1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Villas and hurricanes

Discussion in 'General' started by Dawn, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

Here's one for you that I hadn't thought of until Tink's Anna thread.

If you're staying in a villa and a hurricane is looming what's the plan? The times we've been under warning before we've been staying in hotels who had very good plans in place and took good care of us.

Would we need to hunker somewhere? :unsure:
  2. mumof2

mumof2 Serious Forum Regular

that's a very good question and one i wondered about when we stayed at the villa....luckily never had to find out though
  3. Dawn

I need to know now because I'll be there during the season and given my track record on this sort of thing.... :rotfl:
  4. sunsetlakes

sunsetlakes Earning my ears

We suppy a "hurricane box" which basically is some supplies like bottled water, wind-up radio/torch etc - it has so far (touch wood) never been used!! Last year when Mike on this forum was staying at our villa there was a storm warning and he had to bring in some of the outdoor furniture (Sorry Mike). The main advice is that if you think the hurricane is likely to be very close, to go to a middle room (we suggest our downstairs laundry & bathroom as being the best place as there are no windows). I think some villa owners advise guests to drop the pool furniture into the pool if they can't bring it inside as this also stops it from being blown around. Our Management Company stay in very close contact throughout any danger periods to help and advise :wave:
  5. Dawn

So we wouldn't have to found the nearest shelter or anything? :unsure:
  6. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

Our management company have detailed instructions of what course of action to take enclosed in a manual which is left in the villa.
    Any half decent management company would ensure that their guests are safe.
  7. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

It depends upon where you are staying, Dawn and where the hurricane is due to make landfall.

If there is a mandatory evacuation ordered, then you would have to head for the nearest shelter. I've never heard of a mandatory in central Florida for people who are in site built homes, only manufactured homes. Coastal people are under mandatory evacuation quite often.

You'll want water. The general plan is a gallon per person per day, but I am here to tell you it will take much more than that! :eek: You'd want shelf stable food. Packets of tuna, milk, those sorts of things.

I'd not worry overmuch (well, then again you do have that history...) but do keep an eye on the weather when here. If there is real threat of a 'cane headed for you, there will be plenty of warning and you can get in some supplies.

Yes, you'll want a battery powered flashlight, and to keep the car fully topped with gas.

If you lose power (very likely) you will need something to follow public service announcements with. A small battery powered radio, usually...

Again, I'd not go to any expense if I were you, just stay alert to the weather conditions.

Besides. You know people in the area who would be able to rescue you, eh? :D :D :D