1. foreverducky

foreverducky New Member

I recently asked Johnie, when did Disney get so expensive?!?!?!

I'm looking to do a trip in October, but with the prices of the hotels I'm seriously thinking about a villa. I can't believe that I even typed that statement. I never thought I would utter such words, but with the prices of disney hotel rooms I have. :sigh:

That being said, if I'm going the villa route, then I want a house that is close to Disney. I have looked at some of the condos, but I'd rather have more space (even with only 2 people). I believe we'll be driving down, so no worries about luggage weights.

What is the best place way to find one? Not only that, but one that is what it says it is. Any recommendations or suggestions of places you all have stayed at?

2. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou Makuakane Administrator

I never thought I'd see you going down the villa route, but I fully understand what you mean, the cost of the rooms are silly.

Well, the closest area to Disney is the Formosa Gardens area or the Windsor Hills area, sadly neither of these areas are cheap :(

We have stayed in Emerald Isle which is in the Formosa Gardens area just a little bit to the right. It is a gated community and they have condos, townhouses and houses.

If you want a less expensive villa then you will have to start looking further out towards Davenport, Champions Gate area. Chris and I stay in Davenport and it is about a 25 minute drive to MK, less to the others with AK being the closest.

What dates are you thinking about in October?

Have you thought about one of the hotels in the DTD area, I don't know if they are less expensive, I know Robert has stayed down there and I think Debs has as well.

You could try looking on Tripadvisor to see what they suggest, there will be reviews on there. The companies I have used in the past are all based in the UK.

I have also found some by searching for specific areas and then making sure I check reviews, as well as searching for the same house over and over to see if there are any bad reports.

3. Wendy

4. Tink

Tink Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Several of our members stay in villas. :yes: I'm sure you can get some help and suggestions from them, too.

5. Tony G

Tony G Active Member

Villa Owner
    Home Page:
    Hello :homer:

6. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

Dazzling everyone with my sheer awesomness :D
    Oh yes! Our Tony has a villa!

7. foreverducky

foreverducky New Member

I will check out the sites recommended. I think recommended places are the way to go.

We're hoping for late October, but unfortunately that may change with a possible work transfer. However, as of right now, we're going with the late October. I will need to check on refund/changing date policies. It's not that we're not going, but we may be forced by work to change the when.

If I'm going to be off the property, I'd rather go with a villa versus a DTD hotel. If I'm off property then I want to go with off and really enjoy the perks of a villa. Does that make sense?! o_O

8. Tink

It most definitely makes sense! If you aren't on property, then fully enjoy the many perks of staying in a villa! :D (Billie, meet Tony. He's a sweet guy and you may want to speak with him about a villa)! :D

9. robertcraig

robertcraig Well-Known Member

retired
    Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    I have stayed at a villa and it is great to have all the facilities the only drawback is you have to drive to the parks . An alternative is you can stay off site .I have stayed at hotels in the Downtown area.you are within walking distance of Downtown Disney and the hotels have free buses to the parks.I stayed at the Holiday Inn and The Hilton

10. Wendy

Once you have stayed in a villa I don't think there is any going back.

We will just miss you as we leave on the 17th October :(. I would like to have met you and then man that has won your heart.

Tony has a beautiful villa and it is in the ideal place in the Formosa Gardens area. It's got it's own cinema room as well :D. It's huge!

11. robertcraig

robertcraig Well-Known Member

retired
    Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    I agree Wendy once you stay at a villa you are hooked

12. Esmeralda

Just remember... I saw Tony first.... (Guards him jealously).

13. Tony G

Tony G Active Member

Villa Owner
    Home Page:
    Nice to be popular! Thanks for all the recommendations :)

I certainly agree that once you book a villa, it's impossible to go back to a hotel... I liked it so much, I decided to buy one!

I'd always had it in the back of my mind that someday I'd like to own one but it was while booking a villa that the idea really gained some traction. I found myself asking various questions of the villa owner and every time they responded, I kept thinking, 'Hmm... I should be on the other side of this conversation'. The idea percolated in the vast expanse of nothingness I call a brain for a while and I found myself picking communities, must-have features etc. Finally (as you may have read on another thread), I chickened-out of a new car purchase and used the money to put a deposit down on my villa... I fell in love with it the first time I saw it and it was the only one that satisfied my criteria.

I've not formally introduced my villa to WD Secrets... Keith and I were in the middle of hatching a cunning plot to do that ;).

If there are any logistical questions you may have about either my villa specifically, or booking villas in general, feel free to ask... I'll try to stay impartial... kinda... sorta... maybe. ;)

14. Dawn

Dawn New Member

We've stayed in Davenport twice at the Town Center complex and found its location to be perfect. Just a small complex so nice and peaceful but a short 10 minute drive to the restaurants on 192 and a little bit further to the parks. Would always look to stay in that complex again.

15. Esmeralda

Oh do tell that to Mr Whiney here, since I booked it he's moaned.. its ten fricken minutes to get to the parks. Sheeeesh and breathe.....

16. Tony G

Tony G Active Member

Villa Owner
    Home Page:
    Davenport? 10mins to the parks?

...Only if you have a helicopter on the roof. :D

17. Tink

Depends upon where you are in Davenport. Davenport as an address covers a wide area. Herself's mother lives in Davenport and it definitely is no more than ten minutes to get to the parks. AK might even be less. If you live or are staying further south in Davenport, it would definitely take longer.

18. Dawn

Dawn New Member

Yep. 10 minutes. We timed it one day. And that included waiting for the complex gates to open - they were slow.

19. Wendy

If you go up Old Lake Wilson Road and take the Sherberth shortcut you can be at Animal Kingdom in 10 minutes from where we stay, which is more or less the same area as Dawn.

20. Slowhand

Slowhand Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Retired
    Yep, now that they have improved Old Lake Wilson Road, I always work on a journey time to WDW of 10/15 minutes from Davenport....less if you are going to AK. :yes: