1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Victoria & Alberts at the Grand Floridian

Discussion in 'Restaurants, Dining, Dining Plans' started by pigletpete, Jun 18, 2010.

1. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

9 courses?! :thud:

2. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

Don`t worry Josh.
    There are a lot of courses but the portions are not huge. Nevertheless you do come out well fed [and watered in my case:lol:].

3. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

truly superb I absolutely love it :yes:

In fact this reminds me to email them and book for December

4. Deb

Deb Serious Forum Regular

We went in January for the first time. Is it worth the money? In a word, yes. :yes:

We didn't want to do the chef's table as we wanted to be alone, and we figured the food would be adequate in the usual restaurant anyway. Now, well, we would always factor this meal into our WDW holiday. We were put into the private room that Keith talked about, right in front of the fire, and didn't mind in the slightest, it was lovely. Though we didn't have over-excited engagement couples with us so that may have helped :unsure: We like that the servers aren't Victoria and Alberts any more, but are themselves, and our couple were a lovely and professional married couple.

It's an experience we won't forget.

5. keith

6. Tinkerbell

Tinkerbell Imagineer

I would love to do this, but DH doesn't want to :( and think I would look rather silly going solo!

7. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

Maybe you and my DH can go together in December :lol: I would love to go and treat DH as he would love it - however, I'm far too much of a picky eater. It's easier to list the foods I like rather than dislike. Plus - we're not alcohol drinkers.

8. keith

I know you won't REALLY believe me issy but however picky you think you are, I'm worse.

DW goes to v&a and enjoys whatever is on the menu, it's a wonderful adventure.

I go there and wonder if there'll be three things I actually fancy eating on the entire menu :lol:

They work with you to ensure that you get something you enjoy. Once I didn't like any of the fish mentioned. Well there was fish on three courses. They changed them all for me.

Alcohol? no problem. We've been there and not fancied any alcohol and thats fine too. It's not as if you're paying for any alcohol in the cost so you're not missing out by not having any

9. josh.p.

It does sound really nice, but Im really not into places that are of a higher standard that have a dress code etc, I like a nice family meal where evreryone is comfortable and relaxed. If Niamh wouldnt be welcome in a place then I'd not want to go anyway :shrug:

I do understand why people would enjoy the experience and the food sounds amazing, but perhaps not for me :shrug:

10. keith

oh we're plenty comfortable and relaxed I promise you ;-)

Give it a few years and the right companion and I'm sure you'll feel like giving v&a a try ;-)

11. josh.p.

:lol: it probably is something that comes with experience, If I wear a suit even now I feel like that toddler off the andrex advert :rotfl: I think it's because I look really young.

12. keith

tastes change that's for sure :)

I would say that one mistake often made, and I hear it time and time again, is for people to assume that v&a is stuffy.

Now I've been in my fair share of stuffy restaurants round the world, even enjoyed them from time to time :D but v&a is NOT stuffy. You can have a relaxed meal there :yes:

13. Deb

You're right Keith, we found it refreshingly relaxed and informal!!! I like the elegance and formailty of the "hardware" bit of it, like the courses and the cut;ery etc. as that is part of the fun, but the servers and the conversation with them is just so down to earth. It was more like eating in the living room of a very good stylish friend!!!

14. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Diane, Donna and I have eaten at V&A several times. She doesn't do: fish, of any sort, game; veal and certain veggies. She has ALWAYS had a wonderful meal prepared for her.

15. Isafari

Thanks keith & John - but do they only change/play with the menu for you if you're at the chefs table. I really am fussy and don't like fish and most meats, sauces, lots of veg, rice...........

16. keith

Nope not at all! They'll come and talk to you about the menu and if you tell them what you do and don't like they'll work out a menu to suit :yes:

17. Deb

Diane, I didn't eat at the Chef's table, and when I booked they asked us to be precise about our likes and dislikes. Mr Deb is fine with most things, but I don't eat fish (but I do eat shellfish), nor many veggies, and I am allergic to chillies which is awkward as they seem to be in everything nowadays. Then when we got there our servers talked us through the whole menu and checked whether there was one thing in every course I could eat, and if not they asked the chef to amend it. My menu was already a little different to Mr Deb's, and we worked from there. And they did it so I didn't feel like a total loser! Really, they bend over backwards to work it out for you :yes:

18. Isafari

Thanks guys - will definately give it some thought then :thumbsup:

19. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Absolutely agree with Deb 100%. The only time we ever had a problem, and it really wasn't a problem was when I received a clear consomme and Donna received Butternut Squash Soup. I loved the taste of the consomme but since she doesn't do squash of any type we just swapped. :tongue:

20. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

It's a difficult one Diane, I've always wanted to go but Chris is just too fussy. I think Terry and John can back me up on that one - remember Thornbury Castle :lol: :lol:

It's interesting to know that they will change the menu though - I might have to try and talk him into it at some point.