1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Villas - where to start looking

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by Suebeattie, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Suebeattie

Suebeattie Addicted to Mickey

Hi all, after only being back for a matter of days I'm already thinking about our next trip to see Mickey!! It won't be for a good few years yet but I want to start to get an idea of prices and what's available villa wise.
    I have no idea where to start though. I know there are a few villa owners on here so will check those out but where else do you look? Can anyone recommend any areas or villas?
  2. Tony G

Tony G Serious Forum Regular

Now that's a feeling I'm more than familiar with - arriving back from Florida and immediately beginning to plan the next trip!

There are a number of villa 'portal' websites out there for you to browse and get an idea of the amenities available, but I would approach it slightly differently: I'd look at what you want to do on your next trip and then find a location that suits you. Then, begin scouring the websites for villas in those areas and you'll have already narrowed down your search.

Personally, I'd recommend anything along Formosa Gardens Boulevard, as it's a great location to get you into the Disney parks really, really quickly - when I last stayed there, it was so easy, it felt like cheating... But I wouldn't listen to me on that count - I'm biased! ;)
  3. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Don't you have a little Villa announcement of your own Tony ;-)
    Tony G likes this.
  4. Tony G

Tony G Serious Forum Regular

Not until I have some decent pictures, Keith!

My hurried snaps just wouldn't do it justice.
  5. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

ok ;-)
  6. Suebeattie

Excellent thanks tony. Once you've got your pics for your villa I would love to have a look.

I think we will def be going to disney the most with a couple of days at universal and a day at discovery cove. We wasn't too impressed with sea world this time so will probably leave that for a while. The only other things we would do is a spot of shopping and I really want to get over to celebration and mount Dora.

Ideally I would want to base us close to disney as possible.

Are there any questions I should be asking the owners?
  7. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Tony is right, Formosa Gardens is a great place to stay, it's a gated community as well and it is very close to Disney. You are probably 10 minutes away from Animal Kingdom. You use the back road to get there and the other parks, the short cut is brilliant :D

IMHO if you want to be close to Disney, this is the place to stay :yes:
  8. Suebeattie

Fab thanks Wendy, I'll have a look :)
  9. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

that looks very close to WDW property, we used to think that Old Lake Wilson road area was close but this is right outside the door. How long does it take to get onto Disney property Tony?
  10. Wendy

It is very close Julie, it's the closest we have ever stayed, it took about 10 mins to get to Animal Kingdom and we were at MK within 20 minutes.

It's good when you are coming back as well, because you follow the signs for AKL and then turn left into Sherberth, it beats all the traffic on the I4 and 192.

We still use the shortcut sometimes when we are staying in Davenport.
    Britchick likes this.
  11. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I live in the general area of WDW, and I too will add my voice to the Formosa Gardens area being very nice. It does allow you to have those all important and seriously convenient alternate routes to WDW.

You are minutes from 192 west where there are any number of decent restaurants and huge shops like Target, and Publix. You'll have a short drive to a Walmart, but it too is not far (short jaunt on 192 west to 27 north). You are also quite close to the 429 which if you take it north will give you a VERY easy route to Fowlers Grove at Winter Garden Village. It's the shopping area that puts you in the locals world and takes you away from potentially gouging tourist prices. :D
  12. Suebeattie

Thanks for those tips tink. Will make a note of fowlers grove. That's one thing I've notice since we last was in Florida is how much prices have gone up, so goodness knows what it will be like when we next go.
  13. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Some of that is due to the greediness of preying on the tourists. That's why I recommend getting away from the heavy tourist areas to dine and shop as often as possible. It's usually a bit more of a drive, but nothing to really worry about as you'll be in traffic otherwise.

The chains are involved in it too. Walmart is cheaper the further you get from WDW as is Publix, etc. Also, some chain restaurants charge higher prices closer to WDW and as far as I'm concerned their service is always secondary to those restaurants that are further from the WDW area.
  14. Suebeattie

I couldn't believe how random pricing is as well. The small plush Mickey teddies were nearly $20 but pay an extra $5 and we got a Santa plate and mug for cookies and milk. It's strange because I remember those small teddies being less than $10 each. They obviously raised the prices on things that are more popular.
    I know what you mean with service, we had dinner at a Denny's on idrive and we were there for about 2hours in all. It was painfully slow and half the table was served and had finished eating before the rest was eating.
    A couple of places on the 192 were good though and couldn't fault their service.
  15. Wendy

We use the Target on the 192 where Tink is talking about and also there is a very nice Olive Garden and we have found the staff to be very friendly.

Prices have gone up since we were there last year and with the exchange rate it makes things more expensive as well.
  16. Suebeattie

Is that just over the road from town centre at orange lake?? That's where we were staying the second week. We had breakfast at the Cracker Barrel just down the road from there and it was delicious.
  17. Wendy

No, it's down the end of the 192 that is closest to H27

The map isn't very clear but I have named some of the places that I could fit on to give you an idea of just how close Formosa is.

Capture.JPG
  18. Suebeattie

Sorry Wendy I meant the target and Olive Garden you use. If it's where I'm thinking we were staying at the holiday inn at orange lake.
    Thanks for the map gives me a good idea were Formosa is :)
  19. Wendy

I've just looked at the map and yes it is the one you are talking about :)
  20. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

We've stayed twice now at The Reserve at Town Center which is off Old Lake Wilson Road. We love it. A tiny bit further out but we are still at AK in 10 minutes and just a few minutes from loads of restaurants.