1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Villa

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by josh.p., Jul 8, 2008.

1. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

Hi All,

Is it cheaper to book a villa straight from the owners website or similar or to book a villa/car/flight deal through a travel agent?

Also, can anyone reccomend a nice villa not too far away from everything?

Josh
  2. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Definitely cheaper to book direct Josh. The travel companies take a percentage from the owners which makes their prices higher.

The closer you are to Disney the higher the price is. You also have to decide what you want and how many bedrooms. The price is also more during peak times, like Easter, Christmas, Thanksgiving and some are for UK school holidays as well.
  3. josh.p.

well, there are 4 of us, so 3 bedroomed, definatley with a pool too. Communal or not, we're not fussed.
  4. mainecoon lover

mainecoon lover Addicted to Mickey

We booked direct with the villa owner. I like to have our own pool, its great to be able to swim in the morning before you have brekkie.
    We stayed near Championsgate, great location. I shall be trying to get a disabled villa near there for next year.
  5. josh.p.

just out of interest, how was staying in a 'non-disabled' villa for a disabled person? I'm just interested to know as It's not very nice to think that they aren't *all* suitable for disabled people, shame :(
  6. mainecoon lover

It was ok as Beth was still quite light so i could lift her although the bath proved awkward. I had the shower curtain pole hit me on the head one morning. The doors were not a problem.
    Next year will be very diffrent as Beth is quite heavy now. We will need a pool hoist to get her in and out and also a walk in shower. I will need to be able to get to shower her and a bath would be useless. We could not hoist her in one as the bath pannel would be in the way.
    We will need to hire a portable hoist and shower chair as well.
  7. josh.p.

Shame that they aren't equipped to hire one themselves. I can understand them not wanting to go to the extra cost for something trivial, but this is *essential* :(
    How much does it cost you? to rent it?
  8. Andy _B

Andy _B Earning my ears

But it is only 'essential' for a small proportion of the visitors. It is unrealistic to hope that all properties would be totally suitable or adapted, as long as there are enough for all that need them.
  9. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I think, but am not positive, that all new construction (and that may include any existing buildings for rent to the public) need to have at least accessible doorways.
  10. mainecoon lover

Yes you are right Tink, its the same here in the UK.

Josh we pay around the same as if we hired any villa.
  11. malcolm

malcolm Villa Owner

Hi... It is cheeper to book direct with an owner than a travel agent as example if you book with a travel agent and pay £1000 then the TA will take upto 15% then they will contact WelcomeUSA(who have managment companies on there books to supply villas) to get your villa and they will take upto 10% and intern WelcomeUSA will contact a managment company to supply the villa and the mc will take there 10-15% and as you can imagine this leaves not much to the owner and so if owner doesnt get much the villa will suffer from lack of investment and modernisation eventualy.
    I dont advertise with the likes of Virgin, FC,TC or James villas as they pay peanuts and expect you to let them have your villa for below your own running costs.
    Booking direct with the owner should give you sound peace of mind in respect that you know where you are staying and what you are getting plus all the information you want on where to get things you may need and what is near your villa and where to go to get certain things you may want over there and importantly answers to any question no matter how stupid it may sound to the owner he or she will answer it for you.
    I would want any guest staing in my villa to go out there with total peace of mind that they are not going there with any concern that i could have helped them with.
  12. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

i booked direct and the owner did me a good deal, but im not sure i can trust him "malc" tho ;) :tongue0011-1:
  13. malcolm

malcolm Villa Owner

.......i am shocked :shocked025:

Plus from an owners point of view you can always give the wrong address if it turns out to be a "dodgy" guest.......

Another good tip i didnt mention is to think about booking with an owner who advertises on a forum based site as often you can ask if anyone has stayed in the particular home you are thinking of and see what there opinion is as dont forget they have nothing to loose by telling you about the villa but the owner has a lot to loose if they misrepresent there home in any way.