Virgin

Discussion in 'Transportation, Travel and Car Rental' started by Deafjeff, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Well-Known Member

Training and Development Manager
    Hi all,

I was reading at other Disney forum (this still my favourite one!) there are quite a few complaints about Virgin. People claimed that they have gotten worse lately.

Anyone felt the same?

Some even said that the upper class isn't what it used to be like before. I'm wondering if this still a small number of cases as we always found them to be really good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. keith

keith Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Home Page:
    It's like anything, familiarity breeds contempt.

I spoke to a customer I've had in our business since 2006 the other day, he was leaving and I Said why? he said, no reason just felt like we should look around. :/

I kinda think it's like that with Disney/virgin etc.

That aside, when Virgin started, they started with a defined mission, to disrupt the dull BA style airlines. So, for less money, you got Virgin with the stunning red heels ;-) and a much more playful attitude. PE was less than business but as good, upper class sounded as good as 1st but was almost affordable.

In upper class, depending on the fare you paid, you could get limo to/from the airport, a rather nice executive toy (could be a wallet, or something), the crew learnt your name, there was great food on proper crockery with great service, after dinner drinks, cake service on a multi tier stand and so on. All that and of course the best seats in the industry.

So flash forward to now. The seats are lagging behind other airlines. They've cut down on the upper class perks, there's no cake stand, no afternoon tea, no learning your name, no after dinner drink (well cheese and port perhaps). It's starting to feel like virgin upper is just a smaller cabin, better seat and the thrilling opportunity to pay to subsidise the economy passengers.

Now, you can ask for some of that stuff. If you ask for afternoon tea, they'll bring you sandwiches and tea (at the moment) but it's definitely less posh than it used to be.

*but* and here's the thing, what's the alternative?

1st class is still more expensive generally in other airlines.

economy is rubbish everywhere

PE/business - well, depends. you can get a better attitude staff wise from ba or a.n.other but virgin still makes it easy, free drinks throughout etc.

Thomas cook/thomson... well they're ok especially in PE. The attitude is more care free rather than virgin "we're the best" so it's more "hey mate have a beer or 5?" BUT if they have a problem oh good god, be prepared for the worst. They just dont have the planes to call in so the delays can be really bad.

Virgin, well, it's not living up to the promise and the worst of it is, it's the people :( it's like they all got together and decided to just do "less" care "less" and make it easier on themselves but having said all that, then you get a couple of good ones in the cabin and they can't do enough for you and the flight is made Disney special :/

I prefer Virgin still because I know them. If they have a problem I trust them to still get me where I'm going whereas other airlines have more limited capacity for that (BA would be an alternative but they dont fly direct from manchester)

but back to basics....

if someone has only been ryan air, easyjet etc... and they try virgin economy, wow the drinks are all free? all the in flight entertainment!!! wow!

then you try PE oh so much nicer seats and smaller cabins :) great and our own meals hehe this is the life

Then you save the miles and do UC... wow.... fold down beds, sleep suits, special menus with none of those stupid foil meals.....

So you see, if you have ten years context, it's easy to feel like things are more expensive for less :/ but objectively, it's probably still great if you take it for what it is on the day ;-)

3. Deafjeff

I have to agree. We have never so far experienced bad service. We lost our seats a few times and we got them back in time.

Next year is our first time we will be travelling upper class return so hopefully it will be a great experience.

We love PE but have to admit it's so annoying to see that they have ran out of some of the food by the time they reached us.

What was your recent experience on UC like?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. keith

keith Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Home Page:
    We got on, had pleasant service from well meaning staff. The meals were as good as airline food gets. The pods had more leg room than you could use so stretching out not a problem, and we arrived at the other end on time and as stress free as is possible.

I wouldn't say we've ever said "oh my, remember that airline lunch, I'd book again just for that" and it was extremely expensive for what it is *but* for your first time I think the chances are you'll be pretty wowed :)

5. Deafjeff

We came home last year in UC and we loved it :)

Be interesting to see what's the new clubhouse going to be like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk