1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Virgin PE or Upper?

Discussion in 'Transportation & Travel' started by goofygal, Nov 15, 2008.

1. goofygal

goofygal Imagineer

Hi :) Im not sure we can quite reach for upper but we would give it a shot if it was really a lot better than premium economy? Anyone feel it's worth the money?

2. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

Well, if you can afford it then definitely go for UC.
    After you have tried UC it really spoils you from flying in Ecomony or PE for that matter...BUT personally I don`t really think that I could bring myself to pay the extra £££`s involved.
    We normally fly back from Orlando in UC, but this is funded by our VA Flying Club miles.
    You get the most benefit on the return leg as you can sleep in a full length bed, not to mention the bacon butties for breakfast. :lol:
    We flew out in UC once, but although it was great, PE on the outward bound journey is fine by me.

3. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

i agree that if you fly in a higher class it seems even worse when you go back to economy. The one time we have done this, a few years ago and we got it free as we knew someone that upgraded us for free it was lovely on the way there but i couldn't sleep on the way back even with the flat bed. It was nice though

4. Slowhand

A few glasses of wine over dinner, on top of the "welcome" champagne, the pre-dinner cocktails, and after dinner brandy always does the trick for me! :lol:

5. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

We've never flown UC but we do fly PE because of miles. I would find it very hard to go back to economy now, so part of me doesn't want to try UC :eek:

6. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

that would mean heartburn for me :lol:

7. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

hmmm I dunno :)

For the longest time I was totally against paying for PE myself although always used it or upper for business travel. My theory was I had to be awake at the other end on business but for a holiday it was just a means of getting there.

I think I have to go back on that though. Virgin economy is so poor now in my opinion, that PE is the really the minimum "ok" class to go for. I would still go economy just to get there cheaply :) but shudder, I'd want to sleep the whole time.

Now PE v UPPER. I found upper class with the new pods quite unsociable when travelling with a companion. There's no easy way to chat between pods and so it felt a little like flying solo. Now personally being an old grumpy grouch I'm ok with that :lol: but DW was non-too impressed.

Also the angle the pods sit at relative to the direction of motion takes some getting used to plus I was sitting at an angle staring at someone across the aisle which was a bit weird too :lol:

I WAS able to sleep much more easily though and give it full marks for that, re-enforcing sir slowhands comments about having it on the way back.

All in all, would I pay for upper over pe? not personally no. Would I pay for PE over Economy? Well I've changed my mind on that one and would say yes.

8. Slowhand

Keith, so far I`ve almost always managed to get seats 6A & K which are right at the "pointy" end of the cabin so you can hold a conversation with your partner even if it means shuffling onto one of the "companion" seats occasionally
    That said, I spend most of the flight asleep so speaking to someone isn`t an issue with me.
    I agree though that on our first trip in UC [outward bound] we had seats right at the rear of the cabin on opposite sides. Holding a conversation with your companion on that occasion was impossible, especially as the bar was located between us.

Oh I so want to comment on that! :lol:

9. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

:laugh:

(apparently THAT happens quite often too)

10. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

i think i need to find some extra pennies!!!

11. daveann

daveann Addicted to Mickey

well i can honestly say we flew virgin for last week and their economy was abysmal both outwards and return. i think they have got their name in atlantic flights and now think they dont need to bother i was dissapointed with there service i was really unwell on the way home and dave pressed twice for a stewardess to get me a drink and it took 15 minutes for anyone and that was only because they came passed it wasnt serious but i was very unwell at the time i didnt know about this until we got down from the plane. this wasnt the only thing but i do think they need to look at the service they are giving now...........