1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Virgin atlantic to face record loss of £135m

Discussion in 'Transportation & Travel' started by keith, Mar 10, 2013.

1. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

The Sunday Times has reported that Richard Branson’s airline faces record loss.

Virgin Atlantic is facing record annual losses of £135m, raising fears of job cuts at the airline founded by Sir Richard Branson, the paper reports.

An internal memo sent by the airline’s new chief executive, Craig Kreeger, warned that its financial performance is “well behind where we anticipated”.

Ballooning fuel costs and increased competition on transatlantic services are blamed for the losses, which follow a £80.2m deficit last year.

So.. anyone worried or do we feel virgin will pull through?
  2. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

I think they will pull through :fingers: I think its the APD that is killing a lot of these airlines, it adds so much to the cost of flights and people just can't afford to go. Now that they have merged I think it's a good thing :yes:

If it folds it will be the end of our trips accross the Atlantic :sigh: we can only go because of the Flying Club offers :sigh:
  3. keith

I don't know how much of the loss was because of all the refurbs taking place... if so then it's understandable in a way (even though I don't think the refurbs were brilliant, certainly not for pe)

I truly hope they don't go. I do think there's a risk with the Delta acquisition of 49%. They've got to be thinking why don't we just scrap virgin, keep the profitable routes and roll them into delta.

Hope not though!
  4. Wendy

Oh no, please don't say that, I won't be able to go home every year :sigh:
  5. keith

Let's hope it stays the virgin we know and love to moan about :hug2:

It's definitely a MUCH stronger brand than Delta over here, I think they'd be quite mad to do it.

I do feel they need to give more through to the extras for premium economy though :(
  6. Wendy

Oh definitely :yes: I think they have improved UC except for the amenity bags which are rubbish and the food has been quite nice. Although from what I've read other airlines are still much better. But then if I can fly UC for about £900 each then it's very good deal :yes:

PE seems to have got worse than it used to be especially with the sharing of the bubble, I still can't understand Virgin's thinking on that change :unsure:
  7. keith

really hoping to go UC later in the year if we can find some nice upgrade deals :yes:

As you say, UC for 900 each is basically what I pay for PE so it's a good deal
  8. Wendy

I'll find you something :D
  9. keith

yayay thanks :D

I must say I find it really hard to work it out online :/ and I don't have the best luck talking to them either. It's generally just "no sorry" rather than "ok, if you were to shift your days 3 days earlier and stay 16 instead of 14 nights, then you can do this"
  10. Wendy

I've been doing it so long now, I find what I want online and then phone up and tell them what I want. I always speak to the UC team as they are in the UK and very helpful :yes:
  11. welshjim22

welshjim22 Earning my ears

There are many financial factors including the refit of a number of aircraft thi year which wouldn't be cheap. Ultimately they have become an average airlin where they were onc3e a step above many competitors. Silly things like VH customers getting preferential treatment at airport, onboard and downtown disney checkin. Yes VH pay for some of these perks but why penalise your own customers. Furthermore, it doesn't cost anything to give your staff a swift kick up the back side and to refocus on customer service. Why do they make prebooking seats such a joke, not understand the product they sell or generally just be rude.
  12. Kate

Kate Serious Forum Regular

i find it hard to believe that an airline which charges so much can have such a huuuge loss! I do understand that it doesnt all go to them though, dont get me wrong - all i seem to look at though is the final price at the end of the booking form and if i could get that cost down by going with someone else then i probably would. im afraid with how things are at the moment we just cant afford to be loyal to one particular company
  13. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

That`s my situation Keith. :yes:
    Fortunately as we can be very flexible, I always ring the UC team and say words like " Ok I want to fly out on such and such a date [give or take a few days], and to return again on such and such a date [give or take a few days]" and leave it up to them.
    I also add that I have a companion flight option, together with oodles of FC miles so "What deal can you offer?"

As Wendy said, the UC team are really good and I have done some cracking UC deals with them, including our next trip in June.