat all of the many courses! And that would be a bad thing :yes: We still seem to come away with some sort of doggy bag from there, even if it is the chocolates from the coffee service.

Last time we were there the lady harpist, who is amazing, was playing a selection of songs by people like Nirvana, The Killers and the Red Hot Chilli Peppers :D Sherry said they loved her as she played cool stuff, but the diners who simply loved the sound of the beautiful background music didn;t even notice!