1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

villa deposits

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by luvthemansion, Apr 5, 2010.

1. luvthemansion

luvthemansion Imagineer

Im looking around at villas which we havent really done before :unsure:

The deposit thing has me worried, it's an extra cost I hadnt thought about and I worry about getting it all back afterwards :thumbsdown:

I can see it from an owners point of view but from my point of view its like they wont trust me with their place but I have to trust them with quite a lot of money :sorry:

Is the money held in some kind of escrow account or do you have to hope that the owner doesnt spend it all at marks and spencer whilst youre away ::point:

2. arkvilla

arkvilla Addicted to Mickey

I keep it to one side and don't touch it.

We've never had to keep a security deposit in 4 years of renting.

We did once have guests pull the towel rail off the bathroom wall but as it was an accident and as a gesture of goodwill we split the cost with them and it was £60 so we paid £30 each.

From our point of view we rent our home and it's a matter of trust on both sides and when you think about it our home is worth in excess of $200k so we have alot more to lose

Sandra

3. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

Sandra is spot on there. :thumbsup:
    We only allow close friends and family stay at our villa so we never ask for a deposit but if we opened it up to the general public then we definately would bearing in mind the horror stories we have been told by our property managers about how some of their villas get trashed.
    Most [if not all] of the villa owners are reputable folks and will gladly return your deposit if all is well.
    If I were you I would give the villa the "once over" when you arrive and report any losses/breakages/damage you find to make sure that you won`t be held responsible.

4. malcolm

malcolm Villa Owner

As said above there is a trust factor that owners are asking about £300 from you and you are in effect holding over £200.000 of there money same as when you hire a car and hand over your credit card details.
    We have had a member on here stay at our villa and a breakage occured and he contacted us to find out where the item came from so he could replace it, the item was not expensive and we accepted the guests honesty and courtesy in telling us and advised them not to worry and carry on enjoying there holiday, we did not seek renumeration from them.
    Sadly accidents do happen and as in most any situation talking can resolve most situations.
    Talk to the owner and ask what the deposit is and once you vacate how long till they return the deposit, if you get good comunication from the villa owner then it should put your mind at rest.

Best wishes

5. luvthemansion

luvthemansion Imagineer

:yes: thanks everyone :hug2:

It may end up making us have to choose a hotel in the area instead :unsure: we wont need to find another £300-500 then. thats why the car hire thing is different, yes they'd swipe our card if anything was damaged but we dont have to find the money up front if you know what I mean :sorry:

6. Tiggers Golf

Tiggers Golf Forum Sponsor

I usually hold a uk cheque and luckily I have never had to cash one But would never do it without consultation as you can never be sure it's not the cleaners like mine who this week forgot to do the alarm so I have a fine coming as because of her I have had a warning already,fortuately the manco are making her pay it
    Regards
    Barbara

7. luvthemansion

luvthemansion Imagineer

Oh! that's a much better idea Barbara! :yes: I dont have a problem with paying for anything accidently damaged of course I dont :unsure: its just that if I have to give hundreds of pounds up front well thats holiday spends down the drain.

A cheque cashed only if theres a problem is a much better plan all round :hug2:

8. arkvilla

The other option which I often do, is to invoice for the security deposit through Paypal a couple of weeks before the holiday and then the guest can pay by credit card.

Most cc companies wait until the following month to invoice so the guest doesn't actually pay as the sd is refunded within the month so it all works out well

Sandra

9. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

in 4 trips ive never had to pay a villa deposit

10. arkvilla

That's very unusual Mick - did you know the owners?

The only people I don't take one from is close friends and family

Not a single villa owner I know would rent their villa to strangers without a security deopsit - it's too risky

Sandra

11. ukwdwnut

3 of them i did, but one in 2002 was a complete package and was never charged either. so i guess im lucky. if anything happened id just report it and replace anything that was broken anyway, i treat every villa ive stayed in as if it was my own anyway. just before we leave we clean and hoover the whole place so it looks like it was when weve got there :D

12. arkvilla

:point: You can stay in mine anytime - you'd save me the $90 exit clean my MC charge me

Like I said in my earlier post, we have been very lucky with all our guests, I always speak to them and help with planning so we build up a nice relationship - it makes it better for both parties.

Sandra

13. ukwdwnut

but but didnt you want a charge from me, id leave yours a tip......just kiddin sandra :wink: :lol:

14. Tiggers Golf

Tiggers Golf Forum Sponsor

We pay a cleaner to do that, your on holiday but you can go to mine anytime you like your the ideal guest
    Barbara

15. ukwdwnut

lol we just like to leave somewhere as we found it barbara, doesnt take long to do either

16. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I must admit we're the same wherever we stay. I couldn't bear the thought of someone, whether we know them or not, thinking look how they left the room/house/villa whatever.

17. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

I always leave things hygienic and tidy but wouldn't do a big clean as I've paid for it in the price, maybe it's because I'm used to having a cleaner at home I can I relax more about it.

18. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

We're paying a £250 security deposit on our booking. And we fully appreciate that it is someone's home we are staying in and will treat it as such. May even whizz round with the noo noo before we leave. :D

And I've kind of built up a friendship with the villa owner since we booked with them so I'd really not like them to have a negative attitude about how we left their property.

I think it's pretty much a standard thing with property rental everywhere. When I rented as a student I had to pay a month's rent as security deposit and that was returned after satisfactory inspection by the letting agent after I'd moved out.

19. ukwdwnut

exactly, and if you wanted to go back theres no qualms with the owner not letting you rebook :)

20. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Serious Forum Regular

I'm very conscious it's someone's house, regardless of whether they live there full time or not. I just couldn't trash it or cause a big damage and say nothing :( We're gentle with our own home so I think habits are just there.

My SIL is very heavy handed and we cringe when she comes to stay at my DF's house, she bangs mugs down hard on the coffee table and she bangs glasses down hard, so much so she quite often breaks them :( and when she cooks it's always full on and up high :( and when she hoovers I just have to leave lol.

Yee gads, imagine her in Florida in a villa with all those glass coffee tables and dining tables :(