1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Virgin Atlantic faces prospect of its first ever strike as it celebrates landmark anniversary

Discussion in 'Transportation & Travel' started by Wendy, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Virgin Atlantic could be hit by its first ever strike as flight crew, affecting British holidaymakers as they jet off over the summer.

The airline, which has just celebrated 25 years since its first transatlantic flight to Miami, is hopeful it can avoid a walkout by pilots over pay.

Members of the British Airline Pilots Association (Balpa), have been voting on whether to take industrial action against Sir Richard Branson's company in protest at a 4% pay offer. The union said Virgin Atlantic pilots have not had a pay rise since 2008 after agreeing to forgo an increase to help the company, with the expectation of a "fair" hike this year.

Balpa, which represents most of Virgin's 750 pilots, said it had decided to ballot its members because it had expected a bigger pay deal this year. Officials expect a yes vote, which will raise the prospect of strikes in the busy summer months.

Balpa's executive will meet later in the week to discuss the ballot result, and will have to give Virgin seven days notice of any walkouts.

A Virgin spokesman said: "We continue to have talks with Balpa. We have made an offer twice the national average for UK businesses and ahead of the majority of the airline industry. Pilots are an extremely valuable part of our workforce and we hope we can find a resolution."

2. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

urgh :(

Still 4% in this economy isn't a bad offer but of course you see their point if they've put off any rise for a few years.

I hope they avoid strikes though, that's not good for anyone :nono:

3. Wendy

:( it's not good news :sigh:

What with this and Singapore Airlines wanting to sell its 49% stake. VA's profits being hit by less passengers, the Air Passenger Duty and high oil prices, it's a case of keep everything crossed that they don't get eaten up by BA or other airline.

4. keith

Argh yes :( that would be truly awful

5. katycoco

katycoco Imagineer

I Work for a UK airline, we havent had a pay rise for 4 years but we are all just pleased to have our jobs,

Dont get me wrong if my royal airline offers us a rise i will be over the moon. more spendies for my holiday.

Kate

6. keith

yeah that's exactly it isn't it :/ I think that's how most people feel in the UK at the moment so it'll be kinda hard to sympathise with a strike :/

7. robertcraig

robertcraig Serious Forum Regular

Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    Nobody WINS in a strike

8. Wendy

:yes: I agree.

The union has announced that 97% of the pilots voted were favor of a strike, and that 94% of the membership voted.

:fingers: it won't come to it as they are bound to strike just as the schools break up for summer.

9. arkvilla

arkvilla Addicted to Mickey

We have guests going in on the 16th July and they have waited 3 years for this their first trip to Orlando and she is so worried about the strike - I feel so sorry for anyone travelling during that week

Fingers crossed it's sorted and no strike action is taken

Sandra