1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

walkie talkies or pay as you go phones?

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by eeyoreguy, Aug 29, 2008.

1. eeyoreguy

eeyoreguy Earning my ears

We did have a pair of walkie talkies from walmart a few years ago but lost in a move. Is it still better to buy some of those or these cheap walmart phones? I've seen some called tracphones or something like that

2. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

Since you're starting from scratch, I think I would go with the prepaid cell phones, unless you need a ton of them. For just two--and if calls are kept short--they probably would cost little more than the radios.

That said, not many people seem to be using the radios at WDW any more. They were quite popular in 2003, and the frequencies were quite busy.

If you need same-park communication, the radios probably would be fine. Multiple-park communication probably would be better on prepaid cell phones due to the distance between some of the parks.

3. sazzledazzle

sazzledazzle Earning my ears

We bought walkies for our trip last year and then found we could not charge them up in US as voltage or something is different..... ended up not using them I was so dissapointed Dh just laughed as he thought it was a crackpot idea anyhow.....!

4. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

I'd go with mobiles- you can contact each other from broader ranges and no-one's frequency can interfere. We found it hard to talk on our radios, from within the same park

5. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I find mobiles/cells to be a real problem. Have just spent several very frustrating days trying to keep in touch with family (where are you? where are you now? where are you going)?

The ringers are hard to hear, and unless you carry it on your body, the vibration mode doesn't help much either. Signals at WDW are interfered with frequently while using mobiles, so the calls cut out and break up.

Texting is a little better for understanding, but then you are still left with the "oh I didn't hear it" excuse. :sigh;

We have the two way radios and they seem to work better within the same park. Won't work for all communication, of course.

Personally, I found the "pre-electronic communication" method of pick a place and time and BE THERE to be the most effective means of communication and keeping a group on track. :shrug:

6. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

Yeah, I have to agree with you, Tink!

7. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

We bought phones and they were great, it was difficult to hear them when they rang though especially when the ring tone was different to my usual phone :lol:

8. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Better known as "That Guy"

GMRS radios have gotten better over the years, with greater range (in miles line of sight) and there isn't a lot of traffic on the channels. You can pick up a pair her in the states for around $50. Could be a good alternative to trackphone. Here is a dumb question. Do UK and US have similar batteries? Most of the radios work with our AA batteries (1.5 v). What of UK radios?

9. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

Does the mobile you currently have not work in the US?