1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Virgin Atlantic - Seat selection

Discussion in 'Transportation & Travel' started by Oreo, May 30, 2014.

1. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

When I booked our trip I was under the impression we could select our seats around 6 months out.

I have tried to do this and have been told by Virgin that I can pre-select my seat at a cost of 25 pound per person per journey.

They also told me that this doesn't guarantee the seat and can be subject to change.

When did this change?

Is there another way around it or will I have to wait until 24 hours out to check in on line?

Our last trip we had booked extra leg room seats however these were not suitable for us as the width of these seats were reduced by around 4 inches which we had trouble with (but that's another story).

I have downloaded some kind of seat guide and that is telling me I can book on 25th June however doesn't state a cost.

I'd be interested to know how it works with Virgin now.

2. MystikPiglit

MystikPiglit Peace, Love and Mickey Mouse

Oreo likes this.
  3. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

It seems their staff are just as confused as me lol

4. MystikPiglit

MystikPiglit Peace, Love and Mickey Mouse

They probably are. :lol:

5. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

It changed last year or rather they tried. The system basically stopped working and so they implemented a 60day out policy. However, some people had got in before the new policy and had booked seats so they got it free AND early.

Basically right now, the policy as I see it going forward is, from June 25th their super duper new system will be online and you'll be able to book flights from 336days out including special seats like extra legroom. The charge is £25 each way for economy and I BELIEVE free for PE/UC.

That's how it WILL work but at the moment there are a mix of people who can't book until 60 days out anyway, people who cant book until june 25th, people who are booking economy free and people who are being told they'll have to wait and then pay 25quid each way.

To say Virgin have made a mess of this is to understate. Even with all this, they seem to change seat assignments more than any other airline I've used. On BA when they change one 747 to another 747 they seem to be able to keep the seat assignments , on virgin, they lose them all and stuff people wherever.

Oreo likes this.
  6. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

It does seem a mess. I hope they don't charge UC, we pay enough for the pleasure anyway without adding another £100 on.

7. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

Thanks for that it does clear it up.

So in short I have to pay 25 to pre book our seats. Do we know if that guarantees the seats as I am being told that it doesn't (which defeats the object).

I'm not too fussed where we sit as long as were together and we are not close to the toilets etc.

8. keith

£25 each way, each person and no it doesnt "guarantee" your seat. If the plane is changed for operational reasons, there's no guarantee you'll get the seat you booked although if you didn,t I'd be wanting the £25 back!!

9. Tony G

Tony G Serious Forum Regular

Too bloody right!

10. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

I have chatted to virgin on the online chat feature (didn't know it exisiting) this is their response:

"Hi Chris. Our seating policy did change in December and was updated on our website. As you booked in November last year you will not have to pay the fee, but seats will not be released until the 25th of June."

I then went on to ask if this was this flight or all flights:

"It is for all flights departing after the 24th of August."

So hopefully this will help others who booked there holiday pre December 2013.

keith likes this.
  11. keith

Thanks for that...

my experience booking PE seat was rubbish for May :( I tried to book on the day and found only a few seats in the middle available. I phoned and they said well that's what's left, tough, but 60% of the plane will become available 24hrs before the flight.

24hrs before, I did online checkin, no more seats just a message "there are no available seats to swap to". Went to downtown disney checkin who said the same.

Got on the plane and asked a few people when they booked their seats, and it seems some were able to book AGES before I was. I didn't ask EVERYONE but it's clear that the 60% released 24hrs before was just rubbish.

So hmmmm I'm not very trusting of them at the moment.

Octobers trip is upper class. It cost a fair bit and I'm going to be in trouble if DW has to sit a distance away because we can't book good seats.

Starting to wonder if Virgin is still the best to fly with

Oreo likes this.
  12. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

We were originally booked on a british airways flight however asked Disney to change that however I'm starting to think if this was the right thing to do.

I have looked on a certain other british disney forum and they are on top of every flight and what seats are avaialble where etc. It's kind of scary how much they know and how to use the system to their full advantage.

There is no hope for us regular passengers.

13. keith

yeah I know exactly the one you're talking about and they're quite territorial about certain rows and things aren't they? I'm sure the rest of us really aren't supposed to dare to get in their way :lol:

Although, if you want the level ABOVE that, go to vflyer. They look at that other british disney forum and laugh at their level of detail and "knowledge". If you don't know what sequence number your last boarding pass was and your frequent flyer membership numbers off by heart, then you best not post :lol: However, the information is a lot more accurate from there than it is on that other forum.

14. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

The vflyer looks like a great tool thanks.

On the other british forum they have a perticular row that they like to call there own.

I do find the forum odd to be honest as they are quite protective over it. Personally it has a lot of users but probably too many.

Anyway, I think I know from the vflyer which seats we fancy however not going to lose sleep if we don't get them.

15. keith

yeah, I like to think we were using that row a long time before it was adopted by them ;-) but hey ho

WAY too many :yes: the information is often wrong but they're always SO adamant that it's correct. It's often that way on large forums though.

vflyer is a great resource. The people on the forum there can look quite snooty but actually they will help if asked :yes:

16. Coolape

Coolape Addicted to Mickey

Hehe. My sister works for virgin as cabin crew, we always fight about working for the enemy. Hope your all sat together anyhow. I regularly sit on my own being staff. The important thing to remember though is your going to have a great holiday :)

17. keith

yeah :) I must admit, I'm guilty of sweating the small stuff when really I should just be happy to be going. I guess it's just that it's SOOoooo expensive these days, especially when we pay more for upgrades.

18. Coolape

Coolape Addicted to Mickey

My only hope is virgin and Ba don't go down the Ryanair route. Where they charge for almost everything and luggage.

I'm not sure what I'd do then.

19. keith

It's worrying. OK Economy has never been a money-maker, it keeps the plane flying and PE/UC/duty free etc. give the profit.

I think the problem for Virgin is premium economy is just no longer good enough. The seats aren't that much better, the bubble has been given half to economy, the IFE is the same, the meals aren't better :/

UC is superb but very expensive and limited capacity.

I think they need a good old fashioned BA style "business class" revamp of PE

MystikPiglit likes this.
  20. Tony G

Tony G Serious Forum Regular

You spoke to strangers?!?!

Who are you, and what have you done with the real Keith? :toetap:

MystikPiglit likes this.